Bear Studios - Flanker Animations

Thread: Bear Studios - Flanker Animations

Bear Studios - Flanker Animations

Some of the Bear Studios "Flankers" have a "refueling probe" and "refueling spot light" which are animated
    to extend from the aircraft. I'm trying to identify what "key commands" can be used to run the animation outside of the cockpit switches.
    I've tried guessing some possible keys with no luck. With the VC coded into an mdl file are there any utilities that could monitor what commands are being used..?

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    Some of the Bear Studios "Flankers" have a "refueling probe" and "refueling spot light" which are animated
    to extend from the aircraft. I'm trying to identify what "key commands" can be used to run the animation outside of the cockpit switches.
    I've tried guessing some possible keys with no luck. With the VC coded into an mdl file are there any utilities that could monitor what commands are being used..?
    It would be very common that there is no "key" controlling the function. Most likely it is controlled by variables (LVARs) in the gauge code of the VC.

Both FSUIPC and LINDA have the capability to log the LVAR's being used by the gauge programmers to animate and operate the various systems on an FSX sim. I have used LINDA a LOT to find the variables and write snippets of LUA code to assign to my HOTAS.

If you can bear (all puns intended) with me until return home this evening, I will run LINDA with the Flanker and see if we can determine what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    It would be very common that there is no "key" controlling the function. Most likely it is controlled by variables (LVARs) in the gauge code of the VC.

Both FSUIPC and LINDA have the capability to log the LVAR's being used by the gauge programmers to animate and operate the various systems on an FSX sim. I have used LINDA a LOT to find the variables and write snippets of LUA code to assign to my HOTAS.

If you can bear (all puns intended) with me until return home this evening, I will run LINDA with the Flanker and see if we can determine what is going on.

I'll look forward to it, thanks.

Here is the output from the LINDA tracer when flipping the aerial refuel probe switch in the SU-33

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	10808

Here is the output from the LINDA tracer when flipping the aerial refuel probe switch in the SU-33

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	10808

Thanks. I've tried different variations of code to see about a mouse click area to operate the probe with no luck.

(>K:SWITCH_PROBE_REFUEL) 0 Any suggestions...?

Thanks. I've tried different variations of code to see about a mouse click area to operate the probe with no luck.

(>K:SWITCH_PROBE_REFUEL) 0 Any suggestions...?
    This is really the only tracing I've done with the SU-33 and have not written any code for it. There was some odd behavior during the tracing where the switch would work the probe but the LVAR would not change.

It could be there is interaction with another variable.

This is really the only tracing I've done with the SU-33 and have not written any code for it. There was some odd behavior during the tracing where the switch would work the probe but the LVAR would not change.

It could be there is interaction with another variable.
    Could you do a trace of the "refuel light" for me please...? I do appreciate your help...

Could you do a trace of the "refuel light" for me please...? I do appreciate your help...
    Sure, give me a few.

switch_probe_refuel is actuating the probe much more reliably than AirRefuel

"Refuel Light" is reliably actuating the light switch

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	10809

switch_probe_refuel is actuating the probe much more reliably than AirRefuel

"Refuel Light" is reliably actuating the light switch

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	10809
    Sorry for the delay. Do you see in Linda where refuel light is written in a syntax with underscores..? refuel_light..?

Sorry for the delay. Do you see in Linda where refuel light is written in a syntax with underscores..? refuel_light..?

nope...its a space. kinda odd for an LVAR

nope...its a space. kinda odd for an LVAR
    Ok....I think you've given me the variables I need, I just need to work out the code.
    Again my thanks for your help..!

Ok....I think you've given me the variables I need, I just need to work out the code.
    Again my thanks for your help..!

I have two working gauges now, many thanks..!

Not an expert on this but seeing what Seahawk72s is doing, can this same technique be used to assign LVARs to various VC switches/buttons that a payware developer failed to do? I've got a VC full of correctly animated switches with no FSX functions assigned.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Not an expert on this but seeing what Seahawk72s is doing, can this same technique be used to assign LVARs to various VC switches/buttons that a payware developer failed to do? I've got a VC full of correctly animated switches with no FSX functions assigned.
    Absolutely. I use LINDA and FSUIPC to do this for all my aircraft. I have a default FSX profile that applies to every aircraft, then an additional profile with developer specific controls for a given airframe. Last count I had about 15 profiles.

Here is some code for the Iris PC-21. The last bit for trim reset will work with any FSX aircraft.

function PC21_Pitot_Heat_On ()
    ipc.writeLvar("L:PC21_SW2_FS_RC_PROBE_DEICE", 1)
    end

function PC21_Pitot_Heat_Off ()
    ipc.writeLvar("L:PC21_SW2_FS_RC_PROBE_DEICE", 0)
    end

function PC21_Fuel_Cutoff_Toggle ()
    FuelCutoffState = ipc.readLvar("L:PC21_SW2_FS_LC_FUEL_CUTOFF")
    if FuelCutoffState == 0
    then ipc.writeLvar("L:PC21_SW2_FS_LC_FUEL_CUTOFF", 1)
    else ipc.writeLvar("L:PC21_SW2_FS_LC_FUEL_CUTOFF", 0)
    end
    end

function PC21_Land_Light_On ()
    ipc.writeLvar("L:PC21_SW2_FS_RC_LIGHT_LAND", 1)
    end

function PC21_Land_Light_Off ()
    ipc.writeLvar("L:PC21_SW2_FS_RC_LIGHT_LAND", 0)
    end

function PC21_AntiCol_Light_On ()
    ipc.writeLvar("L:PC21_SW2_FS_RC_LIGHT_ANTICOL", 1)
    end

function PC21_AntiCol_Light_Off ()
    ipc.writeLvar("L:PC21_SW2_FS_RC_LIGHT_ANTICOL", 0)
    end

function Trim_Reset ()
    -- rudder trim reset
    ipc.writeUW("0C04", 0)
    -- aileron trim reset
    ipc.writeUW("0C02", 0)
    -- elevator trim reset
    ipc.control (65706, 1)
    ipc.control (65706, 0)
    end

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    ...VC switches/buttons that a payware developer failed to do?...
    Victory103,

Wanted to clarify my statement about "Absolutely" and change it to a "Depending" after reading your question more closely.

The connection between the animated switch and FSX happens with the gauge programming and to a large degree depends on the animations in the VC model. If the animation has a "hook" or event associated with it in the gauge programming, then you can link other code to it to make it function.

Sorry for any confusion I caused by replying too hastily to your question.

Highly recommend the combo of LINDA and FSUIPC if you are interested in exploring this on a specific aircraft.

Victory103,

Wanted to clarify my statement about "Absolutely" and change it to a "Depending" after reading your question more closely.

The connection between the animated switch and FSX happens with the gauge programming and to a large degree depends on the animations in the VC model. If the animation has a "hook" or event associated with it in the gauge programming, then you can link other code to it to make it function.

Sorry for any confusion I caused by replying too hastily to your question.

Highly recommend the combo of LINDA and FSUIPC if you are interested in exploring this on a specific aircraft.
    So do you have a profile for the Bear Studios Flanker...?
    I ask as I am trying to id the landing light var, I did manage to get the taxi light, but both seem to be associated with the same var...(L:GearLight Mode, bool)

Seahawk72s,

Unfortunately have not had time to do as much work with the Flanker as I would like. Started some detailed checklists with the intent of flying it full time for a while. Trying to finish another project first before starting this one

Members who have read this thread: 2