Surprises

Thread: Surprises

Smile Surprises

The wife and I went for a drive yesterday. Actually a house-hunting trip to a town about 50 miles south (long story but I'm getting the urge to get out of the city...)

On the way back I decided to do a bit of back-road touring and this gave me a chance to drop into the High River (CEN4) airport. Hadn't been there in a few years and was interested to see how it's grown. As one of the nearest 'rural' airports around Calgary it's attracted quite a collection of aircraft owners who are looking for lower cst and fewer traffic restrictions so it HAS grown.

We pulled of the secondary highway into the airport and were just cruising around when I saw a familiar tail between the hangars. Drove over to a parking lot where I could get a decent view and there it was...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140727-1_small.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	10684
    C-GTOX an A-26B
    According to Joe Baugher's data:
    34523 (c/n 27802) converted to On Mark Marketeer N9174Z and used by Garrett Corp 1964-1977.
    Modified for a T-76-G turboprop engine in nose position. Converted back to two engines.
    A photo of N9174Z with test engine shows no evidence of Marketeer
    conversion. To Airspray (67) of Red Deer, Alberta, Canada as C-GTOX Jan 6, 1982.
    The Marketeer conversion was removed during conversion to tanker, it then flew as tanker
    #14 named "Hasta Luego". Retired in 2004 and stored at CYQF (Red Deer)
    and offered for sale. Examination of photos of N9174Z and C-GTOX show no evidence
    of Marketeer conversion.

Of interest, in the background is an Aerostar (C-GUES)which was also designed by Ted Smith. Sadly, all I had was my cellphone so good shots were limited. Hopefully I can get back tomorrow with the Nikon.

So, that done, I turned to walk back to the car and tucked behind another hangar was...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140727-2_small.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	10686

N237AC As there was no one around late on a Sunday evening I couldn't get any info. I guess, with the service trailer and an Ericson fuel bowser in attendance it is going to, or returning from one of the BC/NWT wildfires but again... maybe tomorrow.

Made for a nice, and unexpected end to the day.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Good stuff!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 0