About Talon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About Talon

About Talon

Many of you may not know that Talon was one of the responders to he attack on the WTC on 9/11/2001.He doesn't talk much about it but sometimes you can see how much it effected him.He has got some very serious respiratory problems since 2002 because of it and has been in the hospital several times over the yeads.He has to be very careful in what physical activities he does.He has been a liitle under the weather for about 2 weeks now but nothing serious and he has it under control.

If you click on the link below you will see more and more first respnders are having problems.Thankfully there is a fund to help these people who gave their all to save lives and search for survivors.Most people don't realize this and some just don't think about the attack anymore.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/07/2...6pLid%3D507741
    Hiede
    Last edited by Hiede; July 28th, 2014 at 10:38.

Thanks Hiede. Thanks to Talon too. I fear that you are right concerning people and memories.

Icon22 Reply...

Heide,

Thanks for letting us know, and I hope Al feels better. It's part of my job to make sure that the legacy and lessons get passed on to my students...but I am now teaching a generation of students who, by 2015-2016, will have been born right around the attack, and have no concept of life before then. It's tough to paint a picture of that reality if you've never known it.

When I tell the students where I was and what I was doing when the Challenger blew up, or the tanks in Tiananmen Square, the Berlin Wall being torn down, and the breakup of the Soviet Union, they look at me like I have four heads.

(In reality, I only have three...lol )
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Best wishes to Al, hope he's feeling better soon.

And a timely reminder of one of those few days that gets seared into the memory, never to be forgotten.

Hope he has a fast recovery and takes it easy for a while.

TheBookie

Here's hoping he gets over this bout of trouble OK.
    The first responders have generally had a hard time of it, since the event - the amount of toxic material in the air was massive, and most of them have suffered (or died), since then. Initially with little or no help from authorities. The treatment of those first responders is another sour taste in the mouth of those with feelings, to come out of the whole 9/11 scenario.

Take it easy old fella!

We were supposed to sail to Bora Bora last Monday but decided to head for home instead. We are 2 days from home.When we get there we will take Talon to the hospital just o be on the safe side.We have contacted the Coast Guard and they will send a helicopter in case of an emergency.He is holding his own but has problems with his breathing. We are keeping an eye on him 24/7.

Hiede

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    ...the amount of toxic material in the air was massive, and most of them have suffered (or died), since then. Initially with little or no help from authorities. The treatment of those first responders is another sour taste in the mouth of those with feelings, to come out of the whole 9/11 scenario....
    Considering when the WTC was built in the early 1960's, I bet there were at least tons of asbestos dust floating in the air. Here, back then, it was used everywhere as a regular building material, used both as an insulating agent and on roofs, no one knew at the time what kind of a health hazard it posed.

Not only it was used in private buildings, it was also used in public buildings, schools, hospitals, all kind of industrial buildings and infrastructures, all of modern cowsheds built during those years were roofed with it. It was regarded as a cheap, almost eternal material. A common name brand here for large roofing panels back then, made out of asbestos, was "Eternit"..... imagine how lightly it was taken!

Reclamation and cleanup of asbestos is still going on to date here, it will take several years before it will all be removed and it will cease to be a threat to public health. Its removal it's also very expensive and it requires tons of environmental authorisations to boot. The usual bureaucracy crap, when it would be needed to act fast instead, without looking into one's wallet first!

I hope it's not the case with Talon, but his breathing ailment described by Hiede doesn't sound nice to me. I didn't know he is also among the 9/11 heroes. I am glad I know now, it goes to complete a picture of a person I came to like over all of these years of SOH membership: I am proud to be among his SOH friends.
    Spman's comments remind me also of all the unsung heroes every country has. It's so sad and upsetting that most of them are so quickly forgotten, while so-called "negative heroes" are instead looked upon with sympathy, even greeted with success at times by our modern society. Yech!

Talon, I am so very sorry to read this thread, I was not aware either of your health problems. I send all of my best wishes for a speedy recovery and I'll pray for you.

Your friend,
    Stefano
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Auch von meiner Seite Beste Wünsche und gute Besserung. Ich habe selbst eine Cousine am 11 September verloren.

Icon9 Reply...

Heide,

Please tell Al that he is in my thoughts and prayers. My father died from COPD, (though he only smoked a pipe briefly in college) and he once described how laborous every breath was. His words were "it's like trying to breathe through a straw."

I can imagine that's similar to what Al is going through right now...every breath is a struggle.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Hopefully he is still breathing that clean, fresh Hawaiian air!

As Rami said, please pass on to Al that he's in my thoughts and prayers too.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by kelticheart View Post
    Considering when the WTC was built in the early 1960's, I bet there were at least tons of asbestos dust floating in the air. Here, back then, it was used everywhere as a regular building material, used both as an insulating agent and on roofs, no one knew at the time what kind of a health hazard it posed......................

Talon, I am so very sorry to read this thread, I was not aware either of your health problems. I send all of my best wishes for a speedy recovery and I'll pray for you.

Your friend,
    Stefano
    The owners were facing a $1-2 BILLION bill to clean out all the asbestos, before 9-11.

Same in Australia - known under the tradename "Fibrolite" - our house, built in 1919 was clad, inside and out, with Fibrolite sheeting! The outside and most of the inside has been (carefully) replaced. (It's handy being a trained Carpenter (among other professions) - or not, sometimes....), but the legacy still lingers on in Australia as well.

I, also was not aware of Talons problems - no wonder he took to sea.

Thanks Heide , got Al on the prayer list ,

We made it home,Talon is now in the hospital and his doctor is there to do some tests. I will know more later tomorrow.

Hiede

Blog Entries
    I will post a need for prayers for Al at our church this week. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

My Best Wishes

Hello Hiede
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
    Talon has helped and encouraged me (and many other people) with CFS2, as well as being a major contributor to CFS2 mods.
    I had no idea of his background (regarding the WTC).
    Give my best wishes to Al.
    All the best to you all.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by stuart277 View Post
    Hello Hiede
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
    Talon has helped and encouraged me (and many other people) with CFS2, as well as being a major contributor to CFS2 mods.
    I had no idea of his background (regarding the WTC).
    Give my best wishes to Al.
    All the best to you all.
    Cheers
    Stuart
    Amen for my part as well!

Al,

Please, get better. I'll say a heartfelt prayer for you.

Kurt
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Hiede...

......please tell Talon that he CAN'T get sick. He has more Korean missions to do! Seriously, I have never met him but can empathize, pray, and wish the best for him.
    As a retired first responder,who had just retired at the time, I have many friends how are now living with the situation like Talon. It is day by day sometimes. Living, and working, in NY I had many friends who perished that day along with some officers I knew and some I helped train for their jobs. Horror stories abound of that day.
    Many believe it was just the asbestos used in the buildings. It is not the only culprit. One of the main culprits also appears to be the pulverised concrete. It appearently is causing sciliaosis(sp) of the lungs of some. Think of the warnings on bags of concrete that you buy at the home stores. READ the warnings on them!
    I will try to attach photos of the horrible day for those who don't remember. 911 NEVER FORGET!!!!!!!!!!! Attachment 10893Attachment 10893

According to the Skype message service, this is his birthday. Happy birthday Al and many happy returns.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Yes today is his birthday and we will celebrate it when he gets out.

His lungs are clearing and he is breathing better.If all goes well he will be home by the weekend but will have to take it easy.

Fibber I lost my husband in December 2002 because of 9/11,he was also Talon's brotheer.They were both there helping.

We could see the WTC from where we lived at the time and saw the second plane hit.

Hiede

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Praying for Al..
    May he recover quickly and completely. Amen!!

I read a while ago that a firefighter or technical measuring devices detected with high radiation and then bluish lights that were camouflaged in any way with the decoration of blue reflectors.

I do not save5 the link but Here is It.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCT3ImoyemU

this is strange, because according that I read ,many firefighters worked with gas and dust masks even these were also affected, could have other causes besides the dust should formally investigate.

wish you a speedy recovery Talon

Members who have read this thread: 3