Rising Sun mission package ready for Testing

Thread: Rising Sun mission package ready for Testing

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries

Rising Sun mission package ready for Testing

I have a AVG/ CBI mission package 15 missions ready for testing.
    If any are interested E- mail me.

The Hobbit Hole gang is now being called from their battles in Middle Earth to defend the CBI and China..
    As soon as tested I will upload this to SOH..
    Thanks all

FIRST COMBAT

The Third A.V.G. squadron moved to Rangoon on December 12, 1941, to join the R.A.F. in the defense of Rangoon. The First and Second squadrons flew from Toungoo to Kunming on the afternoon of the 18th. The first combat for the A.V.G. occurred over southern Yunnan Province on December 20, 1941. In their first combat, a combination of the First and Second Squadrons, shot down nine out of ten Japanese bombers with a loss of one A.V.G. aircraft. The second engagement brought the Third Squadron onto action over Rangoon on December 23, with the R.A.F. flying beside the Tigers. The total haul of Japs was six bombers and four fighters. The R.A.F. lost five planes and pilots and the A.V.G. lost four planes and two pilots.

Then, on Christmas Day, two waves totaling 80 Jap bombers and 48 fighters hit Rangoon. The A.V.G. knocked down 23 of them, the biggest victory of the war, with six more Jap planes believed shot down over the Gulf of Martaban. The A.V.G. suffered not the loss of a single plane.

The 28th brought another heavy enemy attack - 20 bombers and 25 fighters. The A.V.G. got 10 of them with no losses.

The next day, the 29th, the Japs threw 40 bombers and 20 fighters against the Tigers who scored 18 kills with a loss of only a single aircraft.

Now it was the day of New Year's Eve but it dawned with no let up in the Jap assault. 80 planes crowding the skies over Rangoon. The Tigers shot down 15 without the loss of a single aircraft.

In 11 days of fighting, the A.V.G. had officially knocked 75 enemy aircraft out of the skies with an undetermined number of probable kills such as the losses the Japs suffered over the Gulf of Martaban. The A.V.G. losses were two pilots and six aircraft.

Early in January, the Rangoon defense was reinforced by eight planes from the First Squadron and the A.V.G. began their first strafing of the war. Hitting the Jap air base in Thailand, they wiped out a dozen planes on the ground. On January 13, the remainder of the First Squadron joined the other A.V.G. forces at Rangoon and there followed a series of raids on Jap air bases. Ten days later, January 23, after a series of engagements over Kunming and Rangoon, the Japes attacked Rangoon in force again, 72 planes appearing there and the A.V.G. got 21 of them with the loss of only one American pilot. Air battles continued over Rangoon until it finally fell to enemy ground forces at the end of February. During this time, in one strafing raid in Thailand, the A.V.G. knocked out upwards of 60 enemy aircraft on the ground, the biggest ground victory of the war. But advancing Jap ground forces slowly drove the A.V.G. to bases at Magwe in Burma and eventually into the interior of China.

There, the Tigers continued to carry out their final missions, supporting the Chinese ground forces on both eastern and western fronts as well as defending Chinese cities against attacks by the Japanese Air Force.

Concerning the A.V.G. combat statistics, Chennault says:

"Although, the A.V.G. was blooded over China, it was the air battles over Rangoon that stamped the hallmark on its fame as the Flying Tigers. The cold statistics for the 10 weeks the A.V.G. served at Rangoon show its strength varied between twenty and five serviceable P-40's. This tiny force met a total of a thousand-odd Japanese aircraft over Southern Burma and Thailand. In 31 encounters they destroyed 217 enemy planes and probably destroyed 43. Our losses in combat were four pilots killed in the air, one killed while strafing and one taken prisoner. Sixteen P-40's were destroyed. During the same period, the R.A.F., fighting side by side with the A.V.G., destroyed 74 enemy planes, probably destroyed 33, with a loss of 22 Buffaloes and Hurricanes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buffalo kill 001.jpg   AVG 004.jpg   67 squad 004.jpg   Formosa 014.jpg  

I've been flying some of Talons AVG missions,so far 10 of the 40 he did.They start December 20,1941 and end May 1942.His second package picks up from May 1942 and goes to July 4,1942.In this pak you fly alot from Kunming and Poasan in China. 25 missions.

He really built up Rangoon with ports and industries.He even put in an airbase at Kunming and Rangoon so your flight can takeoff without crashing.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    I understand, one has to add the facilities right now in Rising Sun,
    Makes mission building a bit harder when one has to do this.
    My hat is off to Talon, I know his work has always been a blessing to many.
    Me included..
    Oh yea!!
    Last edited by HouseHobbit; July 24th, 2014 at 18:09.

Were any of there mission sets ever released?

My CFS3 Site: www.mrjmaint.com/cfs3/ and CFS3 Facebook Page.

My Business Site www.MRJMaintenance.com and Facebook Page.

My Personal Facebook Page.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mitch,
    No, I got sucked into ETO, and forgot to finish this. OOOPPS!

I am doing a BOB expansion set right now, and as soon as I finish this I will touch up the AVG missions and get them out.
    Heck, I will have to re-fly all of this and check the reports from my testers (The Hobbit Hole gang)
    I was planning to delicate these to Talon when released.
    Thanks for reminding me.

Members who have read this thread: 0