a rant for avast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a rant for avast

a rant for avast

I had to retire the FSFrance/Historic Jetliners Group Concorde for one reason... MY ANTIVIRUS SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since I updated avast, it finds certain gauges as a suspicious file... and I AM FRICKIN' FRACKIN' SICK OF IT!!!!!!!!

Lightbulb

A solution:
    Put the entire aircraft file in exclusion
    I suppose that Avast have this option
    I use ESET NOD32 and it's a exclusion option !
    Or better .. put your FS2004 in exclusion

Quote Originally Posted by Navtech View Post
    A solution:
    Put the entire aircraft file in exclusion
    I suppose that Avast have this option
    I use ESET NOD32 and it's a exclusion option !
    Or better .. put your FS2004 in exclusion
    I have Avast, go to settings, then anti-virus , at bottom of list is file paths to be excluded from scans etc.
    I put the whole fs9 in exclusions to be sure.

ttfn

Pete

Microsoft's own "Security Essentials" (Free) has served me faithfully for years. Used in conjunction with "Malwarebytes" (basically Free also) and "Unchecky" ('nother freeby) I have been virus free and worm free for years. Marvellous. (touch wood)
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Been using it for years without issues.
    I am trying it out, Bjoern.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

Been using it for years without issues.
    Likewise.............

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Microsoft's own "Security Essentials" (Free) has served me faithfully for years. Used in conjunction with "Malwarebytes" (basically Free also) and "Unchecky" ('nother freeby) I have been virus free and worm free for years. Marvellous. (touch wood)
    "Security Essentials"? You may as well not bother at all.
    AVG do a free product that consistently gets good reviews in the computer press. Get it here.

Dave

I'm pretty happy about MS Security Essentials.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I'm pretty happy about MS Security Essentials.
    You shouldn't be. It's more full of holes than a Swiss cheese.
    That you haven't been hacked so far (as far as you know) is more by luck than judgement.

Do yourself a favour and replace it with something worthwhile. It needn't cost.
    As a bonus, you'd get a better firewall, too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    You shouldn't be. It's more full of holes than a Swiss cheese.
    That you haven't been hacked so far (as far as you know) is more by luck than judgement.

Do yourself a favour and replace it with something worthwhile. It needn't cost.
    As a bonus, you'd get a better firewall, too.

Dave
    I have to agree with Dave. I had a friend who got a piece of malware and ran amok on his system installing all kinds of software. Some of the software it installed was other antivirus programs. MS Security Essentials pretty much let the malware have its way with him. By the time I got to it to fix it he was pretty messed up and I opted to rebuild rather than fix.

I will wager $1 the reason you are happy is you have had no events. The day you have one you will realize how unprotected you have been.

Back on topic: I have had AVAST do the same thing to programs I have had for years. If you have otherwise been happy with them then just exclude the folder the gauges are in. Everyone runs the risk of having false positives show up.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

I'll take a look at other antivirus listed above, but Avast is EXCLUDED.
    I used it for many years, back when it was simple, efficient and fast. Now it's just got fat and slow, and annoying. I won't reinstall that program.
    When I switched to Security Essentials, it had very good reviews. Nowadays, this isn't the case anymore, it's rated quite badly. So that would be a good reason to change it.
    But I will greatly miss its simplicity.

I'll take a look at other antivirus listed above, but Avast is EXCLUDED.
    I used it for many years, back when it was simple, efficient and fast. Now it's just got fat and slow, and annoying. I won't reinstall that program.
    When I switched to Security Essentials, it had very good reviews. Nowadays, this isn't the case anymore, it's rated quite badly. So that would be a good reason to change it.
    But I will greatly miss its simplicity.
    What is you antivirus system, Daube?

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    "Security Essentials"? You may as well not bother at all.
    AVG do a free product that consistently gets good reviews in the computer press. Get it here.

Dave
    Horses for courses, I tried AVG about 7 years ago, it allowed my MBR to get trashed by a worm or virus. So naturally it leaves a bad taste. I fully accept they have probably fixed it but there is always that unpleasant memory.
    For that same reason I tend to avoid Mexican food.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I have been using AVAST! for at least four years. My ISP cancelled their "in house" AV and I did some due diligence research and settled on AVAST! free. It does everything I want it to and it doesn't cost a dime. The only thing I find bothersome about it is having to repeatedly close the attempts to trick me in to buying an upgraded version that I neither want, nor need. But clicking the little X is not a problem for me.

AVAST!, AFAIC, is great. It has NEVER given me an ounce of trouble.

LA
    ...things will go as they will; and there's no use hurrying to meet them.

I've been using AVAST for years with no issues. I even have a few IT buddies who use it on their personal machines.

It comes down to what you're comfortable with.
    IMHO there are two points that one should take into account, nothing is ever really 'Free', and three layers of protection should be the standard.
    For me, Webroot Security Essentials has been excellent, allied with Windows 'Firewall' (such as it is!) and the paid version of Piriform's 'Crap Cleaner'.
    There is a free version of 'Crap Cleaner' which works well enough, so much so that it convinced me to pay for the full version.
    The only real security is cheap and easy, unplug your internet cable from the wall socket.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Exclamation

Well my computer's FUBAR.
    I am posting this reply on my Nexus tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by BoeingvsAirbusNKL View Post
    Well my computer's FUBAR.
    I am posting this reply on my Nexus tablet.
    What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by kikas View Post
    What happened?
    I think spyware or a virus... Apparently Avira was slacking on the job. The computer was updating but it won't let me use any program.

So if I understood the sequence correctly, you had Avast in the past, but you uninstalled it to install Avira instead, and then your computer got a problem with a virus or something similar ?

Have you tried launching Windows in safe mode to trigger a system restore to yesterday ?

I might try it out, daube.

I also have what I call the FUBAR fixer (my father).

bad news

The FUBAR fixer said my compute might need a complete wipe.

That means I lose all my flightsim files and other stuff... And I do not want to sacrifice all my files. :-(

Have you tried launching Windows in safe mode to trigger a system restore to yesterday ?
    Yes but still the same result. X-P

This has worked for me when a client/friend/family member has needed me to destroy the village to save it.......
    No backup I'm guessing (well, it happens a lot) and while a bit extreme, I've often re-loaded the O/S on a new Hard Drive (they're not that expensive), plugged the stuffed one in as a secondary and (most of the time) salvaged data that is important.
    It needs to be done as a hot swap or the system will pickup the dud O/S and give you two start options, so don't even think about rebooting with the old drive 'hot'.
    Without knowing your system I'm only going on what I can get away with, however, if you do get it sorted I suggest you buy a decent size external drive and use that as a permanent backup, and buy a decent anti virus/web security program.
    Always best to plan for a Doomsday scenario!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 2