Texture Trouble!

Thread: Texture Trouble!

Texture Trouble!

So I'm a stickler fro colors on skins and I've been methodically working my way through ETO British skins and slightly modifying them to suit. Everything was fine until I his the Photo Recce Mosquitoes. When I modify them and save them using the default settings on the DDS filter I'm using with Photoshop, I'm getting various parts of the airframe going invisible from certain angles. It is consistent and has happened with two different PR Mossies. I presume it's a DDS setting. Any ideas?

Sounds like you have an Alpha Layer turned on.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Or it's in the wrong format. There are several different formats that all share the .dds extension. DXT3 and DXT5 format have caused similar bugs for me. Try saving it as a DXT1 .dds or a 24 bit .dds (larger file size, but higher quality).

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Hi All,

for aircraft textures you need to use DXT1 (with or without an alpha chanel) the other formats are all used for various textures within CFS3 such as effects, scenery etc.

DXT1 = Aircraft, vehicles, ships, characters, terrain images etc (with or without an aplha channel)

DXT3 = scenery objects such as rail road tracks, roads, gauge images with alpha applied,

DXT5 = effects, bomb sight images,

DDS 24 bit = clouds, weather etc

If you use any of the formats other than DXT1 for aircraft, vehicles etc you will eventually get graphical gitches.

Another side effect of using the wrong dds format is the size of the texture will go up dramatically, using DXT5 for instance will turn a 2048x2048 sized texture from roughly 2.7mb into as much as a 12mb file. this will use up a lot of HD space, especially if you have ETO with approximately 400 aircraft.

regards Rob.
    Last edited by Capt. Winters; July 23rd, 2014 at 02:15. Reason: gramma, added info on size
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

24 bit and 32 bit (texture+alpha) work for model textures as well, I save all of mine in that format. They do not use compression, so they are larger files, but the quality is better. The DXT files use compression, and have the advantage of being smaller, but the process results in increased pixelation each time it is saved in that format.

Thanks all! Using DTX1 w/1-bit Alpha does the trick. Went back and re did them all as the file sizes were decidedly larger than necessary in DTX3.

Members who have read this thread: 0