Microsoft Confirms Aces Closure
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Confirms Aces Closure

Microsoft Confirms Aces Closure

In a statement, Kelda Rericha of Edelman, Microsoft's public relations firm, said that the decision was made within Microsoft's Internal Entertainment Business "to align our people against our highest priorities."

Right.....

http://pc.ign.com/articles/947/947737p1.html

Wow, talk about devastating news. Ouch in every way possible.

So Phil, are you and crew going to get together and continue on with your own company?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

"Does this mean the end of the Flight Simulator franchise? According to Rericha, "We are committed to the Flight Simulator franchise which has proven to be a successful PC based game for the last 27 years."

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Wow, talk about devastating news. Ouch in every way possible.

So Phil, are you and crew going to get together and continue on with your own company?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    no, I am quite happy at Intel.
    http://www.futuregpu.net
    ex Lead PM, Core Platform, Aces Studio, MGS
    now LRB native title enabler at Intel

They probably can not do that for Contractual Reasons.

MS still owns their FS and its code.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

SOH-CM-2023
    Reircha also speaks of MS's commitment to the Flight Simulator Franchise. Ha!
    How can you continue when you fire nearly the whole staff.
    She mentions "flying games".
    Ha again!
    Does that mean a very dumb downed version in the future on X-Box?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilTaylor View Post
    no, I am quite happy at Intel.
    Well THAT is what counts and I'm happy that you are happy. Good and congrats :ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    "Does this mean the end of the Flight Simulator franchise? According to Rericha, "We are committed to the Flight Simulator franchise which has proven to be a successful PC based game for the last 27 years."

Mike
    see my blog, I talk to the fact some vague future opportunity was mentioned but no details are available at this time.
    http://www.futuregpu.net
    ex Lead PM, Core Platform, Aces Studio, MGS
    now LRB native title enabler at Intel

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Dang... Department shutdown..

:faint:

I was hoping this was temporary until things improved...
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=239775 Jan10 in a post at Avsim i related the reasons i believed that FSXI would be a console game and that PC gaming was a part of history .

I was kind of suprised at the silence that followed, less so now.

For those of us that prefer to use the pc for gaming this is a real blow. My thoughts and good wishes go out to those people so abruptly let go. Hopefully that message from Microsofts HR was a condensed version, if not that is one Cold Hearted S.O.B. of an HR manager, who is in need of a long lay off to see how it feels. Man I need a beer....

Ol' Jarhead :friday:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_Jodry-VJPL View Post
    http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=239775 Jan10 in a post at Avsim i related the reasons i believed that FSXI would be a console game and that PC gaming was a part of history .

I was kind of suprised at the silence that followed, less so now.
    By posting the link to AVSIM forums I think you broke it

I get this from their forums...

and I think you are right.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

How can a console keep up with that much data? You think the loading times of FSX are bad... LOL There would be minimalized addons too. I just don't see it as being possible, not in the same form we've been enjoying. It would have to be less involved somewhere.

Charter Member 2015
    If anything, computer gaming is getting even more popular than ever. I don't think that consoles will oust the "gaming computer" for many years.....if ever.
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

SOH-CM-2014
    Consoles do one thing.. Run games... Nothing running in the background. That is why they are ideal for gaming....

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Consoles do one thing.. Run games... Nothing running in the background. That is why they are ideal for gaming....
    Yes, but he controls are so much better on a PC.

"You should expect us to continue to invest in enabling great LIVE experiences on Windows, including flying games, but we have nothing specific to announce at this time."" Quote from Richera. Does this mean that FSXI will never come?

I'm off to find a cliff to jump from

Guys, it means nothing. That was a typical human resources announcement. Omit as much as possible, stay elusive and vague. Don't read too far into it. To be quite frank, I honestly doubt she even knows what the hell ACES did.

In the post at Avsim i related the findings from some market research , aside from a dismal showing in the 2008 sales period for "Gold" not getting into the top 20 pc games , it was really hard to miss the shelf space i saw devoted to PC games in the retail outlets was but the smallest fraction of that devoted to the three console formats.

Expert Systems used to be chipsets that did one job only and were good at it , console games are expert systems , they run games well and need much less programming to compensate for the multiple hardware setups , operating systems and all the "services" , the chip itself in a quad core costs a small fraction of the price of your computer , as well the graphics card is not all that pricy but those two elements are the balls and brains of a system , in a console the same parts are in millions of identical machines and can be as powerful as needed to run any game much cheaper than a pc and all the extra hardware , add to that no monitor to sell with a console and for far less than the cost of a computer capable of running FSX you got yourself a plug and play system .

As far as i was concerned the writing was on the wall , Bean counters count well , shelf space in stores was much reduced from the same period a year earlier and <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    deductive reasoning indicated that PC gaming was becoming part of history , its replacement was there before our eyes already , there is no reason that Saitek wont <o></o>
    have control systems that plug into Xbox or whatever , i tried to find a top quality steering wheel for plugging into a pc , to replace the one i had purchased the year before that was not as easy , but boy was the selection for consoles plentiful ... the writing on the wall was the floor space , pc gaming is part of history .<o></o>
    <o></o>
    That means i got to get up to speed on designing for Xbox , the MSDN has the toolkits .. my personal preferences are not paying the rent , games are and i need to do what people are buying , people are not buying FS products in droves , there is a further section in the Avsim post on that subject and explains why i started making all FS products available for FS9 and FSX again , there are far more copies of FS9 in circulation than FSX and its still for sale ...

One last point ... FSX did not just DIE , in fact i see that its now the responsibility of the 3PD's to keep adding to the "BASE PLATFORM" , we can do anything we like to the game , it’s our plaything and the future viability of our use of it as a SIMULATION PLATFORM is now assured , it’s no longer going to be reprogrammed into something else as was the case when FS9 became FSX , then SP1 SP2 Accell , it’s no longer a moving target , FSXI if it comes out will be a game title running on a game platform , what WE have now is a SIMULATOR , and a damm fine one at that , Phil , Paul and all the ACES that made it what it is did one fine job ironing out the bugs , MS can’t take it away from us .. it’s OURS .
    <o></o>

I'm very disappointed about Microsoft.
    Treating valued employees like that is just very poor.
    I wish i would be able to like Flight Gear as much as i like FSX...

I am sure some other "smaller" firm will probably come out with "better" Sim in the future......don´t just look at the bad side, there is an opportunity here!!!!!.......Phil and his crew are history that´s all. Am sure we´ll get a better Sim down the line......

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nils View Post
    I'm very disappointed about Microsoft.
    Treating valued employees like that is just very poor.
    I wish i would be able to like Flight Gear as much as i like FSX...

Yep.. Their email notification was a bit cold. Cant believe that.

Bill

Time for me to embrace X-Plane and throw money and support their way. FS to MS has been just a small hobby project, we need a company that will make it THEIR bussiness.

Why the hell is there no X-Plane forum here?

One last point ... FSX did not just DIE , in fact i see that its now the responsibility of the 3PD's to keep adding to the "BASE PLATFORM" , we can do anything we like to the game , it’s our plaything and the future viability of our use of it as a SIMULATION PLATFORM is now assured , it’s no longer going to be reprogrammed into something else as was the case when FS9 became FSX , then SP1 SP2 Accell , it’s no longer a moving target , FSXI if it comes out will be a game title running on a game platform , what WE have now is a SIMULATOR , and a damm fine one at that , Phil , Paul and all the ACES that made it what it is did one fine job ironing out the bugs , MS can’t take it away from us .. it’s OURS . - Chuck Jodry

Yes - thats the only thing within this event that could have a positive meaning for us - and it is a very positive notion.

FSX can be opened up and expanded on by the 3PD's without reservation or concern about forward compatability and wasted effort or unrealised gains - Its here for the long haul and at its core is a very high quality program just waiting for the right people to exploit it :ernae:

<o></o>
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    FSX can be opened up and expanded on by the 3PD's without reservation or concern about forward compatability and wasted effort or unrealised gains - Its here for the long haul and at its core is a very high quality program just waiting for the right people to exploit it :ernae:<o></o>
    I fully agree...in many ways life just got a lot easier. Time to get to work! :typing:
    Regards,
    Robert