S-55 Main Wheel Contact Points

Thread: S-55 Main Wheel Contact Points

S-55 Main Wheel Contact Points

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a working contact point adjustment for the left main wheel of the now freeware Alphasim S-55.

I found a fix for the floating front wheels (and the missing VC texture while I was at it), but I am getting a sinking/flat effect with the left main, as pictured. Any solutions?
    Aircraft was downloaded from the Virtavia/Alphasim freeware registry.

EDIT: It appears that the gear legs are not compressing enough on the left side if you compare the amount of strut "chrome" viewable, which may be beyond a contact points fix. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sean
    Last edited by SeanTK; July 20th, 2014 at 13:11.

That model's been out a while and that tyre needs more air...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

OK....

I'm looking for constructive responses towards a solution please. If there is no fix available due to modelling restrictions, please say so.

Thank you.

As an experiment try changing the front gear contact points to a single central one.

Quote Originally Posted by Essex View Post
    As an experiment try changing the front gear contact points to a single central one.
    There's a possibility the model will then fall on its side. No, I'm not being flippant.

I looked at the model's contact points in the FSX download from Alphasim/Virtavia free downloads and there is no difference in the left/right contact points, so it's a modelling issue imo. With some experimentation it might be possible to reduce the difference between the model's left and right wheel deflections but the model then might sit cockeye on the ground. Still, it might be fun for you to try: play around a little with both the left contact point height and the static deflection numbers and remember the numbers equate to sizes in feet, not meters.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

It is in fact an MDL issue. Contact MAL998 here and run this by him as I recall he might know how to get a hold of the MDL fix. Won't hurt to ask.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    It is in fact an MDL issue. Contact MAL998 here and run this by him as I recall he might know how to get a hold of the MDL fix. Won't hurt to ask.
    Thank you, I'll contact Mal998. Much appreciated.

If the left rear contact point has proper static compression and max-static ratio (with no missing commas, or improper punctuation) and properly sequenced contact points within the limits stated, then I would agree it is a model issue with the suspension part name, or a duplicate part name, or failure to animate it.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    If the left rear contact point has proper static compression and max-static ratio (with no missing commas, or improper punctuation) and properly sequenced contact points within the limits stated, then I would agree it is a model issue with the suspension part name, or a duplicate part name, or failure to animate it.
    Thank you for the advisory. This is useful information. I have contacted Mal998 and am waiting for a response. I suspect it's not fixable as I doubt Virtavia and/or staff wish to invest further time in this old addon, but it's worth a shot to investigate, and hey, I've learned more on the way.

I'm pretty sure there was a replacement model file that cured the issue but I can't remember who or when.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I'm pretty sure there was a replacement model file that cured the issue but I can't remember who or when.
    I vaguely recall seeing someone (one of the current or former Virtavia staff) state a few years ago that they sent an updated model to the head of Alphasim/Virtavia which also included a few other features, but apparently nothing came of it (if I am even remembering this correctly).
    Still hoping that Mal or someone else associated with Alphasim/Virtavia will respond in the coming days to this, as the addon itself is still great!

I have forwarded the correcting model files to Sean. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    I have forwarded the correcting model files to Sean. Problem solved.
    How about zipping the MDL up and making it available to everyone via the SOH library?

Much thanks to Mal998 for the fix! Looks great and functions perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    How about zipping the MDL up and making it available to everyone via the SOH library?
    I second that if it is possible!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Provided it doesn't take a technical genius to get it uploaded I'll have a go.

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    I second that if it is possible!
    I'll be so bold and third that! It's a bit sad that that the otherwise pretty S-55 leans to one side.
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Provided it doesn't take a technical genius to get it uploaded I'll have a go.
    It should be quite straight forward to upload this file, however when needed I will be happy provide any assistance needed.

Cheers,
    Huub

I will take some time and attempt to get it uploaded on Monday.

I have uploaded a set of model files that correct the S-55 landing gear stance. They can be found in the library under FSX "Other"

Rockin'!

Thanks a lot Mal.
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Many thanks Mal
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Thanks! As said, to upload something at the SOH is quite straight forward.

Huub

I have uploaded a set of model files that correct the S-55 landing gear stance. They can be found in the library under FSX "Other"
    Got it. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 3