iris pc-9

Thread: iris pc-9

iris pc-9

In spite of the recent unpleasantness, I was hoping someone would purchase the PC-9 and post their thoughts and maybe some screenshots. Any chance?

Been playing with it for a week after using the beta. Looks very good, way better than the previous (now freeware) release. Cockpits are nice and well detailed, however to me it just doesnt look quite as 'real' as the VRS F/A-18E for instance (I am being picky here!). Visually its a nice job. I have moved the viewpoints in the VC and removed several of the ton of provided views as its easier to pan than click through 5 or 6 to get the view you want.

Im using the modified ground friction lua in FSUIPC and it seems the PC-9 accelerates very quickly even on idle (this has been pointed out as normal during the beta process). Not tried it with default friction yet. Handles nicely though, very easy to hand fly in the circuit. Its a little twitchy in roll on my rig when airborne in cruise at any altitude, which seems at odds with a flight test report Ive read - this said it was very stable but with excellent response. Systems wise, well the default FSX turboprop modelling is pretty much evident, but doesnt spoil anything other than the reported hot starting. There is some lag but thats evident in the real thing (apparently). The nav systems use FSX vor as tacan/dme and there are several modes available on the EHSI. The IRIS facebook page has some videos of the systems in use if you want a look first.

My FSX is capped at 30 FPS and it runs at that or in the 20's around airports (except for Orbx YSTW - drops to high teens at points). My PC is a bit old, i5-760 @4GHz, 8Gb ram, GTX460. FSX is running autogen at normal or dense, water 2x low, everything else at max and AI at 60% airlines and 20% GA. So it works on lower specs than IRIS claim!

If I have some moans, they are minor. The pilot figures dont appear animated beyond moving visors, would be a nice touch if they were. The landing lights dont illuminate the ground at dusk - bug? Ive made the beacon effect smaller as it was lighting up the rear cockpit! And the cockpit floods are connected to the main panel lighting dimmer (there is no other switch for them, I found the effect too much so commented out the vclight lines in the aircraft.cfg, no floods now).

Ive been using RAAF Pearce from Rob Graham and the MAIW East Sale (FS9 but generally works well except for a rogue default building on the apron and the usual FS9 issues with trees and fences).

Teeboy, thanks for the comments; a lot of information. I have a couple of basic questions. Is there an autopilot and is there a GPS? Also, one of the video shows the cockpit movement like real air or a2a on landing. Is that a feature of the aircraft?

Autopilot - err, not that I can find ;-) Not expecting one, its a military trainer. GPS - no to that also. IRIS say they have modelled the systems using all the info that is available and with input from current/ex military pilots. Certainly the nav side of things seems to have had some input during the beta phase according to the update release notes. Makes navigation more fun tho - no autopilot is hardly a chore as it flies nicely and plan your route with navaids before you go (the way it used to be done!). The only popup available controls external tanks, chocks and both pilots, you can also control fuel load from it. The radios have a preset frequency mode and these presets can be edited in the configuration manager so you can set them for any airspace/ airbase you want. Of course you could add a popup GPS but no route would be displayed in cockpit. I am thinking about doing this to save peeping at the map...

There do not appear to be any motion effects included (I am using accufeel anyway) - wonder if the swaying you saw was from a playback? I have noticed the same happening when I playback landings from the VC on several addons.

I think that they have used ezdok for the motions and the chaking.
    This is a payware product with many features for immersion.
    Here you go:
    http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=ezdockcam

With best regards,
    Christoph

Quote Originally Posted by teeboy View Post
    Autopilot - err, not that I can find ;-) Not expecting one, its a military trainer. GPS - no to that also. IRIS say they have modelled the systems using all the info that is available and with input from current/ex military pilots. Certainly the nav side of things seems to have had some input during the beta phase according to the update release notes. Makes navigation more fun tho - no autopilot is hardly a chore as it flies nicely and plan your route with navaids before you go (the way it used to be done!). The only popup available controls external tanks, chocks and both pilots, you can also control fuel load from it. The radios have a preset frequency mode and these presets can be edited in the configuration manager so you can set them for any airspace/ airbase you want. Of course you could add a popup GPS but no route would be displayed in cockpit. I am thinking about doing this to save peeping at the map...

There do not appear to be any motion effects included (I am using accufeel anyway) - wonder if the swaying you saw was from a playback? I have noticed the same happening when I playback landings from the VC on several addons.
    Long time flyer of their now freeware T-6A, did you look in the back seat for the autopilot? Somewhat hidden in the T-6 on the right console.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Hi guys, some great feedback there..

Just wanting to confirm that the PC-9 doesn't feature an autopilot or GPS, in either VC or popup form.

Regards

David.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks. I wasn't sure since the PC-21 does have the auto pilot and sort of GPS. And the landing ground effects shown in the video? I have the PC-21 and really enjoy it. I wish it was easier to remove the external tanks on the 21.

Members who have read this thread: 1