Cougar

Thread: Cougar

Cougar

A new F9F Cougar package for FSX has appeared on Simviation today. I have had David Woosters Cougar package since it was released but am always on the lookout for new addons so downloaded this new Cougar. When I looked at these latest files to my eyes they seemed very familiar already, could someone else cast their eye over them and let me know in case I am mistaken?

It looks like this is the same aircraft. It also appears to have been taken down. The "Home" page still shows a thumbnail of the Cougar, however if you click on it, the page you end up on no longer has that available.

I thought it was suspicious, the "Readme" files are almost identical.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    It looks like this is the same aircraft. It also appears to have been taken down. The "Home" page still shows a thumbnail of the Cougar, however if you click on it, the page you end up on no longer has that available.
    It has not been taken down at all! It is still available for download.

Dumonceau

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    It has not been taken down at all! It is still available for download.

Dumonceau
    Hmm, ok. . .well, I clicked on the image link for that airplane and it wasn't on the page I was sent to, I also went page by page and never saw it. It's of little concern to me anyway, just reporting what I found.

If it is found to be a case of someone passing off anothers work as their own it does concern me. I understand some developers have been so discouraged by this sort of thing they have stopped contributing to our hobby.

Yep, presented (misrepresented?) incorrectly.
    Now up again with different text:

Grumman F9F Cougar for FSX. This is my first addon so expect bugs You can see more in the description. Includes several models, textures and all with VC. Original FS9 model by Dave Wooster. Updated for FSX.

Quote Originally Posted by harrybasset View Post
    If it is found to be a case of someone passing off anothers work as their own it does concern me. I understand some developers have been so discouraged by this sort of thing they have stopped contributing to our hobby.
    yep, happens waaaaaay to often (first hand experience) and that site is notorious for letting it slide unfortunately.
    Best, Michael

I'm pleased to see the quick amendments so the work of David Wooster is properly acknowledged.

Quote Originally Posted by harrybasset View Post
    I'm pleased to see the quick amendments so the work of David Wooster is properly acknowledged.
    True, but keep in mind (not saying this is the case with this aircraft, but in general) just giving credits does not equate to permission (again, first hand experience)
    Best, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    yep, happens waaaaaay to often (first hand experience) and that site is notorious for letting it slide unfortunately.
    Whenever I've brought something (usually payware being uploaded) to that webmaster's attention he has fixed it immediately. But they can't check everything nor are they aware of everything as a community like ourselves tends to be. And you're right also that just naming the original author does not constitute having permission to alter and re-upload. That is one that has bugged me for a long time and that website falls victim to often.

BTW, the download just worked. I wish Vertigo Studios would apply the passion they did with their Panther to a Cougar. And a two-seater at that.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    I wish Vertigo Studios would apply the passion they did with their Panther to a Cougar. And a two-seater at that.
    Amen to that Frank.....!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

There was a suggestion when the Panther came out that a Cougar might follow, but that was a fair while ago now. Plus VS have several projects on the go.

Members who have read this thread: 0