FTX: Global openLC Europe out
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FTX: Global openLC Europe out

FTX: Global openLC Europe out

From FTX webpage:

"Another piece of the puzzle!
    We begin our FTX Global openLC series with Europe, covering an area over 10,000,000 sq. km with FTX Global custom textures and new textures unique to openLC. Taking over 2 years of R&D and data development, FTXG openLC as the name suggests, replaces the default landclass layer with higher detailed and a better variety of land types. This in turn creates a more varied and accurate terrain with FSX or P3D. It has been specifically designed to work with both FTX Global BASE and FTX Global Vector as part of the total simulator overhaul. With FTX Global,and openLC Europe you now have a whole new continent to explore. Start putting the pieces together now!

• Hand crafted landclass for 10 million sq km
    • Thousands of superb new textures
    • Greatly reduced texture repetition!
    • Full five seasons support
    • New 3D night lighting
    • Made for FTX Global and VECTOR
    • Four separate installers for convenience
    • Each geographic area feels unique
    • Stunning Mt Vesuvius photoreal
    • The first of seven Orbx "mega regions"
    • A whole new Europe to explore!"

http://www.flightsimstore.com/produc...oducts_id=2973
    https://www.fullterrain.com/product_ftxgopenlcEU.html

Near 37$ and 10 Gb (ups!).

btw. I have LC from scenery tech ( http://www.scenerytech.com/products/...e.htm#purchase) - 18$ for 1 part and 18 Mb. Id like to see comparison before. 10 Gb is a big part for one region.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

My guess is that the difference between OpenLC and Scenery Tech will be huge, since ST won't have all the new custom textures created specifically for EU.

You could always look through the FTX previews forum and fly to the same places they have with your ST landclass loaded and look at the difference. In fact, if you posted your screenshots, I'm sure other people would appreciate the ability to see the difference as well.

I can't use any of the nodes with my download manager at present.I would guess that they're simply overloaded and I may have to wait for a day or two to get my dolwnloads. At 10 gig for all four files and mabe several hundred people trying to download....
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

I'm getting 4 downloads now...not fast but steady.
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

Normally, landclass is tailored for FSX' default textures or at least the texture naming scheme, but FTX used all custom textures, hence the price and the download size.

For pilots in Europe, Canada and the USA, the Ultimate Terrian X series with Ground Environment X would still be a better deal than the equivalent FTX packs. (At the cost of texture variety and - maybe - slightly older land use data).

I have it installed and there is a problem. The new landclass works well and looks great in Global mode but when Europe is chosen in FTX Central I notice many odd tiles that clearly don't belong in the area. I'm heading over to ORBX website to see if this issue will be addressed. How this got past beta testers I cannot imagine.

SYSTEM :

Ups, so the better option is take Hybrid mode or only Europe to solve this now?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I bought it, but I'm waiting until the weekend or next week to download it due to everyone trying to do so now. Besides, it will give them some time to kill the immediate bugs. Not to mention, I have to figure out how to integrate it with NL2000. At the least, I would like to use the Orbx LC and just integrate the NL2000 military airfields.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Ups, so the better option is take Hybrid mode or only Europe to solve this now?
    Global hybrid works, Eu doesn't work.
    SYSTEM :

I've had a reply from my post in the ORBX forum, saying that as a global product it can only work in FTX Central Global.
    SYSTEM :

I'm sorry, so the Hybrid mode will still allow your ORBX England (for instance) to work and the LC will work as advertised outside the ORBX regions? Is that about right?

Deacon

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I've had a reply from my post in the ORBX forum, saying that as a global product it can only work in FTX Central Global.
    Thanks, Roger. I was wondering about that. No word i could find on the FTX Global OLC Europe page about compatibility with FTX England/Wales/Scotland/N-Ireland ( not in the compatibility forum neither ). Was on the verge of buying because i love what i see but not so sure anymore. Don't want to loose my precious FTX/UK.

But, hey, what about if FTXGlobal OLC Europe looks as good ( or even better) as FTX/UK ??....

Did you try some UK area's with FTX Global selected in your FTX Central ?

If by any chance that'll work out positive i guess we'd best ask our money back for FTX/England/Wales/Scotland/N-Ireland, éh ?....

Cheers,
    Dilemma Peel

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon211 View Post
    I'm sorry, so the Hybrid mode will still allow your ORBX England (for instance) to work and the LC will work as advertised outside the ORBX regions? Is that about right? Deacon
    What exactly is 'Hybrid mode' again, Deacon ?

Thanks!

The way FTX Global and FTX Regions interact has not changed. Your EU regions are still kept in tact with Open LC. It has always been the case with Global that if you are flying in a region, you set it to that region. If you are flying from one region to another (ie. Europe to North America), or from a region into an area not covered by that region and instead only Global/Open LC, you set it to hybrid mode. If you are flying outside of an FTX region, set it to Global.

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    The way FTX Global and FTX Regions interact has not changed. Your EU regions are still kept in tact with Open LC.
    Not according to Roger's posts..... ?

It has always been the case with Global that if you are flying in a region, you set it to that region. If you are flying from one region to another (ie. Europe to North America), or from a region into an area not covered by that region and instead only Global/Open LC, you set it to hybrid mode. If you are flying outside of an FTX region, set it to Global.
    Ah, ok! But exactly *how* do you set it to Hybrid mode ?.... Not in FSX Central, is it ??

What i understand is that as soon as you install FTX Global OpenLC Europe you cannot use FTX Europe (i.e. England/Scotland/Wales/N-Ireland) anymore because it will be covered with anomalies like Roger shows in his screenie. Aka install OpenLC Europe and forget about FTX European regions.

Am i right or am i right ?....

The answers to this apparent confusion are in the manual -- starting on page 11 where all the possible FTX Central options are discussed in painful detail.

Once you are familiar with the scenarios, close the manual and enjoy one of the most powerful enhancements ever added to fsX -- for the price of a couple pizzas. And we aren't even out of Europe yet.

Edit: If you haven't bought it yet, the manual is available tor download at http://fullterrain.com/product_ftxgopenlcEU.html
    Last edited by racartron; July 17th, 2014 at 21:04. Reason: forgot something important
    Racartron
    it means something, but I just can't remember what

I am afraid that you are not right.

If you have installed FTX Global and any regions, the Hybrid mode tick box is indeed in FTX central.

The only "problem" arises if you try to fly from the UK or Ireland into mainland Europe
    with FTX Central set as Europe.
    Perhaps the confusion occurs because at the moment, the Europe setting only means the UK and Ireland.
    In this case you will see the anomalies as shown by Roger, not in the UK regions but
    on the European mainland.

The solution is to select Global Hybrid which activates all the regions and allows one to fly
    between them and FTX Global/OpenLC areas without the anomalies.

Hi

Read this posts...Wonder if someone would bve so kind and post some pictures of Lisbon region and river mouth to the north.

Only UTX Europe is right...

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I have it installed and there is a problem. The new landclass works well and looks great in Global mode but when Europe is chosen in FTX Central I notice many odd tiles that clearly don't belong in the area. I'm heading over to ORBX website to see if this issue will be addressed. How this got past beta testers I cannot imagine.

Hi Roger, it appears you've got the same problem that I had, Mr Holger Sandman helped me with this and here is the link for the fix. You have to overwrite the terrain.cfg with the one saved in the orbx folder, here's the link.
    http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/top...ure-morphing/#

Sorry Roger just noticed the link is not working, if you go into the payware support forum and the FAQ'S the first entry is Resolving Rapid Ground Texture Morphing. Your Screenshot looks exactly like what I was experiencing. This fixed it
    Last edited by therealjambo; July 18th, 2014 at 10:41. Reason: Link not working

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    Hi

Read this posts...Wonder if someone would bve so kind and post some pictures of Lisbon region and river mouth to the north.

Only UTX Europe is right...

Best regards
    Hi Beau,

I remember you have asked the same question when Global Vector came out. I do not have this LC yet but I am going to get it for use in P3D v2 like I did with Global and Global vector. I do this because UTX or GEX is not licensed for P3D so I have no other option. I still prefer UTX/GEX for FSX, especially for Southern Europe where Global textures are too green IMHO.

I remember that Global vector did not have the river mouth and some bridges in Lisbon right. I do not expect this to be any better with Europe LC as the only difference would be the landclass and not vector data like shorelines bridges and roads that are handled by Global Vector. Once I get it and install it in P3D I will pay a visit to Lisbon and give you a screenshot.

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    I am afraid that you are not right.

If you have installed FTX Global and any regions, the Hybrid mode tick box is indeed in FTX central.

The only "problem" arises if you try to fly from the UK or Ireland into mainland Europe
    with FTX Central set as Europe.
    Perhaps the confusion occurs because at the moment, the Europe setting only means the UK and Ireland.
    In this case you will see the anomalies as shown by Roger, not in the UK regions but
    on the European mainland.

The solution is to select Global Hybrid which activates all the regions and allows one to fly

OK, so just for the purposes of clarification in this thread:

If you have any ORBX region(s) and FTX Global/Vector/LC and check "Hybrid Mode" in the Config panel, then you will have ORBX scenery in the appropriate regions and FTX scenery everywhere else?

That's it? No other fixes required?

I'm asking because that seems to be what the manual says, but the posts above seemed a little perplexing. Why would you not select Hybrid Mode? What then is the "patch" for that therealjambo posted a link to? Why would there be a "fix" for something that works according to the manual?

I, for one, still can't figure out if the LC needs fixing or if it is operating as advertised...with the proviso that one must select ORBX or FTX, or select ORBX and FTX and Hybrid Mode.

Just making sure that I understand.

Deacon

Quote Originally Posted by racartron View Post
    Edit: If you haven't bought it yet, the manual is available tor download at http://fullterrain.com/product_ftxgopenlcEU.html
    The manual i have read, my young padawan. Especially this section:

From the Global OLC Europe manual, page 13 :
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

Scenario 3: If you intend to spend some time in an Orbx FTX Region without leaving

If you intend to spend some time flying within the boundaries of an Orbx FTX Region, for example Europe
    (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, etc.), then you can select to use Region Exclusive Mode
    To use Region Exclusive Mode, simply select the FTX Region (in this example, Europe), then press Apply.

Note that openLC Europe is not the FTX Europe region and selecting it will cause anomalies in the
    scenery.

openLC is a Global addon and works only with Global selected. Scenario 1, Scenario 2 or Scenario 4 are applicable where openLC is concerned.

So, if i'm reading this right, Scenario 3 is not ​applicable where OpenLC is concerned.

Hold on, if you fly in hybrid mode all the time, doesn't that mean that all regions are activated? Wasn't that the goal of that mode??

Dumonceau (being very patient downloading this pack at lousy speeds)

Quote Originally Posted by ncooper View Post
    I really don't mind flying in the UK OR the mainland of Europe. Why turn on Hybrid just to cross the Channel or North-Sea (i'll take a Ferry.. ). Flying in Europe mainland i'll select FTX Global in FTX Central. That'll work fine with OLC. Flying in the UK i'll select FTX Europe. According to the manual that will NOT work because Global OpenLC will only work correctly with FTX Global selected. ( see excerpt of the manual above )

I think i'll buy it anyway and see what FTX Global OpenLC will do with FTXGlobal UK. Forget about FTX Europe for now. If i don't like it, Like FTX Europe better, i'll put my copy of Global OLC up on eBay.

Yep. As John V. explained several times, Hybrid will always be a compromise. To get ALL the benefits of a region, FTX Central must be set to that region. It has been that way for quite a while. The same logic applies to LC Europe. Global without Hybrid ticked optimizes global. I usually fly with global selected AND hybrid ticked as I never know where I will go next. Personally I haven't seen any issues no matter where I fly.
    Racartron
    it means something, but I just can't remember what

Members who have read this thread: 2