B-17 sighting

Thread: B-17 sighting

B-17 sighting

Was about to start mowing the grass. Heard low pitch rumble of multiple radials. Looked around, B-17 appeared from behind trees. Green one. Nice!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Yep. It's cool to see stuff like that. You can always tell a warbird sound from a GA ship. Just a little more base component to the sound... Over the 4th of July weekend, the Missouri CAF B-25 and TBM flew over, in formation, a couple times. Wright Cyclones everywhere!
    HP Reverb G2

48.800 N, 118.612 W. North Central Washington State, USA

The sound of power

The most impressive air display I ever saw was the 50th birthday of the B-17 at Boeing Field in Seattle.For three days, the air was full of classic warbirds. A 6 plane formation of B-17s is incredible, especially when it's followed within a minute by 5 B-25s, a single B-24, and 8 to 12 fighters of mixed types. WOW! There were hangar dances with a swing band and several military and civilan WWII re-enactment groups on Friday and Saturday night, too. I was fortunate enough to be volunteer security at the Museum of Flight and got the whole 3 days free from ringside..

Totally my fault Paul...

That was us. We were in St. Louis and I have just been so busy with work, soccer practice, parenting, and Foundation work, that I haven't been keeping up with posting the schedule here. I was out of town that week as well in a hotel that claimed to have wifi, but failed to supply said wifi.....

Glad you atleast got a glimpse of her anyways!!

www.libertyfoundation.org

-witt
    Champaign Lady Volunteer.

Lucky you! I'm holding out for at least 8 R-R Merlins in close formation when the Canadian Mk.X Lancaster visits the UK this summer and flies displays with the BBMF Lancaster. If the BBMF fighters are in attendance that should make double figures. The camera is on charge!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Wittpilot View Post
    Totally my fault Paul...

That was us. We were in St. Louis and I have just been so busy with work, soccer practice, parenting, and Foundation work, that I haven't been keeping up with posting the schedule here. I was out of town that week as well in a hotel that claimed to have wifi, but failed to supply said wifi.....

Glad you atleast got a glimpse of her anyways!!

www.libertyfoundation.org

-witt
    Cool Witt! Next time you guys visit KSUS I'll get a ride and some pics!
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Was about to start mowing the grass. Heard low pitch rumble of multiple radials. Looked around, B-17 appeared from behind trees. Green one. Nice!
    Today, around noon, I was sanding the front stairs before applying stain when, like you PRB, I heard a very low growling of a multiple engines machine. It suddenly appeared just over my head; a metal-finish B-17 with large black stripes under both wings, no national roundels, vintage or otherwise. I only had a few seconds to observe it, flying well under 5,000' (2-3,000' maybe), in a circuit normally reserved for small GA traffic going to Dorval YUL 28, but it was no Cessna indeed!

What a sight, and what a sound!
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

Quote Originally Posted by hubbabubba View Post
    ... What a sight, and what a sound!
    Yep! You hear a "warbird" coming over the house and there's never a question about it. One must drop everything and run outside!
    HP Reverb G2

Now, if someone could tell me which bird came to visit Montréal, I would appreciate it. One, called Sentimental Journey, is suppose to go to Hamilton this summer, but Hamilton is not exactly in the neighborhood, so to speak ...

HERE

... and I don't see the two black stripes.

I see Liberty Belle is making appearances on the east coast late this summer. Perhaps she will visit an airport near me (KFCI).
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Hubbabubba, the B-17 "Sentimental Journey" is actually in your area right now, operating out of St. Hubert (having been there for the last week as one of its tour stops, having already been to Gatineau and Hamilton). It doesn't fit your description though (since it and every other B-17 flying today is painted in USAAF markings, and it doesn't have stripes under the wings (unless you were seeing a lot of exhaust staining)).

As of right now, the B-17's that are on tour are in the following areas. I have included links to all of the summer/fall tour schedules for all of the B-17's that have them so that you can see specifically when and where they will be.

"Sentimental Journey" - Currently at St. Hubert, QC, Canada, and will be in Glens Falls, New York for all of this coming week, ending its Canadian tour after today. http://www.azcaf.org/pages/bookaride_b17.html

"Aluminum Overcast" - Currently in Green Bay, Wisconsin, she'll be in Madison next weekend, just before spending all the following week at EAA Airventure Oshkosh. https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/flight-ex...ast-tour-stops

"Yankee Lady" - Currently in Eden Prairie, Minnesota (AirExpo Wings of the North air show). Her next stop I think will be back to Willow Run for the up-coming "Thunder Over Michigan" air show (Aug. 9-10). http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/book-...7-reservation/

"Movie Memphis Belle" - Currently in Louisville, Kentucky, the aircraft's next stop will be Cincinnati, Ohio. http://www.libertyfoundation.org/schedule.html

"Nine O Nine" - Currently in Chicago, Illinois, the aircraft's next stop is Valparaiso, Indiana. http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm

All of the other flying B-17's stay fairly close to home.

"Sally B" - Based at Duxford, England, she's a common sight at air shows throughout Britain. Her schedule of displays can be found here (note she'll be flying to Switzerland in early September - should be some spectacular air-to-air photo opportunities there!): http://www.sallyb.org.uk/flying-programme.htm

"Texas Raiders" - Next stop will be Sugar Land, Texas. Although they rarely leave Texas, they do have a ride program: http://www.gulfcoastwing.org/schedule.html

"Thunderbird" - Based in Galveston, Texas.

"Madras Maiden" - Formerly known as "Chuckie", based in Madras, Oregon.

"Fuddy Duddy" - Based in Santa Ana, California. The aircraft only flies a few times per year, with its only air show appearances seemingly limited to the annual Planes of Fame air show.

At this time, there aren't any other active B-17's.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    I see Liberty Belle is making appearances on the east coast late this summer. Perhaps she will visit an airport near me (KFCI).
    The "Movie Memphis Belle" (being operated by the Liberty Foundation ("LB" is many years from ever flying again)), "Sentimental Journey", "Nine O Nine", and "Aluminum Overcast" will all be making appearances on the East Coast in the next 1-3 months.

Saw her again today, but passing north (1 or 2 miles) of me on a course parallel to the previous sighting, definitely no higher than 3,000'. She must go back and forth between St-Hubert, on the South-Shore of Montréal, and Dorval.

And if those two stripes are exhaust grime, she needs a high-pressure hosing A.S.A.P.!!!

Thanks for the infos guys

The exhaust staining would be something like this..

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-07-12 10.36.07.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	10355

The stains tell me that she flies a lot, just don't rub up against the stains with any clothing you do not wish to be permanently stained.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

SOH-CM-2023
    Numbers 1,2 & 3 look as if they need a lot of 'Dragons Blood' to keep the oil where its needed! No 4 looks quite clean.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    The stains tell me that she flies a lot, just don't rub up against the stains with any clothing you do not wish to be permanently stained.
    Yeah, I always have to remember to wear a specific pair of "B-17 shorts" to wear whenever I go out to help...

Quote Originally Posted by Wittpilot View Post
    Yeah, I always have to remember to wear a specific pair of "B-17 shorts" to wear whenever I go out to help...
    For several years I had an "airshow only shirt", a nice, yellow, polo shirt that had stains down the back of the shirt. It was a hot day and I sought shade beneath the wing of a B-25J, not realizing there was engine oil dripping and I was in the drip zone.

I understand...

I'm hoping to get down to the Hancock County Airport (Trenton, ME) to get a look, and listen, and crawl about in Sentimental Journey. She arrives Monday and is staying for the whole week. I won't be able to cough up the $400+ to ride, but it will still be a treat.

Many years ago, sailing up the western side of Islesboro in Penobscot Bay, ME, I heard the unmistakable roar of radials and looked up to see a B-24 at about 800 ft agl. Wow, I said, and looked behind her to see a B-17 at the same low level roaring up the bay. At the northern tip of the island, they dropped down to what seemed like tree top, and circled several times over one spot, and then went on up to Bangor (KBGR) where they went on display for a couple of days, which I missed because I had this annoying job...

I learned later that the low level stuff was for the benefit of a man who flew B-17's, and who would not be able to get up to see them in Bangor.

It was a real treat to see both these old girls, and a really nice gesture on their part for the elder pilot.

Happened again couple minutes ago. Heard airplane noise, sounded big and round... Ran outside like a lunatic. Saw our local CAF B-25 and TBM flying over in formation. Damn, that's good stuff.
    HP Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 2