MR Micronesia

Thread: MR Micronesia

MR Micronesia

Hi all. I have a black poly at NSW Norfolk Island in the MR Micronesia scenery. I checked the scenery bgl and it shows a norfolk512.bmp. I can't find the bmp in any of the texture files.

I changed the name on one of the other poly's to test and that poly showed up. Anyone know where the NSW Norfolk Island bmp can be found.

Thanks,

Doggi

Library Staff
    Hi Doggi,

It is missing from the package - here it is. I think I obtained it by emailing MaskRider (Chris Westervelt). I'll see if Rami can include it in the mr_micronesia_100707 package.

Kevin
    Attached Files Attached Files

MR Micronesia

Got it.
    Thanks kdriver.

Doggi

Quote Originally Posted by Doggi View Post
    Got it.
    Thanks kdriver.

Doggi
    Hey, good catch Doggi! I had never noticed because I haven't gone there. Thank you also kdriver for the BMP to fix the problem. Really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb737 View Post
    Hey, good catch Doggi! I had never noticed because I haven't gone there. Thank you also kdriver for the BMP to fix the problem. Really appreciate it.
    Same here... I never noticed it was missing. Thank you!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Same here... I never noticed it was missing. Thank you!

I have Micronesia which was done by Lindsay Watts. I'm not sure if its the same as MR's or not. It could be.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Icon22 Reply...

Good afternoon,

I added that to the package, thank you!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Hi Guys,

Just happened to be passing by. That is funny. I guess Norfolk Island is one of those places that no body gets to very often. It has a special spot in my heart because it was the very first custom mesh and LWM project that I ever did. It was part of an old Pacific Air Ferry Route pack that long ago got subsumed into the Micronesia pack.

After looking thru my old files it appears that the topic of this missing Norfolk texture did come up before. I found a zip floating around that contains nothing but the Norfolk texture- must have made it for some reason- back around Thanksgiving 2012.

Anywho, I will add the Norfolk texture to the pack and upload it again to my website!

MR

EDIT: Ok, it's done. I left the file-name the same- didn't feel like messing around with editing links and such.

Perhaps some kind soul (Rami ?) with more expertise than I could replace the mr_micronesia_100707.zip file currently in the SOH archive with this updated one? :^)

Here is the link.

Cheers, MR

FYI Here is what Norfolk should look like-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails norfolk-pdxnew.jpg   norfolk00-pdxnew.jpg  
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Icon22

BTW Norfolk Island has a connection to the Bounty mutineers- does anyone know what it is? :^)

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

Just noticed that Rami already handled it. Problem solved.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    BTW Norfolk Island has a connection to the Bounty mutineers- does anyone know what it is? :^)

MR
    Hi MR
    Thanks for all your great work over the years.
    Norfolk Island look great.
    With Regard to your question, some of the descendents of the Bounty Mutineers moved to Norfolk island from Pitcairn Island in 1855 as the latter became overcrowded. In 1856 the rest of the Pitcairner's moved to Norfolk (altough some later returned to Pitcairn).
    Norfolk Island has approximately 1000 descendants from the Bounty Mutineers, about half its population. As such, there are a lot of 'Quintals and Adams' on the Island
    Norfolk Islander's celebrate Bounty Day (the day the Pitcairners first arrived) on June 8.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Hi MR,

I didn't know the connection, but it made me want to read up on it. Norfolk is where whatever remnants of the Christian party from Pitcairn Island finally found safe haven.

In 1793, a conflict broke out on Pitcairn Island between the mutineers and the Tahitian men who sailed with them. Fletcher Christian and four of the mutineers (Jack Williams, Isaac Martin, John Mills, and William Brown) were killed by the Tahitians. All six of the Tahitian men were killed during the on-and-off fighting, some by the widows of the murdered mutineers and others by each other.

Fletcher Christian was survived by Maimiti and their son Thursday October Christian (sometimes called "Friday October Christian"). Rumours persisted that Christian left the island and made it back to England. There are other reports that Christian actually committed suicide.

Of the Tahitian women, early on, one died in a fall while gathering eggs from a cliff and another from a respiratory illness (thus precipitating the taking of the Tahitian men's consorts).

Christian's death caused a leadership vacuum on the island. Two of the four surviving mutineers, Ned Young and John Adams (also known as Alexander Smith), assumed leadership, and some peace followed, until William McCoy created a still and began brewing an alcoholic beverage from a native plant. The mutineers began drinking excessively and making life miserable for the women.

The women revolted a number of times—with the men continually "granting pardons" (each time threatening to execute the leaders of the next revolt)—and some of the women attempted to leave the island on a makeshift raft; it swamped in the "bay". Life in Pitcairn continued thus until the deaths of McCoy and Quintal, and the destruction of the still.

William McCoy died after a drunken fall. Matthew Quintal was subsequently killed by John Adams and Ned Young after threatening to kill everyone. Eventually John Adams and Ned Young were reconciled with the women, and the community began to flourish.

Ned Young succumbed in 1800 to asthma, the first man to die of natural causes. After Young's death in 1800, Adams became the leader of the community, and took responsibility for educating its members. Adams started holding regular Sunday services and teaching the Christian religion to the settlement. His gentleness and tolerance enabled the small community to thrive, and peace was restored to Pitcairn Island, with the population measuring one man, nine Tahitian women and dozens of children.
    Later contacts

The islanders reported that it was not until 27 December 1795 that the first ship after Bounty was seen from the island, but as she did not approach the land, they could not make out to what nation she belonged. A second appeared some time in 1801, but did not attempt to communicate with them. A third came sufficiently near to see their habitations, but did not venture to send a boat ashore.

The American trading ship Topaz, under the command of Mayhew Folger, was the first to visit the island and communicate with the inhabitants when the crew spent 10 hours at Pitcairn in February 1808. A report of Folger's find was forwarded to the Admiralty—which mentioned the discovery and the position of the island at latitude 25° 2' south and longitude 130° west; however, this rediscovery was not known to Sir Thomas Staines, who commanded a Royal Navy flotilla of two ships (HMS Briton and HMS Tagus), which found the island at 25° 4' S. (by meridian observation) on 17 September 1814. Staines sent a party ashore and wrote a detailed report for the Admiralty In November 2009 a logbook kept by midshipman J.B. Hoodthorp of HMS Briton detailing the first contact with the mutineers was auctioned for over £40,000 by Cheffin's Auction House in Cambridge.

In 1808, when Topaz reached Pitcairn Island, only John Adams, nine women, and some children still lived. In 1825, Adams was granted amnesty for his mutiny; Pitcairn's capital, Adamstown, is named for him. On 30 November 1838, the Pitcairn Islands (which include the uninhabited islands of Henderson, Ducie and Oeno) were incorporated into the British Empire. In 1856, the British government granted Norfolk Island to the Pitcairners for settlement since population growth was rendering their original refuge uninhabitable.

The Pitcairn Islands are a British Overseas Territory with a population of about 48. Bounty Day is celebrated on 23 January by Pitcairn Islanders in commemoration of the 1790 burning of the Bounty, and on 8 June as the national holiday on Norfolk Island to commemorate the 1856 arrival of settlers from Pitcairn Island.

Alcohol, women, and too much youthful testosterone. Interesting how ones judgement is influenced by this mix.

Cheerz, Dave

Icon22

Yep, Dave and Stuart, you guys got it. When I was making the scenery and researching the place I was stoked when I stumbled across that connection- thought it was pretty cool. Another little ditty about the scenery and the island. You may notice that the only trees used in the scenery are pines. Well those are Norfolk Island Pines. Lindsay Watt included them in one of his tree collections. Not surprisingly, Norfolk Island is where Norfolk Island Pines come from. ;^) Kinda cool, too, huh?

Take it easy, guys!

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

Alcohol, women, and too much youthful testosterone. Interesting how ones judgement is influenced by this mix.

LOL! Boy, ain't that the truth, huh?

I bet representing the Queen at the annual Bounty Day and Norfolk Island Settlement Day celebrations is a plum Foreign Office assignment, eh?

Cheers
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Members who have read this thread: 1