Registering GMax

Thread: Registering GMax

Registering GMax

I've decided, for umpteenth time, to try using GMax. In order to use it I must register it (Free). The problem is that the discreet.com website no longer shows GMax as a product so the link that the program gives you to obtain the registration code is a dead link. Any suggestions?

Go to TurboSquid, failing which the registration workaround at FSAlpha
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Go to TurboSquid, failing which the registration workaround at FSAlpha
    Thanks Tom. . .forgot about Turbosquid, but it was the FSAlpha workaround that fixed it. Now to force myself to imagine GMax is where I really need to be, lol. . .ughhh!

good luck Ed!

What happened with sketchup, you seemed to be doing well with it.

You wanna try a hard modeling app to wrap your head around, give Blender a try, LOL.
    Best, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    You wanna try a hard modeling app to wrap your head around, give Blender a try, LOL.
    Hey! I started out by modelling in Blender many years ago.

Once you get used to the rather peculiar user interface it was actually quite a nice program to use. I built a couple of vehicles and a famous Buddhist temple that were intended for use in a Flying Tigers based combat flight sim that never saw the light of day.

At that time there was no way to get the models into FS2004 or FSX but I believe it may be possible to do that now.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Hey! I started out by modelling in Blender many years ago.

Once you get used to the rather peculiar user interface it was actually quite a nice program to use. I built a couple of vehicles and a famous Buddhist temple that were intended for use in a Flying Tigers based combat flight sim that never saw the light of day.

At that time there was no way to get the models into FS2004 or FSX but I believe it may be possible to do that now.
    LOL, yep, everyone I know that actually uses Blender says the same thing. I am not a key shortcut person (point and click) which is why I don't get along with it. But it is a great app for free especially with many capabilities beyond Gmax. I can't model to save my life in it, but love the baked in texture feature and the rendering capabilities with cycles. As for FS, I have exported a few .objs and then with MCX saved as .MDL, worked fine.
    Best, Michael

SOH-CM-2023
    Ed,
    I've used nothing else but Gmax, so cannot compare, but my models are made from photos pasted into AutoCAD & then drawn in 3 views using the known dimensions. I then dimension the critical parts & then choose a basic shape in Gmax to manipulate. E.g. for a wing I choose a cylinder of scaled length & chord at the root, I can then squash it to the wing thickness & then change the shape to make it the aerofoil profile. Then for the plan view taper it as required by scale. For rounded wing tips measure the radii in AutoCAD & then in Gmax produce cylinders of appropriate diameter, placing it - or them accordingly.
    One can then slice the wing at the cylinder nodes & then manually move the vertices to match. After that its a case of massaging the thickness & edge radii to suit.
    Get used to the mirror function - do not use the pictogram in the toolbar!
    HTH for a start.
    Regards
    Keith

Yet it might be sensible to start using Blender. There's a Blender2FSX toolset available now, which I'm using for 6 months now. I'm creating my Fokker with Blender, and believe me, workflow is just rocking.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Now to force myself to imagine GMax is where I really need to be, lol. . .ughhh!

There's a handy thread at the Aircraft Design and Animation forum on all the things that ought to be set up in Gmax before even installing a modelling SDK. Worth reading!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Thanks Tom. . .forgot about Turbosquid, but it was the FSAlpha workaround that fixed it. Now to force myself to imagine GMax is where I really need to be, lol. . .ughhh!
    Bruce at FSAlpha (I believe that is his name) taught me how to map for textures. We sort of learned together but he was a little ahead of me.

Ed, I am available to help you get started on TS or any online Desktop sharing software.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

I've successfully completed one of the many Blender tutorials. As long as you mentally stay away from your (G)Max knowledge, it's pretty nicely to use.
    As for Blender having a "bad" interface, let me just tell you that a few commercial tools for "finite element method" modeling and analysis are even worse!

Members who have read this thread: 2