ACG RAF Wattisham
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ACG RAF Wattisham

ACG RAF Wattisham

Hi,

Would just like to introduce our (airfieldconstructiongroup.org) work in progress airfield which is RAF Wattisham set in the 1990's.

C-Type hangars

Bloodhound Missile Site

HAS Site

Wow! Is it still WIP? Looking very, very nice .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Wow! Is it still WIP?.
    Anyone who may be a regular visitor or have visited our forum in the past may recall we started RAF Wattisham a few years ago, but it was eventually scrapped. This is a completely new from scratch version started at the beginning of the year with custom AI phantoms and custom built ground polygons....

Holy mackerel, that's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Holy mackerel, that's beautiful.
    +1

Yes, stunning!!
    I pass gas!

Ah, the memories.

I hope you won't forget to include 1ACC/TSSU/USST/14SU (all the same place) across the road from Crash Gate 3.

Dave

Awesome, is that AI Phantom native FSX? Takes be back to June 1992 at the aircraft spotters place on Ware Road near the 74 Sqn taxi track when they mass launched more than 16 jets to do formation flyby's. I never forget the sight and sound of them starting up on the ASP.
    Last edited by hschuit; July 8th, 2014 at 01:51.

Which platform will this be for? FSX or FS9?

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by DaleRFU View Post
    Which platform will this be for? FSX or FS9?

Dale
    The last few ACG offerings have been for both FS9 and FSX and, given the choice of forum.....

The Phantoms might be the Mike Pearson models or, then again, they might be John Young's own.
    The 74 Sqn markings seem to be on an FGR2 model, which suggests a fairly late timescale.

This is all after my time there (1978 - 1983), as the HASs were still under construction when I left.
    56 Sqn were still using Hangar 1, with 29/23 Sqn using Hangar 2. Both squadrons still parked on the main pan.

Dave

Brilliant Guys!!! Looking forward to this !!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Hi,

At the moment we have only worked on the FSX version, hence the post here, but a fs9 version is not out of the question, it's easier to convert FSX models backward to FS9 than it is the other way.

It is based in the early 1990's

The Phantoms are native FSX coded, loving built by John Young. John has also built the majority of the airfield buildings such as those on the HAS sites and 50% of the custom ground.

Stevo

Cracking stuff. Looking forward to it. How are you finding making the ground poly with ADE, I am yet to give it a go?

Hi Dale,

ADE is great for ground polygons and does the job well, however we found the mapping part (applying the texture to the polygon) to be lacking at it current incarnation and found Gmax uvw unwrap to be much better especially around curves which ADE struggled with particularly textures with lines in both direction such as concrete. So all of this polygon was done in gmax.

but ADE and it's ground poly addition is superb and for many reasons the main ones being, having the default runways, taxiways, buildings and the custom ground polys all in one program and no need to use other programs and everything is perfectly aligned.

We compiled the exported Gmax .mdls with model converter x.

Stevo

Some more screenshots

ASP and Johns AI Phantoms

We have the crash net up on one end of the runway, while at the other end it's down, the pair switching according to wind direction. Rotation of the PAR and ATC van also works on the same principle.

This is the 56/74 Sqn flight line:

John Young also added visiting Phantoms from 19 and 92 Sqns (Widlenwrath Germany), including the two all blue commemorative schemes.

Stevo76

The QRA sheds have animated doors. They can be opened/closed by a user key press. We thought that would be useful when the user takes the place of one of the AI QRA Phantoms with a flyable aircraft.

The QRA AI Phantoms are programmed as a pair, departing together, using separate overlay AFCADS (AFX):

All screenshots by John Young

Stevo

Simply I love it!

Last edited by ZsoltB; July 16th, 2014 at 08:33.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

outstanding work!!!
    Best, Michael

Yes, it looks like very nice done scenery !
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

What can I add to all the comment already give? The scenery is simply beautiful

Cheers,
    HuUub

Just an update it's been a while....

Beta testing On this has been underway for the last three week and the majority of bugs, errors and irritation have been ironed out....the plan is to release it sometime after xmas, no date yet but I'll post here when there is.....

Video showing the QRA doors in FSX (only)
    http://vid719.photobucket.com/albums...mages/QRAd.mp4

Regards

Stevo

Thanks Stevo! Looking forward to this.

Cheers

What can be said other than that it is up to usual ACG standards!

Brilliant stuff!

Dumonceau

Members who have read this thread: 0