Another Mosquito Flying

Thread: Another Mosquito Flying

Another Mosquito Flying

Bob Jens' B.35 Mosquito VR796/CF-HML, which is based in Victoria, British Columbia, flew today for the first time in 48 years, following several years of restoration back to airworthy. This means that for the first time in perhaps three decades or more, the world population of flyable de Havilland Mosquitos now stands at two! Uniquely enough, the other flying Mosquito, owned by Jerry Yagen and based in Virginia (Military Aviation Museum), was also flying today, in Canada, at the Hamilton air show.

Mosquito VR796/CF-HML reportedly flew for about 15-minutes today, piloted by Steve Hinton, and this very early initial flight was made with the gear down. Some first photos can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/VicAirMtnc/...24552937583662

To go along with this event, here are a couple of screenshots of a flight in Dave Garwood's Mosquito, with a Peter Watkins' repaint - although this isn't a portrayal of the same aircraft, VR796/CF-HML was part of Spartan Air Services as well, and for a time, Bob Jens even considered painting the aircraft back into its original Spartan markings - this is how she looked then: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...5_edited-2.jpg

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Thanks John, been looking forward to the B.35 getting back in the air.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thanks John.
    Now I feel older - I remember seeing -HML flying at the end of her Spartan days.

There is a wonderful collection of during-the-rebuild pics at Victoria Air's website including some from the "old" days at Resolute Bay
    http://www.vicair.net/mosquito.html

Additional notes and a bit about "F for Freddie" which is the paint -HML carries...
    "One particular plane, Mosquito LR503, known as “F for Freddie,” late of 105 Squadron and survivor of 213 operations over occupied Europe, more operational sorties than any other allied bomber during World War II, captured the imagination of the Canadian public. Flown by combat decorated heros, the plane performed in a war bonds tour of Canada, famously performing an astounding aerobatic demonstration over (and through) Calgary on May 9, 1945 in celebration of the war’s end in Europe, shooting under low bridges and buzzing down avenues below building roof height. RCAF staff working on the sixth floor of the Hudson Bay building recall having to look down to see the Mosquito streaking past below their windows at over 300MPH."
    The tragic end to the story is here:
    http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbird-...on-canada.html

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Here are some more photos recently posted to the Victoria Air Maintenance Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/VicAirMtnc

The latest report is that the aircraft has flown at least 5 times so-far. They had a little snag with one of the landing gear legs wanting to remain down on the first flight, but it was sorted out by its next flight. This airframe, unlike the Jerry Yagen/Avspecs/MAM Mosquito, is almost all original, still with its original wood, rather than 'new build'.

(Note, there have been some complaints in other forums about the colors not being authentic and the finish being too glossy. The owner, Bob Jens, wanted the Mosquito to be painted to match his Spitfire, so that when they are flown together they will appear as a matching set. The Spitfire is an older restoration, and thus when that aircraft was restored not much attention was given to accurately depicting the original green/gray tones. I find this Mosquito to be absolutely gorgeous, and to me, it's like a nice retro throw-back to how most warbirds looked in the 80's and 90's.)

For Steve Hinton, it's another entry in the long list of entries in his logbook of flying time in some of the rarest and most interesting warbirds flying today.

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

re. Mosquitos

A friend posted this regarding last weekend air show here.

When was the last time two Mosquitos flew in the same country? Military Aviation Museum’s Mossi departed after the Hamilton Airshow today and Bob Jens Mosquito flew for the first time.

(just thought it might interest some)

http://www.airic.ca/html/stewart.html

Came across this site though Facebook on Gaining Altitude, an upcoming documentary.

Also, has anyone seen a repaint of VR796 for the Dave Garwood Mossie??

Just wondering.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

I did this a while ago, but never finished it..

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    I did this a while ago, but never finished it..

Might you.... finish it??

BTW - Here is the latest cockpit promo.... Kinda cool...
    Last edited by WarHorse47; September 26th, 2014 at 12:48.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Members who have read this thread: 5