Might wanna be sitting down for this one... - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Might wanna be sitting down for this one...

Quote Originally Posted by PhilTaylor View Post
    I cover some of my thinking around what I know about this decision and what influenced it at a new post at:
    http://www.futuregpu.org.

I will post again as I learn more.

Thanks for the link to your blog - it is interesting to see your take on things.

:ernae:

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Financed how??
    Employees who find themselves suddenly unemployed need to find a job that will pay for the neccessities of 'real' life.
    I guess it comes down to two things:

1) Leadership
    2) Capital

The second one is usually given to the first. One hundred plus unemployed flight sim developers standing under the sky is no ordinary moment.
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem Quad @ 4.2GHz
    EVGA GTX260 216 710/2500MHz
    OCZ Platinum CL7 6GB
    EVGA Intel X58

So, I'm kicking back and doing a little mindless browsing and wander over to the FS Insider site. I click on the About the Aces link. The few paragraphs can't avoid the buzz words like "synergy" and "strategic priorities". Ugh!!!

I'm not a billion dollar business owner, but if it was my decision I would keep divisions that are profitable instead of scrapping them. If I was going to do some pruning, it would be elsewhere.

They plan to push "innovation, community, and collaboration to unprecedented levels"...HUH? Racing sims, fighter sims etc might do that with teams, squadrons and an ongoing campaign or season, but not a flight simulator. I think that someone needs to put down their granola, grab a cup of black coffee and look at promoting the profitable parts instead of trying to force something that doesn't exist and probably won't sell no matter how much cash they pour into it.

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Cool crashaz..Fs11 was to come with skydiving acording to the report?..I think we can go with FSX for quite a while without FS11 ..The mission tool in it can do just about everything in a lot of ways--including skydiving..easy chng object/chng object to chng object..as here in my aussie bigfoot hunter skydiver..I will get all these (out of envelope) missions wrapped up soon now all we have is FSX for an indefinite while..It might be a good thing to only have FSX for a long while..FSX is as good as it can get for what price PC it takes to run it good for now--and a (Long) while from now..I would just of liked to see TS2 get finished though..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgpri...e=channel_page

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SolarEagle View Post
    One hundred plus unemployed flight sim developers standing under the sky is no ordinary moment.
    Certainly not for the unfortunate individuals who have just become 'redundant'.
    However, it is the same for three thousand BHP employees in the same situation, or for the One Hundred Thousand +/- unfortunates who have met the same fate in under a week.
    'G-L-O-B-A-L R-E-C-E-S-S-I-O-N' ................ and it is getting worse as each day passes.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Charter Member 2011
    and it is getting worse as each day passes
    unless your a Bailiff
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Planned features included voice recognition with air traffic control, first-person mode, a full fledged career mode with a job board and a currency system, a lighter-then-air aircraft class, and skydiving.
    Ouch. Now I'm starting to miss FS11. The first-person mode was asked by a lot of FS enthusiasts since long ago (walking around and inside the plane juste like in Operation Flashpoint for example). And this voice recognition with ATC just sounds cool... :faint:

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb View Post
    So, I'm kicking back and doing a little mindless browsing and wander over to the FS Insider site. I click on the About the Aces link. The few paragraphs can't avoid the buzz words like "synergy" and "strategic priorities". Ugh!!!

I'm not a billion dollar business owner, but if it was my decision I would keep divisions that are profitable instead of scrapping them. If I was going to do some pruning, it would be elsewhere.

They plan to push "innovation, community, and collaboration to unprecedented levels"...HUH? Racing sims, fighter sims etc might do that with teams, squadrons and an ongoing campaign or season, but not a flight simulator. I think that someone needs to put down their granola, grab a cup of black coffee and look at promoting the profitable parts instead of trying to force something that doesn't exist and probably won't sell no matter how much cash they pour into it.

I think MS has lost its abitlity to manage its own company. My humble 2 cents..

<-- puts on safety goggles incase someone throws cabbage
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Oh Bill, I think they can manage it just fine... hence the firing of 5,000 employees. If they couldn't manage it, they would run it right into the ground

Maybe they just did a "Windows 7" on the whole company?
    Leaner, better, more successful...?

They need to ditch Balmer, he's almost a legacy now and his inability to 'get' emerging technology and fields or change direction is doing MS no favours.

Didn't quite escape.
    But Zune and LIVE have been such a success so far that they can't fail to... fall flat on their face even more!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="50%"><TABLE id=Table3 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bodytext vAlign=top>Job Title: Art Management</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=Table5 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bodytext vAlign=top>Job Category: Game Design</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=Table7 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bodytext vAlign=top>Product: Games</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=Table8 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bodytext vAlign=top>Date Posted: 01/30/2009</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width=5 rowSpan=5></TD><TD vAlign=top align=left width="50%"><TABLE id=Table2 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bodytextnopadding vAlign=top>Job Code: 252532</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=Table1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bodytextnopadding vAlign=top>Location: WA - Redmond</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=Table9 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bodytextnopadding vAlign=top>Travel Required: </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=Table10 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bodytextnopadding vAlign=top></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3 height=2></TD></TR><TR><TD class=bodytext align=left colSpan=3>
    *To consider similar job openings on MS Careers, use keyword: GAMES

Join the team responsible for building the most fun and rewarding flying experiences available on Games for Windows Live. Does working on a small, innovative team that delivers the most immersive flight experiences available today on the PC intrigue you? Our technology makes available entire continents - potentially the entire planet - for a detailed and dynamic 3D experience. We are looking for a Project Art Lead who can define, refine, and extend the visual elements while balancing the need for fun and approachability for a broad set of users.
    RESPONSIBILITIES:

Demonstrate and clearly communicate expectations for quality of work, creativity, originality and professionalism to the art team.
    Provide strong leadership for the art team and provide guidance for overall career development.
    Establish a regular art review schedule internally within the team.
    Ensure that all required art positions are staffed with excellent, qualified persons.
    Manage both internal and external resources
    Consult on a regular basis with the Project Design Lead and Project Developer Lead to set and adjust appropriate art production milestones.
    Drive development and documentation for art processes and tools.
    Work to thoroughly understand our customers and provide guidance to the team that will allow them to build assets that support our customer’s desires.
    Locate and establish solid working relationships with outsource vendors.

QUALIFICATIONS:

5+ years experience as an Art Lead across multiple shipped titles
    Demonstrated ability to successfully lead a team through the complete product development cycle
    An in-depth knowledge of game development software and techniques (e.g. Max, Photoshop)
    Experience in creating and managing all processes of artwork creation for triple-A titles
    An eye for detail and style, as demonstrated by a top-rate portfolio
    Excellent verbal and written communication skills
    Experience dealing with outsource vendors

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I kinda wonder sometimes who is in charge, or is anybody actually in charge , can't wait for the next announcement , thanks to Bill Leaming for bringing this to our attention

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there
    ..If they are considering migrating Flight Simulator into LIVE..well, those still in dual up or crappy internet connections will be left without choices....
    I guess they are going that way in order to fight piracy?
    Prowler

Charter Member 2011
    so like all the other games which require online activation ... which have all been cracked anyway so theres no point in 'protection' really if you think about it
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

jsolomon
    An idea...

Some Aces developers move to id software and develop an amazing combat/simple civilian flight sim using id Tech 5, which is cross platform in development. Since id has seriously entertained the idea of eventually releasing Tech 5 as opensource, the studio appeals for a degree of investment and an advertising campaign with Ubuntu. Tech 5 is expanded along with a Linux games/opengl market. The result would be quite a feather in Mark Shuttleworth's cap.

MCDesigns
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_Jodry-VJPL View Post
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left" valign="top" width="50%"><table id="Table3" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="bodytext" valign="top">Job Title: Art Management</td></tr></tbody></table><table id="Table5" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="bodytext" valign="top">Job Category: Game Design</td></tr></tbody></table><table id="Table7" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="bodytext" valign="top">Product: Games</td></tr></tbody></table><table id="Table8" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="bodytext" valign="top">Date Posted: 01/30/2009</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td rowspan="5" valign="top" width="5"></td><td align="left" valign="top" width="50%"><table id="Table2" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="bodytextnopadding" valign="top">Job Code: 252532</td></tr></tbody></table><table id="Table1" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="bodytextnopadding" valign="top">Location: WA - Redmond</td></tr></tbody></table><table id="Table9" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="bodytextnopadding" valign="top">Travel Required: </td></tr></tbody></table><table id="Table10" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="bodytextnopadding" valign="top">
    </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td colspan="3" height="2" valign="top"></td></tr><tr><td class="bodytext" colspan="3" align="left">
    *To consider similar job openings on MS Careers, use keyword: GAMES

Join the team responsible for building the most fun and rewarding flying experiences available on Games for Windows Live. Does working on a small, innovative team that delivers the most immersive flight experiences available today on the PC intrigue you? Our technology makes available entire continents - potentially the entire planet - for a detailed and dynamic 3D experience. We are looking for a Project Art Lead who can define, refine, and extend the visual elements while balancing the need for fun and approachability for a broad set of users.
    RESPONSIBILITIES:

Demonstrate and clearly communicate expectations for quality of work, creativity, originality and professionalism to the art team.
    Provide strong leadership for the art team and provide guidance for overall career development.
    Establish a regular art review schedule internally within the team.
    Ensure that all required art positions are staffed with excellent, qualified persons.
    Manage both internal and external resources
    Consult on a regular basis with the Project Design Lead and Project Developer Lead to set and adjust appropriate art production milestones.
    Drive development and documentation for art processes and tools.
    Work to thoroughly understand our customers and provide guidance to the team that will allow them to build assets that support our customer’s desires.
    Locate and establish solid working relationships with outsource vendors.

QUALIFICATIONS:

5+ years experience as an Art Lead across multiple shipped titles
    Demonstrated ability to successfully lead a team through the complete product development cycle
    An in-depth knowledge of game development software and techniques (e.g. Max, Photoshop)
    Experience in creating and managing all processes of artwork creation for triple-A titles
    An eye for detail and style, as demonstrated by a top-rate portfolio
    Excellent verbal and written communication skills
    Experience dealing with outsource vendors

</td></tr></tbody></table>

I kinda wonder sometimes who is in charge, or is anybody actually in charge , can't wait for the next announcement , thanks to Bill Leaming for bringing this to our attention
    Is this true?? They just let many talented people go and are looking for replacements? Someone at MS needs to pull their head out of their !!!!!

I know I will get flamed for mentioning the unmentionable, but...........

Perhaps Aces needed to be scrapped and rebuilt and now was deemed the right time with the recession and the talent pool that will likely be available?

I for one did not feel FSX was cutting edge for flight modeling with the hardware available at release, and don't get me started with the bloated overhead with the coding that made the latest greatest computers of the day run it at 4 FPS if you wanted any trees, buildings, or textures.

Sorry, but 150 people * ~$100,000 / year = a lot. This smells of a house cleaning, and could be a blessing in the long run. I for one feel MSFS was lacking innovation with the last release and needed to go a new direction.

This is not to say Aces wasn't filled with great people who knew their sheet, but perhaps it wasn't a great TEAM of people. Wow, I'm really gonna pay for typing this. :typing:

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    Is this true?? They just let many talented people go and are looking for replacements? Someone at MS needs to pull their head out of their !!!!!
    Keep in mind that (nearly) every former ACES employee have "first dibs" on securing an interview for whatever positions open... :whistle:
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    They need to ditch Balmer, he's almost a legacy now and his inability to 'get' emerging technology and fields or change direction is doing MS no favours.
    They can't, because he invented the

:costumes:

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    They can't, because he invented the

:costumes:

Bjoern,

Where... I ask you... are that mans eyebrows!!!

That is a sign man....

Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

I guess it's out with the old and in with the new. Perhaps using the old team to build an Xbox title to port to the PC wouldn't be a good idea. :whistle:
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem Quad @ 4.2GHz
    EVGA GTX260 216 710/2500MHz
    OCZ Platinum CL7 6GB
    EVGA Intel X58