Might wanna be sitting down for this one... - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Might wanna be sitting down for this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Thompson View Post
    I see fsinsider is still running.
    Not at the moment :help:

As a user of an old sim no longer supported by MS, but still loved by many, could I suggest reports of FSX's death are somewhat exaggerated. This probably means the released code is now frozen, so developers can continue to explore all the sim is capable of without looking over their shoulders for an upcoming FS11, 12, XX. It has taken about six years to explore most of what MS Combat Flight Simulator 3 is capable of, so you've got plenty of scope.

It's not just what MS (and especially Aces) put in the shrinkwrap, it's what the community make of these open-platform products that counts in the long run.

but if there's anything for developing you need to download from MS, you might like to get it now....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    As a user of an old sim no longer supported by MS, but still loved by many, could I suggest reports of FSX's death are somewhat exaggerated. This probably means the released code is now frozen, so developers can continue to explore all the sim is capable of without looking over their shoulders for an upcoming FS11, 12, XX. It has taken about six years to explore most of what MS Combat Flight Simulator 3 is capable of, so you've got plenty of scope.

It's not just what MS (and especially Aces) put in the shrinkwrap, it's what the community make of these open-platform products that counts in the long run.
    Yes, FSX, or FS9 for that matter, isn't dead.

But there are 100 people out there with no job to go back to next Monday. There is a 25+ year 'project' thrown in the toilet.
    Ms decided to turn their back on hundreds of thousands of enthusiastic FS customer overnight.
    FS11 and MST2 are not seeing the light of day anytime soon if at all.

Sure, add-on development and FS usage will continue for years.... but that's not the point today. Or tomorrow.

Throwing the wrong project out of the window, and losing a bunch of very skilled and talented people, IS !
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Hi Folks

Quote Originally Posted by ananda View Post
    Not at the moment :help:
    George -
    It needs to be prefixed by www.
    i.e. http://www.fsinsider.com/

Been like that since they moved servers last year.

HTH
    ATB
    Paul

The ODG Project

I've never felt so frustrated.......
    died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly.......
    yet had so much fun, in a long time.

Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    But there are 100 people out there with no job to go back to next Monday
    And they have my full sympathy, but there's precisely zip I can do about that - business is also about making hard-nosed decisions, so MS's decision doesn't surprise; they are there to make money first, software products second. Nasty, but true of any successful company.

The present economic turmoil will produce more casualties before it's over and non-essential industries like simulations will suffer more than the essential ones. That - sorry! - is the point today and I hope we can all keep our jobs until better times return. But I'm not confident...

S
    Quote Originally Posted by CBris View Post
    Microsoft Flight Simulator is dead, long live its successor.
    Amen to that hehe.

So who's first? Flight Unlimited, you still there? Get to work on an SDK...
    Ah those were solid flightsims that made me fall in love with the California and Washington State area. I'd buy any new sim from them. Time to resurrect Looking Glass Studios.:ernae:

This was 1999....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ainier_eve.jpg

Charter Member 2015
    My personnel thought - we, FS, got the ax, in part, because we, FS, do/did not not support Vista os. "You, fs community, don't play my, MS, way I'm taking my toys and going home!" :caked:

David

A lot of remorse and speculation in this thread, so I'll throw in my views too.

As I've said elsewhere, my sympathies go the aces members who lost their jobs, but FS is not dead for the moment. FS9 is still being enjoyed by many thousands, as is FSX and the latter welcomes new users daily who’ve upgraded their PC’s and are able to enjoy all that FSX has to offer. However, it will be sad if Microsoft don’t continue with the development of FS in the future when the economy stabilises. I'd hate for it to follow the demise of their combat series.

To the ACES team. Wherever you end up, best of luck with your future endeavours, drop by when the dust settles and let us know how you're getting on.

:ernae::ernae::ernae:
    Cheers,

Nick

(screenshotartist - long gone)

Well said, Nick. I echo every word you said. :ernae:

To quote a post I've made at SimHQ:

"Okay, Microsoft, you've said "A". Now say "B".

Either outsource development to a competent team or assemble a new one including some of the old dogs from ACES.

I'm not sad about seeing ACES go. The FS series desperately needs a fresh start. If it takes a whole new team to achieve this, so be it!"

I'm sure you guys know the "Tomb Raider" series, right?

While the first three parts of the series were excellent games, everything went downhill from part four on. After the awful sixth part published in 2003, the publisher canned the development team and everything went quiet until 2006 when the series made a furious comeback with "Tomb Raider: Legend", developed . And from that point on, the quality of the new games has been excellent.

I'm pretty sure MSFS will rise from the ashes someday and set a new benchmark in terms of civil flightsims.
    The new technologies avaible for game engines, like SpeedTree, will make for a way better, more effective experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern
    I'm sure you guys know the "Tomb Raider" series, right?

While the first three parts of the series were excellent games, everything went downhill from part four on. After the awful sixth part published in 2003, the publisher canned the development team and everything went quiet until 2006 when the series made a furious comeback with "Tomb Raider: Legend", developed . And from that point on, the quality of the new games has been excellent.
    After release of excellent Tomb Raider: Underworld (I think it's the best TR I've played), Eidos fired over thirty people from Crystal Dynamics in return, because it sold 'only' 1,5mln worldwide...

I'm afraid we won't see FSnext, or TS2...

You know, if I was Austin over at X-Plane, I would be taking a huge loan out right now and hiring every developer I can think of, and members of the ACES team. There is such a huge opportunity to expand it is unbelievable. If the addon market doesn't follow, build addons in house and sell them until the market catches up.

LOL ! I would think Austin needs to change a thing or two in his operations before he could even think about that.
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Quote Originally Posted by empeck View Post
    After release of excellent Tomb Raider: Underworld (I think it's the best TR I've played), Eidos fired over thirty people from Crystal Dynamics in return, because it sold 'only' 1,5mln worldwide...

I'm afraid we won't see FSnext, or TS2...
    I think we will. Not before 2012/2013 though.

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    LOL ! I would think Austin needs to change a thing or two in his operations before he could even think about that.

You said it..I demoed the game last night,and could not even get into the air ..All i did for my 10 minutes was to stumble around......Plus it artifacted all over the place..Seems it does not like the 8.12 ATI drivers at all....Hmmmm

I asked for help on their forums,and the reception was IMO far from friendly...

So my new Christmas unopened present is going back to best buy..They can have it....LOL

Sorry to rant and hijack .....

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    From what I hear it was due out at Christmas..but they ran over with it and it was not ready then..How far off it really was is as guess ....
    Christmas 2009, not this past Christmas! :whistle:
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    Christmas 2009, not this past Christmas! :whistle:

Hmmm I think I was refering to MSTS on that......

Was I wrong? I was pretty sure it was due out around that time....

But not FS 11....... Was not refering to that....

Quote Originally Posted by Pepere View Post
    My personnel thought - we, FS, got the ax, in part, because we, FS, do/did not not support Vista os. "You, fs community, don't play my, MS, way I'm taking my toys and going home!" :caked:

David
    My thoughs too David.

If you can't play nice and buy what I have to offer you... TS! You can't have my toys at all cause you don'
    t play fair. All this from MS might just drive customers away permanently. If Apple and Mac can switch to make all MS games playable, and programs doable... they just might take over MS's coveted spot. Then where will MS be? I'm thinking here ----> :toilet:
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

Hi guys,

as for the TS2 release date, now obsolete, see http://tsinsider.com/product/overview.aspx

I don't think it was in Beta yet but pretty far advanced. Can you imagine putting all that creative energy into a huge project like this and then someone from upstairs tells you and your colleagues to clear your desk within 24 hours, and don't forget to switch off the lights...

Cheers, Holger

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
    If Apple and Mac can switch to make all MS games playable, and programs doable... they just might take over MS's coveted spot. Then where will MS be? I'm thinking here ----> :toilet:
    Yep! This move by MS does leave a door wide open in sveral areas for someone or severl someones to move on in. Time will tell. :wave:

David

I thought this idea was pretty good, one of the better ideas anyway. Is something like this at all feasable? Posted by Gizmo at nvnews.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo
    I think that the core guys from aces should get together and write a core 3d engine that can handle all the current FSX SDK complient file formats and market it just as a backend standalone 3d engine,theres really no need for them to build a completly new sim as all the content is out either free or payware FSX's engine problems are all about how it handles its files not the content or weight of those files,this would give the FS community a better platform to work from & be one in the face for the suits at M$
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem Quad @ 4.2GHz
    EVGA GTX260 216 710/2500MHz
    OCZ Platinum CL7 6GB
    EVGA Intel X58

The sky is falling the sky is falling, run away, run away!!!! :gossip:

Marvin Carter

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holger Sandmann View Post
    Hi guys,

as for the TS2 release date, now obsolete, see http://tsinsider.com/product/overview.aspx

I don't think it was in Beta yet but pretty far advanced. Can you imagine putting all that creative energy into a huge project like this and then someone from upstairs tells you and your colleagues to clear your desk within 24 hours, and don't forget to switch off the lights...

Cheers, Holger

So true....

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SolarEagle View Post
    I thought this idea was pretty good, one of the better ideas anyway. Is something like this at all feasable? Posted by Gizmo at nvnews.
    Financed how??
    Employees who find themselves suddenly unemployed need to find a job that will pay for the neccessities of 'real' life.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,