Might wanna be sitting down for this one... - Page 5
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Might wanna be sitting down for this one...

Very sad, for those MS employees affected as well as the members of the flight simming community around the world.
    "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

I'm still trying to find out the details, but it may be that ESP stays around. My understanding is that there is still a skeleton crew around of core ACES employees (ESP). If I hear more, I'll certainly let you all know.

to all those folks who lost their jobs:
    best of luck to you. the talent you posess will see to it you're not job hunting very long i would suppose. thanks for doing your best while you were there at aces.

i have to say in my mind, it initially appears to be a good thing for developers and hobbyists. in my mind it sounds logical that we would see more/better add-ons for fsx because it will allow the sim to have a longer life.
    frankly i was getting a little uneasy with all the talk of what fs11 might be like. my rig barely runs fsx right now. i am encouraged to think that fsx will be current when i am finally able to upgrade, and there should be some really butt kickin add ons for it by then as well.

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post

One thing I learned while serving the U.S. Army Airborne that always kept me going-that is another story. There is always one more thing you can do. Never give up, never quit, never say die, but most all, look at what skills you possess and make the most out of the tools you have to work with. There will always be obstacles in our way even in good times, we must learn to adapt and overcome. Every soldier knows this, and so should every man, woman and child.
    probably the most important thing i've ever seen posted on any forum, anywhere, anytime

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Judging by the weather I have been downloading, Jepperesen has gotten the Ax too. FSX weather has always been off a bit
    Do ya'll find this true?
    :faint:
    yes, it has baffled me since the start

Very sad news indeed, I think Ted said it all in his post No 80 above.

I 've been there , done that and bought the bloody Tea shirt also.

Very well worded Ted

Good luck to all of you ACES, and many thanks for what you have already done for all us Sim Flyers.

Charter Member 2015
    I too would like to offer my well wishes to the former ACES team. No point dwelling on the past, but instead look forward to a new chapter in your lives. I was made redundant 6 years ago, having worked in my company for 13 years, so I've an idea of what you may be going through. My wife had only recently given birth to our first child and we had a new mortgage at the time too. I re-trained myself and got a better job in a completely different field soon after. My current job prospects aren't looking great at the moment either , but I'll persevere and will face that challenge if and when it arises.
    That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger!:amen:
    I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

S
    I was more sad when they closed Ensemble Studios. Bunch of morons. I devoted so much time to their games and they were so successful. I hope Microsoft explodes. Free market to power. Though realistically I know greed is a shapeshifting occurance. Talk about revolving doors. Oh well. Really sorry for all the dedicated people at ACES. That sucks! Let's hope they will be able to find other game developers that are willing to take them and their knowledge aboard and put it to good use!

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    If we could get every flightsimmer in the world to pony up $10 or so, maybe we'd have enough capital to start our own flightsimulator line...
    Where do I send the 10 bucks? :amen:

This can in no way be just because of slow sales..It is that- but it is probably also future predictions of being taxed to death..Microsoft are considered the so called (Rich) and they are probably securing the planes and trains.. is all for the next 4 years.. Taxation to prosperity is as much a myth as trickle down economics:karate:

Quote Originally Posted by noshadez View Post
    This can in no way be just because of slow sales..It is that- but it is probably also future predictions of being taxed to death..Microsoft are considered the so called (Rich) and they are probably securing the planes and trains.. is all for the next 4 years.. Taxation to prosperity is as much a myth as trickle down economics:karate:
    I'm sorry, but I'm baffled with this :isadizzy:
    Regards,
    Robert

this will be missed 2: I don't s'pose anyone can tell us how far along it was?....I'm a real masochist I know...
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Wow! Nice model...SD-40-2?
    Regards,
    Robert

yes - check out Train Sim 2 or TS2 and look at those beautiful models...its just sad
    enter..the Sandman

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    this will be missed 2: I don't s'pose anyone can tell us how far along it was?....I'm a real masochist I know...

From what I hear it was due out at Christmas..but they ran over with it and it was not ready then..How far off it really was is as guess ....

Ok let me un-baffle you-- The Rich such as who make big bucks and control companies such as Microsoft are not going to be a hero, take a pay cut or sell their mansion for a smaller modest house for the (We can) or (Change) feel good thingy --or for the big one (Spread the wealth)=Tax the rich- to keep their employees such as the aces team..What they will do (as history easily predicts) is Fire most of everybody and hole up..thus the employees get the ax..In other if you have not heard the new president of the US wants to spread the wealth (soak the rich with heavy taxes) Thus large companies are rolling in the sidewalks until (If) the storm passes

Sorry. I won't bite...
    Regards,
    Robert

Ok let me un-baffle you-- The Rich such as who make big bucks and control companies such as Microsoft are not going to be a hero, take a pay cut or sell their mansion for a smaller modest house for the (We can) or (Change) feel good thingy --or for the big one (Spread the wealth)=Tax the rich- to keep their employees such as the aces team..What they will do (as history easily predicts) is Fire most of everybody and hole up..thus the employees get the ax..In other if you have not heard the new president of the US wants to spread the wealth (soak the rich with heavy taxes) Thus large companies are rolling in the sidewalks until (If) the storm passes
    no - prolly has much more to do with the relative failure of Vista and the Zune fiasco and the ruined economy, than political rhetoric...

this is not a political forum but Yes we Can talk about flight sim news and try to Change the emotions of those so recently affected from one of sadness and trepidation to one of some hopefullness whilst also showing gratitude from the community to those who helped make Flight Sim the very best of its kind bar none.
    enter..the Sandman

777 Studios - Jason
    Hi guys,

I just wanted to chime in and say what a bummer this is for everyone involved. Sorry to hear of the shut down of ACES. I think a lot of us in the community had friends or knew someone who worked there. I hope the talented folks who worked there will land safely somewhere else.

Jason

Yep, and freedom is slavery. Only one problem... you're 24 years too late.

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    From what I hear it was due out at Christmas..but they ran over with it and it was not ready then..How far off it really was is as guess ....
    The 2008 Xmas deadline was put back a long time ago, mid last year I think, the latest deadline I'd heard was 2009 Q2 or realisitcally Q3, it was quite advanced and a lot of good art work had already been produced.

Best

Michael

Microsoft Flight Simulator is dead, long live its successor.

There's a thriving addon market that is making big business in the simulated flight world. So what is now really stopping a breakaway team to create a new aviation simulator? All the addon makers would gladly support a new venture with it's own SDK.

It would have to be created from the ground up, just to make sure no proprietary MS bloat-code was used. But keep your eyes open... New aviation simulation software won't take long in appearing and WE will be the judges. As long as any new development does what FSX and FS9 did OR that the new SDK at least makes it EASY for software developers to re-compile their products, the WE win

Microsoft does not own ANY of the thousands of former third party developers and it is THEY who Microsoft had to thank for the success of FS, not the other way around. So the Big M has meigsed up. All the addon developers own their own code and can use it for any new simulation that decides to make it easy for them.

So who's first? Flight Unlimited, you still there? Get to work on an SDK...
    Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

My paints can now be found on my website

Perhaps I'm in denial, but I believe that the death of Flight Simulator is greatly exaggerated. Take a look at this item from just a few months ago.

If Microsoft has suspended this project, it has done so only temporarily. This is the future--with Microsoft taking the lead in the creation of new "metaverses." They can steal a march on Google (already charging in this direction) but in order to do this, there is a bit of awkwardness concerning the internal organization of the company. After all, ACES Studio could not "take over" Microsoft--the tail cannot wag the dog--but, from a strategic point of view, that is what has to happen, to some extent. The demise of ACES Studio is just a strategic redeployment on the way to a much greater goal.

In the future, "simulation" will no longer be a part of Microsoft, it will be ALL of Microsoft.

Charter Member 2011
    2nd star to the right...you see that old torino?..ask there
    Well...it already is..they give you the simulation of a full working OS...nad it´s called Vista!!!

Prowler

My condolences to those that have lost their jobs.

Now in regards to the alleged demise of Flight Sim I suggest ya'll sit back & take a deep breath!

If there is money to be made in FS IMO MS will continue to pursue it. That's what corporations do even with slim margin products. So long as everyone is getting paid & the ledger still in the black its a winner. In the unlikely event that MS doesnt forge on (this is just a guess but I think this was a reorganizational move) someone else will.
    As has been previously stated, FSX has a lot of life in it. In fact IMO it is still in its infancy. We have many years of enjoyment ahead of us with FSX.

Now ya'll quit wringing your hands & rending your clothes & instead pick up your joystick. Or better yet, hit a payware dev's website & buy that addon you have been considering. Go back to enjoying this wonderful sim the good people at Aces have made for us.
    Regards, Bob

Core i7-9470 4.4GHz 8MB Cache | Dual 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 2300Mhz | 500GB Samsung Evo SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

I see fsinsider is still running, interesting note in Developers Corner regarding ESP.