Might wanna be sitting down for this one...
Page 1 of 11 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Might wanna be sitting down for this one...

Unhappy Might wanna be sitting down for this one...

It would seem that Microsoft has given pink slips to Aces...:faint:

My source is a solid one. I am certain he will post soon regarding this very shocking bit of news.
    Regards,
    Robert

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    uh? Don't like the sound of this.:gossip:
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Charter Member 2015
    Well, if that is true - lets look on the bright side- that should but more life into FSX! :typing:

After two years I'm just getting mine to work better plus it should help with developers to get some new aircraft/addons out for us's.

David

going slightly off topic, were they also working on train simulator 2?

Regards,
    Robert

Unhappy

Yep I just saw that too. :faint:

Some really good people there. This could be a real blow to the gut for the community.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy

harleyman
    Oh man........Thats is terrible news....Poor us..Even worse for the guys and their famalies....Man...That bites...

I have been drooling over MSTS for months too.:help:

And preparing for a build for FS X1....

Wow!!:faint:That seems to be an insane move on Microsoft's part. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Wow! I heard that MS was laying off 5,000 employees, a first in the history of that company. I'm really going to be bummed if the 'entire' Aces team is laid off.

It's a crazy time in history, especially around the tech world. Looking at the front page of HardOCP are two opposing headlines, 'Microsoft Posts Weak Earnings, Cutting 5,000 Jobs' and 'Apple Trounces Wall Street Estimates'. Who would've ever guessed.

http://www.hardocp.com/

All that work they put in to be more involved with the community.... Check Anaconda Catalogue and Best and less Catalogue. and now Balmer pulls the rug out from underneath them. Should have fired the Zune team as it looks like PC gaming revenues went up 3%.

Keep Aces... trash Zune.

Really bummed right now.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy

so we get Macs or we get consoles...eventually life goes on - the flight sim community is big enough to warrant ongoing development somewhere.

is it time for a petition in the meanwhile? cause its better to act fast than to sit around grousing about it

where is P-12 Paul I wonder
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Bush Viking
    If so.... what about TS2 & FSXI ! :faint:

I hope your source is mistaken Robert !
    i really would hate to hear this is true.
    what a nasty shock !

datter
    I just heard about this a little while ago myself. Sign o' the times I'm afraid... and really too bad.

good thing 1c is still working on the Storm of War and Neoqb is still working on Rise of Flight.

M/S had a good thing going...I blame the Vista O/S debacle - that piece of carp really cost them big time

Here they had the next generation civil flight sim in their hands and its all over - hell they should let the ACES team design the next O/S and fire the clowns in THAT department
    enter..the Sandman

It has been said that the bean counters have the last word , guess there is some truth to that after all .<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    The FSX platform remains stable and there was no plans for any service packs anyway , ESP must be supported , that is the Aces in the hold.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    Actual members of Aces are under NDA agreements and are likely to respect the letter of the law in forums i should think, press releases from spin doctors will doubtless be forthcoming, i still think there will be a console release eventually .... time will tell , bean counters count verry well after all.

yeah I seee Phil Taylor is in the room - I guess its unlikely any of those guys can comment other than to agree that its a dam shame...if all this news is true.
    enter..the Sandman

Charter Member 2011
    phil hasnt worked at aces for a while though, went to work at intel, so i doubt he knows whats truley going on either, unless he kept links
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

yeah but he was pretty connected over there - wasn't he an ACES team leader for awhile? - he would likely know more than we do about this one would think.
    enter..the Sandman

From my post at Avsim...

Sad to see Phil but not unexpected given the current economic conditions.
    You, Hal, Z, Singer, and the rest of the guys at the Studio have done an outstanding job on your outreach to developers and the community.
    Thanks for all of your efforts and let's hope there is a turnaround at some point in the future.

Meantime, Team Eaglesoft will continue to develop for both FS9 and FSX Platforms as they are the only game in town at this point
    Best Regards,
    Ron Hamilton

Charter Member 2011
    yea progamming lead i think, but what i mean is that would be people who work for intel know the ins and outs of job cuts at microsoft, as i said, unless hes kept in touch with the ACES lot i doubt he knows much more than us, and even if he did i dont think he'd say much, if anything.

But of course i could be completly wrong
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    yeah but he was pretty connected over there - wasn't he an ACES team leader for awhile? - he would likely know more than we do about this one would think.
    yes, I have contacts.

it's a sad day, that is all I can say at this point.
    http://www.futuregpu.net
    ex Lead PM, Core Platform, Aces Studio, MGS
    now LRB native title enabler at Intel

So what is left of Aces?

Hal, Z,Singer and Paul?

All that talent just thrown away?

After Windows, FS has to be one of their all time best selling software.

This is EXACTLY why I am staying in the consulting business.... join a company full-time and start to believe... and then some bean counter destroys all the people and the purpose that was created.
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy

O_O;

:faint:

Retired SOH Administrator
    Phil, sorry to read and hear something like this and it saddens our community that MS has decided to go in this direction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

let's not forget the people working for microsoft aren't the only ones losing jobs, there are thousands being laid off in north american car manufacturers and there might be a "recession"