PBY Paints - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: PBY Paints

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Can do, I'll zip it up and upload it tomorrow.
    SSI01, I grew up in Northbrook right next door to NASG. In the 1950's we lived on Shermer Rd. right on the approach to Rwy 17, I got to watch a good bit of Naval Aviation pass over our house every day. If you ever ate at Tonelli's Restaurant on Waukegan Rd. that was our family pizza place.
    First - apologies to Mick, I'd forgotten he was the original author of that paint job. Thanks for giving the OK!

TARPS - Thanks in advance for posting. It's a very attractive job.

Do you remember the Nabisco factory that was located near the back gate to the NAS? When the wind was right that smell from their ovens used to waft over that entire base and make a lot of us hungry.

Ouch! Betcha the boys in the Airframes shop missed the evening movie after that bird came back.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    From what I've read in Dad's logbook this op had a very high pucker factor!

Attachment 9641
    WOW !!!

The NAS Glenview PBY paint job has been uploaded, file name Glenview_PBY-5A.zip. Sorry for the delay, I got a little overcome by household routine the past couple days. Thanks to Mick for his permission to upload the file which is simply a mod of his NAS Squantum paint.

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    TARPS - Thanks in advance for posting. It's a very attractive job.
    Do you remember the Nabisco factory that was located near the back gate to the NAS? When the wind was right that smell from their ovens used to waft over that entire base and make a lot of us hungry.
    I do not remember the Nabisco factory, it probably came to Glenview after I left for active duty in 1968. Frankly I don't remember anywhere near the amount of industrial activity around the base back in the day as there was in the years just before it closed.
    Here in Norfolk our version of the Nabisco factory is a cooking spice packaging plant over by Norfolk International (KORF) and when the wind is right our neighborhood smells like my Grandma's spice cabinet. Brings back pleasant memories.

I just uploaded an update to one of the repaints. It adds the missing chevron to the upper wing of Jim Slattery's warbird N427CV. The chevron wasn't visible in any of the photos I worked from when I painted the plane. I just became aware of it when someone sent me a link to a video that features the plane.

Check this out for some excellent scenes on N427CV in the air, along with some historic PBY footage:

http://vimeo.com/99919462

Members who have read this thread: 18