USS Midway - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: USS Midway

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Did you just add the wake=fx_wake_carrier to the Midway sim config file? I tried it and didn't see a wake. I do have that effect file.
    Correct, whatever fx file Gary had specified, I changed it to "fx_wake_carrier" and it's working OK for me (see pic). Turning down water detail in the scenery settings didn't seem to affect it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Eoraptor1 View Post
    WOW!!! How many hours have you put into building your ship?

JAMES
    James, It was 9/10 months to this stage and has been put on hold for time being .... to many off these wonderful aircraft carriers coming out for flightsim

Great to see Russ, Ian, TARPbird and other FS carrier ops vets here. This is a great addition!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Correct, whatever fx file Gary had specified, I changed it to "fx_wake_carrier" and it's working OK for me (see pic). Turning down water detail in the scenery settings didn't seem to affect it either.
    Well I guess there must be something causing the wake not to show for me

Attachment 12724

here is my sim.cfg file

[fltsim.0]
    title=USS_Midway
    model=
    texture=

[General]
    category=Boat

[contact_points]
    static_pitch=0.0 //degrees, pitch when at rest on the ground (+=Up, -=Dn)
    static_cg_height=0.0 //feet, altitude of CG when at rest on the ground

[DesignSpecs]
    max_speed_mph = 50
    acceleration_constants = 0.5, 0.4 //Time constant (effects responsiveness), and max acceleration (Gs)
    deceleration_constants = 2.0, 0.5 //Time constant (effects responsiveness), and max acceleration (Gs)
    SternPosition = 50

[Effects]
    wake=fx_wake_carrier

Attachment 12725

Well I guess there must be something causing the wake not to show for me

here is my sim.cfg file

[fltsim.0]
    title=USS_Midway
    model=
    texture=

[General]
    category=Boat

[contact_points]
    static_pitch=0.0 //degrees, pitch when at rest on the ground (+=Up, -=Dn)
    static_cg_height=0.0 //feet, altitude of CG when at rest on the ground

[DesignSpecs]
    max_speed_mph = 50
    acceleration_constants = 0.5, 0.4 //Time constant (effects responsiveness), and max acceleration (Gs)
    deceleration_constants = 2.0, 0.5 //Time constant (effects responsiveness), and max acceleration (Gs)
    SternPosition = 50

[Effects]
    wake=fx_wake_carrier
    Just a thought is fx_wake_carrier.fx in your FSX/Effects folder?

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    Just a thought is fx_wake_carrier.fx in your FSX/Effects folder?
    It is...

Attachment 12726

Was that a pic of the midway using Pitching Deck?

Was that a pic of the midway using Pitching Deck?
    No Pitching Deck in use (I pitch and roll enough while flying the airplane, LOL), she's just crankin' along at default speed of 24 knots. That wake effect has some spray with it that suggests a bow wave and might give the appearance of deck movement. Speaking of bow waves, it's too bad there's not as much flexibility with fx files for "Boat" sim objects as there is with airplanes. It would be easy to place an effect of your choice on the bow via the ship's .cfg file rather than have it built into the .mdl file.

No Pitching Deck in use (I pitch and roll enough while flying the airplane, LOL), she's just crankin' along at default speed of 24 knots. That wake effect has some spray with it that suggests a bow wave and might give the appearance of deck movement. Speaking of bow waves, it's too bad there's not as much flexibility with fx files for "Boat" sim objects as there is with airplanes. It would be easy to place an effect of your choice on the bow via the ship's .cfg file rather than have it built into the .mdl file.
    Now I am confused What program are you using the midway in? All along, I thought you were using that Pitching Deck program as it has the ability to make any ship appear to be sailing/moving.
    I have it in AI carriers and it shows but it is just dead in the water like the other carriers that are in there Nimitz etc.

I'm all ears/eyes as to what program you used to make the Midway appear to be sailing with a wake to boot.

Press shift+j to bring the AI Carriers menu up again once the ship has appeared. Press 1 for move forward. Get wake.

Press shift+j to bring the AI Carriers menu up again once the ship has appeared. Press 1 for move forward. Get wake.
    Attachment 12727Ahhh soooo. I didn't know about that +1 to make the ship move and make a wake.
    Thank you very much for that nugget of info. I was having a hellova time getting a wake to show with that "Pitching deck" program. That program must not of been
    compat with showing all wake effects.

Thanks again.

gray eagle, glad you got the ship moving and the wake along with it. Have fun!

Attachment 12727Ahhh soooo. I didn't know about that +1 to make the ship move and make a wake.
    Thank you very much for that nugget of info. I was having a hellova time getting a wake to show with that "Pitching deck" program. That program must not of been
    compat with showing all wake effects.

Thanks again.
    No problem! You can also use that menu to turn the boat in to wind if she doesn't start off heading the right way.

Learn something new everyday.

Thanks for sharing that bit of information.

Russ
    Many may fly and some are rewarded
    handsomely, but the wings of gold of a
    United States Naval Aviator mean more
    than flying. It is dearly bought, requires
    sacrifice to keep and represents a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by rsgunner View Post
    Learn something new everyday.

Thanks for sharing that bit of information.

Russ
    +1. I've seen those menu options before but it never dawned on me what they did or would do.

Just a friendly bump and to say how very much I am continuing to enjoy this great looking model and addition to the FSX moving carriers fleet!

Question: the model posted earlier that didn't have the cats working also had a clear deck. Was a model with both working cats and a clear deck ever posted?

Thanks again!
    expat
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Question: the model posted earlier that didn't have the cats working also had a clear deck. Was a model with both working cats and a clear deck ever posted?

Thanks again!
    expat
    Hay there expat!

No a model with working cats AND a clear deck was never posted, however I will be posting a version which you can then configure to have clear or crowded decks. I'm on vacation at the moment but should have that version posted in a few weeks. All going well once that's done I'll look at Hermes 82, possibly Coral Sea and FDR, then I think I'm going to revisit Oriskany, modify her and use as a template to produce other Essex classes.

Cheers
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gp183601 View Post
    Hay there expat!

No a model with working cats AND a clear deck was never posted, however I will be posting a version which you can then configure to have clear or crowded decks. I'm on vacation at the moment but should have that version posted in a few weeks. All going well once that's done I'll look at Hermes 82, possibly Coral Sea and FDR, then I think I'm going to revisit Oriskany, modify her and use as a template to produce other Essex classes.

Cheers
    Gary
    Would like to see a USS Hancock CVA-19 or a USS Bon Homme Richard CVA-31

Gary - that is awesomely good news! Really enjoying the Oriskany and Midway +looking forward to a clear deck option, also a Hancock, Intrepid, FDR would be cool too! Made a working track on Yankee Station - lots of fun!

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    What aircraft is that? Seems I have been missing some aircraft news. I am trying to help fill in the holes though. . Also on the radar animation... I can help with that if needed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1782365_10202732620458894_4530967046379825661_o.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	13525
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

I was wondering if the Midway is available for general download yet? If so, where's the link?

BTW, if you're ever in San Diego and have the chance - do a tour of the real deal. Well worth it!
    Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    I was wondering if the Midway is available for general download yet? If so, where's the link?

BTW, if you're ever in San Diego and have the chance - do a tour of the real deal. Well worth it!
    Dave.. the beta is available on this thread if you go back through the pages

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    Looks a little like my one Gary
    Ian that model looks amazing. I would love to know more about how you are building it and what you intend to do with a model (vessel!) that large? I did a lot of modeling as a kid, but now am restricted to the virtual kind by nature of travel, children and life in general, so am always envious and and interested in the great work of others!

Eric

Members who have read this thread: 23