USS Midway
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: USS Midway

USS Midway

First test in FSX, hopefully with a close approximation to how she looked in the early to mid 70's. Still loads to do on the texturing, hanger, static crew, aircraft etc etc but i'm slowly getting there. The recent phantom threads have spurred me on to get this finished.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Midway1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	8876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Midway3.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	8877

ATB
    G

Wonderful!!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Looks a little like my one Gary

Looks great Gary, nice work!

Blog Entries
    Awesome news - can't wait.

DL

Quote Originally Posted by gp183601 View Post
    First test in FSX, hopefully with a close approximation to how she looked in the early to mid 70's. Still loads to do on the texturing, hanger, static crew, aircraft etc etc but i'm slowly getting there. The recent phantom threads have spurred me on to get this finished.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Midway1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	8876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Midway3.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	8877

ATB
    G
    WOW!!!!! I gave up wishing for the Midway in FSX a long long long long time ago. And now this pops up.........

I haven't done carrier operations since I retired FS9, but this one will put me back on the boat for sure.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Gary, that is beautiful work. Look forward to seeing Midway fully equipped and ready for shake-down cruise.
    PS - Make sure the air conditioning in the ship's Intelligence Center works as well as what we had when I was aboard.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Excellent work! A friend was stationed on this ship in the mid 1980s.

Guess I'm trying to make up for when I missed her in June 1987 whilst I was visiting Sydney Australia by a couple days and I was told they had an open day to visit the ship .. Dang!

www.aviation-art-in-action.com

Gary,
    Superb work! Been off the grid for the last 3 months (moved into rental home and now into final home). She looks great!
    When you place aircraft - no Tomcats, please. Midway never operated with them. Only Phantoms and then Hornets for the first Gulf War.

Can't wait to get all set up again, and try her out.
    Cheers.
    Deke

She will make an excellent addition to our other fleets @ Naval Engagement thanks...!
    MFC-27/migbait

Quote Originally Posted by navy81 View Post
    Gary,
    When you place aircraft - no Tomcats, please. Midway never operated with them. Only Phantoms and then Hornets
    You're safe Deke. The only reason I took an interest in doing this boat is because I'm a phantom phanatic. Only F-4's, A-6's and A-7's will be gracing the deck.

Cheers
    G

Blog Entries
    Funny, though I've in no way lost interest in the 60s/70s bright colourful Phantom schemes, of late, I've also developed a real taste for the early to mid 80s "transition" schemes ....

The beauty of this Midway project, is just how long a period it could be used in. Obviously, the static aircraft ranged on deck will "peg" that somewhat, so if there's a chance for a "clean" deck (crew and handling equipment ok, but not a/c) - then the options are greater. In the absence of a USS Lexington, might also be nice to have a clean deck for training flights during the 70s/80s period in T-2s.

Looking great Gary - good work.

DL

Quote Originally Posted by navy81 View Post
    Gary,
    Superb work! Been off the grid for the last 3 months (moved into rental home and now into final home). She looks great!
    When you place aircraft - no Tomcats, please. Midway never operated with them. Only Phantoms and then Hornets for the first Gulf War.

Can't wait to get all set up again, and try her out.
    Cheers.
    Deke
    At least one Tomcat did land and takeoff from Midway one day in 1982. During the "Great North Pacific Ops" of Winter 82/83, one of our Enterprise F-14s landed on Midway, due to weather or something, and took off later. I was told the didn't even raise the JBD, since Midway didn't have the "big ones" and an F-14 in "kneeling" position would blow right over the little ones. Then it was "clear the flight deck!" and off she went. Bet that was cool.

This one is looking great. Can't wait!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    At least one Tomcat did land and takeoff from Midway one day in 1982. During the "Great North Pacific Ops" of Winter 82/83, one of our Enterprise F-14s landed on Midway, due to weather or something, and took off later. I was told the didn't even raise the JBD, since Midway didn't have the "big ones" and an F-14 in "kneeling" position would blow right over the little ones. Then it was "clear the flight deck!" and off she went. Bet that was cool.

This one is looking great. Can't wait!
    I vaguely recall my friend telling of his carrier qualifications (F-14) every now and then involving the Midway. Never used ABs on the Midway for take-off as the F-14s were never fully loaded and didn't need the ABs to take off.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

I am definitely looking forward to availability of this beauty. Thank you for previews and status.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Outstanding!
    Ian, that's quite a project. 1/72 or 1/96, or a small aircraft scale like 1/144?

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Funny, though I've in no way lost interest in the 60s/70s bright colourful Phantom schemes, of late, I've also developed a real taste for the early to mid 80s "transition" schemes ....

The beauty of this Midway project, is just how long a period it could be used in. Obviously, the static aircraft ranged on deck will "peg" that somewhat, so if there's a chance for a "clean" deck (crew and handling equipment ok, but not a/c) - then the options are greater. In the absence of a USS Lexington, might also be nice to have a clean deck for training flights during the 70s/80s period in T-2s.

Looking great Gary - good work.

DL
    Agreed! Particularly the NAWC and VX Gray schemes, after some time on the flightline in*the early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    Outstanding!
    Ian, that's quite a project. 1/72 or 1/96, or a small aircraft scale like 1/144?
    Thanks Matey, I went for 1/144 scale making the ship just over 2 meters long, project has been put on hold for a whiles now, no plan's .. book buying measures and build from there.

Something about the class of this aircraft carrier and the ship itself , they have that traditional look and Pleased Gary has hooked into his PC build ... I would like to get my Midway in the water one of these days.

Any news on this great looking carrier?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Any news on this great looking carrier?
    Just about finished on the texturing (just the hanger deck to do). Was going to add some more detail to the carrier but now that simworks are working on a more complex model I'll just park that idea and go with the current detail I've got. (No point in working on two midway models)

ill then add some deck crew and static aircraft and release 'as is'....it'll do as a stand-in until the simworks release. I'll then go back to doing some Royal Navy models that no one has started yet....maybe also finish an updated Essex class.

Cheers
    G

I'll then go back to doing some Royal Navy models that no one has started yet

That sounds promising. Hermes in the sixties? Albion/Centaur? The wartime Ark Royal? Any would be very welcome.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by gp183601 View Post
    I'll then go back to doing some Royal Navy models that no one has started yet....
    ... or just posted about them on forums other than this one

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    Hermes in the sixties? Albion/Centaur?
    I'm working on these three, plus Bulwark and others. The current order of my work is:

HMS Centaur
    HMS Hermes
    HMS Albion
    HMS Bulwark
    ... the others

However, like queues at the supermarket, occasionally one randomly overtakes another!

Anyway, I'm OT here, so I'll finish....

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post

I'm working on these three, plus Bulwark and others. The current order of my work is:

HMS Centaur
    HMS Hermes
    HMS Albion
    HMS Bulwark
    ... the others

Andy
    Just for FSX, or FS9 as well? I've attempted a number of times to mod the old Alphasim Hermes (still not given up), but nice fresh models from yourself would be much better & greatly appreciated.

Also OT, so I'll bugger off now.
    Andy

Members who have read this thread: 23