USS Midway - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: USS Midway

I don't fly/sail FS9. I fly/sail/dive Prepar3D and occasionally FSX, so it is for these that I'm designing. I'm using 3DS Max plus some other packages. Because Prepar3D also includes sub-surface (i.e. submarines) I'm modelling their full hulls, plus rudders and screws etc.

I don't want to give too much away too early, but this was an early WIP for just the hull:

Hull design by Andy L.J. Ford, on Flickr

Anyway, this is thread about Gary's USS Midway, so here I shall stop!

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post

That sounds promising. Hermes in the sixties? Albion/Centaur? The wartime Ark Royal? Any would be very welcome.
    I won't say too much on this as later posts have pointed out this is off topic (and I will create a new thread when I get round to them)...suffice as to say there will be one modern vessel, one or two 'older' vessels, and one or two 'what ifs' that I'll be creating for my own benefit/enjoyment, but will upload if anyone else wants them.

back on topic-I'll be looking for help a little later in repainting some of the static aircraft on Midway if anyone is interested. All credits going to and acknowledged in any upload.

ATB
    Gary

I could jump in and do paint for what ever types and the same lines as the previous skyhawks .
    Sent you a PM

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Attachment 9845
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club, PIRAZ station, CG-10 class Guided Missile Cruiser, 1968

Gary, check your Email (Gmail)
    Last edited by lazarus; July 2nd, 2014 at 22:43.

Rumours of this models death have been greatly exaggerated....

Apologies for the lack of response (especially to the chaps who e-mailed me...Ian and Laz). Had a complete PC meltdown so have had to spend the past few months recovering everything. Model is now complete and i'm wrestling with MCX adding effects (my PC still isn't 100% and so regularly crashes when running MCX)

Flyby in the Cloud9 Phantom

Landing isn't the best but then I've been out of practice for several months

BOLTER! BOLTER!

Time for one more go-around before my PC fell over again

slow progress with adding effects but we're getting there.....

ATB
    G

She looking great , I really hate those PC meltdowns , those Phantom and Corsair models look well done!

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it really looks excellent!

Nice!! Are those the statics i sent you? Either way, it's looking really good, sorry to hear about your PC, happens to most of us sooner or later. Looking forward to a release!!
    Best, Michael

Great news to hear you are back up and running. Latest Midway shots are stunning!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Blog Entries

YES!

Gary,
    looking superb!
    Not sure if you were going with a '70's era Air Wing or an 80's era Air Wing - the primary difference being in the makeup of the Air Wing.
    In both cases, VF-151 and VF-161 flew F-4's (F-4N's then F-4J's in the 70's and then F-4S's in the 80's) Not a huge noticeable change for static aircraft, VA-56 and VA-93 flew A-7A's in the early to mid 70's transitioning to A-7E's in the late 70's through the mid-80's - again not a big deal for static aircraft.

However, is it possible to add a few EA-6B's from VAQ-136 and E-2B's (even C's will do) from VAW-115 as statics? Maybe asking a lot - but since you have this beauty out there, thought i'd inquire.

Thanks for taking this huge undertaking on. All of us who enjoy flying off carriers (both in sim, and formerly in real life), love this gem.

Cheers!
    Deke

That is looking really good!
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by MCDesigns View Post
    Nice!! Are those the statics i sent you?
    It is indeed the statics you sent me-many many thanks!

As you and I have both discussed....not 100% accurate but they do look pretty good! Surprisingly though they are an absolute frame rate killer if added in numbers! I originally had the hangers filled with parked aircraft but it killed the compiler and FSX. Ive stripped everything back to the bare minimum number to get things running

ATB
    Gary

Blog Entries
    Perhaps a repeat request whilst on the topic of static options ...

... a "clear" deck (deck handling equipment, the peeps, but no a/c) option would be nice - so that
    1) folks with low-end PCs can still enjoy the boat
    2) enables a scenario similar to a CARQUAL, where there would typically be very few a/c on deck, and
    3) enables folks to simulate a slight older or newer period than that of whatever refit age you model it in (I think you said 70s). No one will complain that you picked that era, but with the paucity of post-war US non-nuclear carriers out there, this model would be great for simulating naval ops from as early as Cuban Missile to Gulf War.

Just a thought. Looks great though - will eagerly eat up whatever gets released ...

dl

Quote Originally Posted by gp183601 View Post
    It is indeed the statics you sent me-many many thanks!

As you and I have both discussed....not 100% accurate but they do look pretty good! Surprisingly though they are an absolute frame rate killer if added in numbers! I originally had the hangers filled with parked aircraft but it killed the compiler and FSX. Ive stripped everything back to the bare minimum number to get things running

ATB
    Gary
    Sorry to hear that Gary. was hoping since there were around 5k of polys each and made for game use that they would work better for you. You could probably add LODs to them, but that would be a bit of work. Amazing how all the polys add up in a project.

Ship still looks amazing, great job!
    Best, Michael

Gary,

Awesome work chap! Was onboard her again a couple of weeks ago, it will be great to fly from her after all your had work.

Still very much enjoying your Through Decks..

Cheers,

Sketchy

Nice to see some F-4's on the deck.

Perhaps a repeat request whilst on the topic of static options ...

... a "clear" deck (deck handling equipment, the peeps, but no a/c) option would be nice - so that
    1) folks with low-end PCs can still enjoy the boat
    2) enables a scenario similar to a CARQUAL, where there would typically be very few a/c on deck, and
    3) enables folks to simulate a slight older or newer period than that of whatever refit age you model it in (I think you said 70s). No one will complain that you picked that era, but with the paucity of post-war US non-nuclear carriers out there, this model would be great for simulating naval ops from as early as Cuban Missile to Gulf War.
    Doubly second DL's suggestion. This would greatly enhance its appeal and enjoyment. In angled deck form, from 1958-1991 it had one of the widest array of aircraft (Fury's, Demons, Skywarriors, Crusaders to F-18's).

This is looking great!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Gents,

Thanks for all your suggestions. The static aircraft on the deck are definitely (maybe) the cause of some of my issues in compiling this model. However I can't rule out that it's my PC (which is currently limping along with a multitude of issues) which is also part of the root cause.

So, I've taken DL's suggestion and created a 'clear deck' version of Midway. Initial testing seems positive though I can't seem to get the catapults to work even though it looks like i've added it correctly. Arrestor gear seems to work okay. IFOLS needs some adjustment.

So here's how you can help me.

I've attached a Beta version of the clear deck Midway model here:

Attachment 12666

I would appreciate your help in testing this model to see if you have the same issues as myself with the catapults. If anyone is familiar with MCX feel free to adjust any attachpoints and let me know of your findings.

This model isn't going to be anything like the Simworks Studios Midway but it should fill the gap until that model is released

Thanks - and enjoy!
    Gary

Hi Gary
    Re the Cats, it looks like the same trouble as with the Prince of Wales.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=424851
    "The distance from the origin of the model can't exceed 60 meters."

So you just need to move the ship backwards somewhat.
    Otherwise, looking good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    Looks a little like my one Gary

Looking good Ian......
    SoCal Y22......North Pole, Alaska

I also have had many problems with my ships when I try to place static aircrafts. The reason is that doing so it is easy to exceed the number of polys allowed by the compiler. The solution I managed for my last models (the carriers Dédalo and Principe de Asturias and the LPD Juan Carlos I) was to create separate models with the clean ship and the different configurations of planes, helicopters and crew. Tos join them when using AI carriers, you just have to create formations with the ship and the desired configuration model, these last with coordinates 0.0. The models will appear overlapped, and will sail together. For static models just place one over the other. The only question is to create the model with the aircrafts in the place they will occupy on the deck. To do so, I use to copy the deck, then I place the aircrafts and finally I delete the deck. The result is this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dibujo.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	12669

Th AIcarriers config should be something like this:

formation.xx]
    title=Lone PDA_AI
    unit.0=PDA_AI, 0, 0
    [formation.xx]
    title=PDA_crew
    unit.0=PDA_AI, 0, 0
    unit.1=PDA_crew, 0, 0
    [formation.xx]
    title=PDA full
    unit.0=PDA_AI, 0, 0
    unit.1=PDA_crew, 0, 0
    unit.2=PDA_Harrier, 0, 0
    unit.3=PDA_seaking, 0, 0

I wish this could be helpful for you

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by gp183601 View Post
    Gents,

Thanks for all your suggestions. The static aircraft on the deck are definitely (maybe) the cause of some of my issues in compiling this model. However I can't rule out that it's my PC (which is currently limping along with a multitude of issues) which is also part of the root cause.

So, I've taken DL's suggestion and created a 'clear deck' version of Midway. Initial testing seems positive though I can't seem to get the catapults to work even though it looks like i've added it correctly. Arrestor gear seems to work okay. IFOLS needs some adjustment.

So here's how you can help me.

I've attached a Beta version of the clear deck Midway model here:

Attachment 12666

I would appreciate your help in testing this model to see if you have the same issues as myself with the catapults. If anyone is familiar with MCX feel free to adjust any attachpoints and let me know of your findings.

This model isn't going to be anything like the Simworks Studios Midway but it should fill the gap until that model is released

Thanks - and enjoy!
    Gary
    Not too shabby

Will there be a wake effect added?

Attachment 12670

Quote Originally Posted by trucker17 View Post
    Looking good Ian......
    Thanks Craig , done a little to it but been concentrating on other things at the mo .

Members who have read this thread: 23