Grumman F3F-2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grumman F3F-2

Grumman F3F-2

Was the old Aeroplane Heaven F3F-2 ever properly upgraded for FSX Acceleration? I know it was mentioned in a thread a while ago, but I don't recall whether there were still issues, or where any updated files, if they exist, are posted. I always enjoyed it in CFS2 and FS2004, and I'd like to fly it again.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Flies beautifully and looks great in FSX in my experience, with just a few of the normal tweaks.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ghlight=barrel

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ghlight=barrel
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

By usual tweaks you mean prop and glass?

Can't remember exactly but probably the prop, not sure about the glass. Maybe a gauge or two? I do recall that there was nothing major to overcome as with most portovers and am impressed that this goes back to FS2002.

If I see an issue I first search to see if someone else has a fix - usually there is - but if not then fix it myself, e.g. just copy a similar prop texture from another plane. Ditto gauges. All very easy to do and well worth it. Not sure why some are often hesitant about FS9 ports. Most of my 1,000+ aircraft are FS9 planes ported over and flown in FSX.

Never been hung up about needing only FSX native models, bump mapping, 3d gauges,etc - to me possibly a bit over rated and not nearly as important as being able to fly an entire, cherished aircraft that hasn't been specifically built for FSX, e.g. Milton's and Manfred Jahn's jewels come to mind among others.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    . . . . . . . .Never been hung up about needing only FSX native models, bump mapping, 3d gauges,etc - to me possibly a bit over rated and not nearly as important as being able to fly an entire, cherished aircraft that hasn't been specifically built for FSX, e.g. Milton's and Manfred Jahn's jewels come to mind among others.
    My thoughts exactly expat!

You maybe like this?

It’s actually a cfs2 model but always flyable, if ready I plan to make it for FS2004 and FSx also.<o></o>

Wolfgang<o></o>

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...57-F3F-project

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Tutorial/page4

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

Yes, that looks like a good model.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Never been hung up about needing only FSX native models, bump mapping, 3d gauges,etc - to me possibly a bit over rated and not nearly as important as being able to fly an entire, cherished aircraft that hasn't been specifically built for FSX, e.g. Milton's and Manfred Jahn's jewels come to mind among others.
    The bump-mapping allows the talented repainters to show details that were not modelled by the airplane creator. A perfect example is the freeware T6 Texan. The two repaints included in the original package were nice, but the newest repaints by John Terell, which had bumpmaps, really brought the model to a new level !

The 3D gauges are more readable and sometimes smoother than 2d gauges.

The native FSX model allows a correct display of the external in all conditions (in clouds or next to autogen), enables the shadows inside an out, the bumpmapping (for the reason explained above), and most importantly, it makes the aircraft usable for the P3D users like myself

That looks great Wolfi. I look forward to the FSX version.

Was the AH Airplane ever uploaded anywhere besides the now defunct AH Website?

Was the AH Airplane ever uploaded anywhere besides the now defunct AH Website?
    I don't know if it was uploaded anywhere, but it was on a cover CD of PC Pilot magazine.

I enjoy the Grumman G22 Gulfhawk... acrobatic flying!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

I enjoy the Grumman G22 Gulfhawk... acrobatic flying!
    I've seen that one, but it's the colourful pre-war USN markings I like.

Thought I would give it shot in P3D2. Just need to install EZDok... mouse look is to quirky for me.

That is a revelation, that an Fs2002 model shows vc shadows and the vc view issues with the panel platter no longer exist.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

A few pics from P3D2...

I think that the Gulfhawk is different from the Aeroplane Heaven one, and not just a repaint.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib....rchid=25020977

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    That is a revelation, that an Fs2002 model shows vc shadows and the vc view issues with the panel platter no longer exist.
    Also no prop cloud issue or trees too! Still no clickable cockpits and no shine, but for flying fun no need. My joystick controls landing gears, flaps, and throttle. Shift E works and ctrl F2 for setting the cruise rpm at 1800. Same with Robert Sanderson's Boeing 75 Stearman.

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    I think that the Gulfhawk is different from the Aeroplane Heaven one, and not just a repaint.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib....rchid=25020977
    The one I'm using is this one for Aeroplane Heaven...

Attachment 8866

This one is by Kazunori Ito.

Attachment 8867

Yes, just like TuFun I've been mainly using the Gulfhawk repaint for the AH aircraft.
    Mr. Ito's Gulfhawk didn't have a VC, if I remember correctly.

Concerning the shadows in the VC, I believe it was discussed already in the past. Like TuFun said FS2002 and FS9 planes will get external airframe shadows, virtual cockpit shadows, no "props/canopies behind clouds/autogen" issues, etc... and this is really bringing these old models to a complete new level, as you can see below in this shot with Oliver Fischer's Junkers Ju-52. However, the virtual cockpits of these planes are not clickbale anymore, and for me, this is a major show-stopper. As a consequence, there isn't a single FS9 plane in my P3D hangar anymore :/

Same hear about the no clickable cockpits, except for one aircraft... my beloved Stearman! With its simplistic cockpit it's no biggie. Sad to say the Howard 500 is a no go. But hey... Manfred's C-47 filles the gap for me! Works beautifully in P3D2. Has great sound too!!!

Well, at least for the Howard you can still use the native FSX one. Unfortunately, it's made from the early models, not the latest one you worked on. But it's better than nothing

Somewhere hiding in the bowels of the Out House is a FDE I did for this plane in FSX, flew it on one of our London Melbourne races.

Tom

F3F project

Is someone interested to make a test flight in FS x? I made a MDL for FSX but haven’t any experience with the whole FSx setup I use the “DeHavilland_Beaver_DHC2” as a first startup to convert the model, I only transferred the CFS2 contact point’s to the aircraft. So any help from FSx and FS2004 user would be very welcome.

The model itself is still in the building process and it will still take a while to get it ready, but the outer parts are almost ready. There is no Virtual cockpit and no blurred prop in the moment.

Wolfi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F3F 06.jpg  

One sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes (Antoine de Saint Exupéry)

A beautiful model, Wolfi! I am very much looking forward to the new FS2004 version.

LA
    ...things will go as they will; and there's no use hurrying to meet them.

Members who have read this thread: 48