Grumman F3F-2 - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grumman F3F-2

SOH-CM-2024
    Looking good Manuele. I am uploading my Paint Kit for The AH F3F with layered PSD textures to SOH.

Caz

SOH-CM-2024

AH F3F-2 Paint Kit

Be on the lookout for it, I just uploaded a .psd layered Paint Kit for the above to SOH.

Caz

Quote Originally Posted by mvg3d View Post
    Hi Friends,
    I'm attempting to give to the "Barrel" a more realistic aspect :

At this moment I completely remade the fuselage's texturing eliminating also the Alpha channel (the F3F was PAINTED with alu-paint and NOT polished metal) in order to avoid the reflection. I also remade all the paneling using original pics from books, I used Cazzie's texture as guide for positioning of distinctive bands. I also added an heavy weathering....
    Hi Manuele,

Nice job. When will these be available here?

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Hi Manuele,

Nice job. When will these be available here?
    I'm working......
    The textures I'm preparing (2048x2048) will be for FSX ONLY.

Caz, your https://drive.google.com/drive/#my-drive link leads me to my google drive, not yours. Is the whole package available, or only repaints? Sorry, but all these posts in different threads are getting confusing!
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    Caz, your https://drive.google.com/drive/#my-drive link leads me to my google drive, not yours. Is the whole package available, or only repaints? Sorry, but all these posts in different threads are getting confusing!

Three file packages all here at SOH library...

Aeroplane Heaven Grumman F3F-2 (FS2002)
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...9470&catid=120

Caz Texture Package
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...0&linkid=19471

Caz Repaint Kit
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...4&linkid=19473

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Prop MOI

Upon shutdown, the shutdown sounds linger after the props have quit spinning. Now, I tried to tweak the Prop Moi= to different values and the issue is still the same.

Also, I noticed this in the Aircraft Cfg. There must be something else in this Einstein formula that will sync the blade stop with the shutdown sounds.

[propeller]
    thrust_scalar = 1.0
    propeller_type=0
    propeller_diameter=11.000000
    propeller_blades=2 <<<<<<<< Say What? I thought there were 3 blades. I changed it to 3 but don't know if that had any effect.
    propeller_moi=26.800000 <<<< I used larger values and that too had no effect. The blade stops turning and the shutdown sounds linger after prop stops, i.e. not in synch
    beta_max=65.000000
    beta_min=23.000000
    min_gov_rpm=1800.000000
    prop_tc=0.100000
    gear_reduction_ratio=2.380000
    fixed_pitch_beta=20.000000
    low_speed_theory_limit=80.000000
    prop_sync_available=0
    prop_deice_available=0
    prop_feathering_available=0
    prop_auto_feathering_available=0
    min_rpm_for_feather=0.000000
    beta_feather=0.000000
    power_absorbed_cf=0.000000
    defeathering_accumulators_available=0
    prop_reverse_available=0
    minimum_on_ground_beta=0.000000
    minimum_reverse_beta=0.000000

Any news or status of your repaints?

Quote Originally Posted by mvg3d View Post
    Hi Friends,
    I'm attempting to give to the "Barrel" a more realistic aspect :

At this moment I completely remade the fuselage's texturing eliminating also the Alpha channel (the F3F was PAINTED with alu-paint and NOT polished metal) in order to avoid the reflection. I also remade all the paneling using original pics from books, I used Cazzie's texture as guide for positioning of distinctive bands. I also added an heavy weathering....

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Any news or status of your repaints?
    Hi Butch,
    During the past days I studied many pictures from the Web (I found some very good "walkarounds") and various book I have in my collection I noted that there are BIG differences between the real paneling and the Bazzar's/Cazzie's one, probably due to the original mapping used in MDL, at this point the work I made on the fuselage needs an "heavy" revision.....
    However I'm working.....

SOH-CM-2024
    Manuele, for the panel lines, I pretty much used AH's as guides on the fuselage, only using texture shadowing and highlighting. I did better on the wings. I have better plans from models I build, but I went the simple route on the fuselage. Interested to see your marvelous textures. Please be sure and save a layered Paint Kit package for us.

Caz

Same for me here... lots pics and walkarounds. Going to pattern after this aircraft and the wings. But first the tweaks on the sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Same for me here... lots pics and walkarounds. Going to pattern after this aircraft and the wings. But first the tweaks on the sounds.

Man...look at all them rivets/screws, lol

Yep, many small one minus one pattern, will look good in P3D!

Prop buzz and notice those famous buzz at a distance. Revised the startup/idle sounds also.

SOH-CM-2024
    It is so good to watch you guys have so much fun with this old bird. Sounds and looks good TuFun.

Thanks Caz... been waiting a long time for updates. Thought about doing stuff to it for two years, just didn't have time or my skills were not there yet. What sparked the resurrection is Aeroplane Heaven return. I love how you did the folds on the wings, these would look good on a RS Stearman that I fly.

Here is a pretty good look around the F3F-2 N20RW, as it looks today, having rather recently come out of a multi-year in-depth restoration. The owner/restorer even has one of the original gunnery training cameras that was fitted to the center top of the wing on some F3F's (as seen on the AH model) and other Navy aircraft back in the 30's, but it has yet to be fitted to the aircraft. Although this sales page is still accessible, it appears to have been pulled a while back, having never been sold. http://www.platinumfighters.com/#!grumman-f3f-2/cekk

At present, there are only three F3F types capable of flying, those being the F3F N20RW owned by Chris Prevost, the F3F N20FG owned by Jim Slattery, and the G-32 (two-seat F3F) N100TF owned by the Friedkin family. Kermit Weeks also has one, an F3F registered as N26KW, but it hasn't flown in a great many years.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

I was checking the lines in the sim and grabbed this pic... not bad for FS2002 model. Just getting started!

This a pic in P3Dv2, but should look ok in FSX. My main sim is P3Dv2 and all work is done in that sim.

I am getting this weird thing where on start up (start button in vc) the plane goes crazy, flips over and crashes. Anyone else see this? Maybe a contact point issue? Is there another FDE air.cfg around somewhere?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

No, but I do get exactly that with the Hawker Heroes Fury. Both are fine with CTRL+E to start, though.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    I am getting this weird thing where on start up (start button in vc) the plane goes crazy, flips over and crashes. Anyone else see this? Maybe a contact point issue? Is there another FDE air.cfg around somewhere?
    Actually, yes I got the same thing but oddly, it only happened once. I went into slew mode, lowered it back to the ground, released it and it hasn't happened since. No idea what caused it.

Holy Moly Teddy Boy!! I'd install this model just for the sound already ! Fantastic job !!

In fact i did install it a couple days ago via your links (i do love these 'in between' propfighters too!) but the sounds are nothing like i hear in your F3F vids... Also i have only half a prop image from within the VC because of the 'ghost panel' blocking off the lower half (as are the lower parts of the two wires close to the fuselage). Your spinning prop image is just about visible so the missing lower half isn't that noticeable. I see you fixed the double gauge images already too.

It's still a lovely model despite its old age (great job, Barry ! ) the VC is a bit spartanish of course but the flightmodel really needs a overhaul. It'll do an outside loop without having to add power at the bottom...

Can we welcome your mods for the F3F model sooner or later, Ted ? ( i really NEED that soundsuite you are creating ! )

Cheers,
    Jan

Sounds nice, but if you are striving for realism (and that is the desired result right?) compare last video ^ #63 to this video of a real F3-F start up. I detect a sound difference between the two.
    Video in #63 sounds more baritone/deeper then video here.

Get a load of this one:

F3F real sounds

Yet another video of what the Barrel sounds like in real life:

F3F History

Some history of the F3F. Didn't know that at one time they were started with what looks like a blank 12 gauge shotgun cartridge

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Holy Moly Teddy Boy!! I'd install this model just for the sound already ! Fantastic job !!

In fact i did install it a couple days ago via your links (i do love these 'in between' propfighters too!) but the sounds are nothing like i hear in your F3F vids... Also i have only half a prop image from within the VC because of the 'ghost panel' blocking off the lower half (as are the lower parts of the two wires close to the fuselage). Your spinning prop image is just about visible so the missing lower half isn't that noticeable. I see you fixed the double gauge images already too.

It's still a lovely model despite its old age (great job, Barry ! ) the VC is a bit spartanish of course but the flightmodel really needs a overhaul. It'll do an outside loop without having to add power at the bottom...

Can we welcome your mods for the F3F model sooner or later, Ted ? ( i really NEED that soundsuite you are creating ! )

Cheers,
    Jan

At the moment some sounds are raw sounds clips and need massaging and balance. If you have P3Dv2, that ghost box is gone. Good video of the slight prop buzz and startup.

Members who have read this thread: 48