Captain Sim Legendary F-104
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Captain Sim Legendary F-104

Captain Sim Legendary F-104

I have the Captain Sim f-104 for FS9 and they don't make it for FSX so I ported it over and wow! It works great except and maybe someone can help. The Landing gear will not retract. Panel, gauges everything works! (the afterburner won't fire up but I know how to fix that) but the gear. Any ideas? I would have bought an FSX version but they haven't upgraded.
    Mike G.
    Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler with Triple Monitors

I have not heard of this problem before, the only issue I still have is the TF-104G backseat canopy animation (Exit-2) does not work. Did you engage the generator switches? They are on the electrics popup panel, some things like the flaps do not work when generators are off.

Quote Originally Posted by uniform7 View Post
    I would have bought an FSX version but they haven't upgraded.
    Have you tried the SimSkunkWorks F-104 ? They have a freeware one (based on an upgrade of the cloud9 one) and a payware one (new model).
    Both are in FSX native format. I have the freeware one and it's a true gem. The flight model is fantastic.

Captain Sim F-104

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    I have not heard of this problem before, the only issue I still have is the TF-104G backseat canopy animation (Exit-2) does not work. Did you engage the generator switches? They are on the electrics popup panel, some things like the flaps do not work when generators are off.
    Yes! The generators! Thank you. One more thing, the afterburner, what gauge folder do I need to port over? I auto installed in FS9 and I am not sure I brought all the gauges over.
    Mike G.
    Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler with Triple Monitors

U., check your PM inbox.

Just felt it was time to revisit an old friend (actually, this was my 1st addon aircraft, purchased it in 2004).
    This hi res FSX repaint is Royal Netherlands Air Force D-5809 as used by the F-104 conversion unit (TCA) at Leeuwarden AB, 1977.
    The file has been uploaded to the Warbirds Library.

Edit: Lots of advice on how to get the Legendary F-104 working in FSX can be found in this thread:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ight=legendary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CS_TF-104G_D-5809s.jpg  
    Last edited by hschuit; October 7th, 2014 at 12:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Have you tried the SimSkunkWorks F-104 ? They have a freeware one (based on an upgrade of the cloud9 one) and a payware one (new model).
    Both are in FSX native format. I have the freeware one and it's a true gem. The flight model is fantastic.
    SimSkunkWorks web site is hosed. I.e. cannot log in anymore since they went to new web page. http://www.vaafse.org/simskunkworks/web/

They have a contact us button but they are a little slow in replying. When you do use the contact us button you have the option of sending a copy of the email to your address.
    That don't work either. From what I have read on other blogs. that "Free" F-104 is free for a donation.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...s/3601869.html

No it's not.
    The F-104S version 2.6 for FSX (FSX native model) is FREEWARE, you don't have to pay anything to get it.
    The F-104 from SimSkunkWorks had several versions:
    - The old ones (2.6 and lower) got freeware. They were a partial rebuild of the Cloud9 Starfighter.
    - The newest ones (version 3.x) are payware. They are a major rebuild, or a new model in fact, from what I understood.

Bottom lines are:
    - I could download the older version for free from the older simskunkworks website, I didn't have to pay anything for that.
    - Since they changed the website, the old registrations are no more valid. You have to register again to the new site.
    - In the new site, it seems the freeware version of the F-104 is not available anymore, I couldn't find it.

Thanks for clearing that up. Guess the "Freeware F-104 is kaput. Bummer,

Blog Entries
    Nice paint, H!

This was my first payware too - loved it in FS9, and FSX before my new build and DX10. For some reason, I had issues in DX10. You have it in DX10? Would love to get it going again, though - the cockpit textures were delightful, and I don' t know we'll ever see a TF version in FSX anytime soon ....

dl

Cpt Sim F-104

I figured mine out. Ported over to FSX and both adjusted the panels for triple monitors!
    Mike G.

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Nice paint, H!

This was my first payware too - loved it in FS9, and FSX before my new build and DX10. For some reason, I had issues in DX10. You have it in DX10? Would love to get it going again, though - the cockpit textures were delightful, and I don' t know we'll ever see a TF version in FSX anytime soon ....

dl
    DL, you are welcome - I do not use DX10 so no clue I am afraid.

Might be worth shooting the SSW guys an e-mail about the freebie F-104.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Might be worth shooting the SSW guys an e-mail about the freebie F-104.
    They still as yet have not sent me a confirmation email with activation. Had to re register when they changed their URL and web page.

Edit: they sent me a email with my login info and sure enough that freeware F-104 is not there. Wish I could find a copy of it.
    Last edited by gray eagle; October 8th, 2014 at 10:07.

Blog Entries
    Guys, (not a rant, just a courteous request )

To keep things focused, can we please keep this thread to the CS model?

There's a number of better threads on the SSW model ... there's fixes, photos, and lots of good data, much of it still relevant ...

1) Freeware: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-104s-freeware
    2) Payware: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...SW-F-104-mania

Thanks - current and esp future SOH readers will appreciate it.

dl

Just a uploaded to the Warbird Library: Hi Res FSX + low res FS9 repaint of Italian Airforce MM54253 which was used by 4° Stormo 20° Gruppo based at Grosseto. This aircraft was one of the stars at the Oct 2010 COMAO photocall at Kleine Brogel AB, Belgium.

Blog Entries
    Nice D paint!

dl

Soon available from the Warbird Library: Hi Res FSX + low res FS9 repaint of Royal Canadian Airforce CF-104D 104636 which was used by the 1st Canadian Air Group based at Baden-Söllingen, Germany.
    The scenery is Uwe Steenweg's EDSB Baden-Söllingen.

Blog Entries
    That's it. Now you've done it Henk.

Forced me to go try and get this thing working in DX10 ...

great repaint.

DL

Blog Entries

Don't think it will work in DX10 ...

Tried for a couple of hours to try and get this model to work in DX10 - no joy. Can't find a replacement canopy texture that works.

In DX10, the view out from the VC is almost completely black, and from the external / spot view, the canopy surfaces are opaque white.

Since I'm too far gone down the DX10 route to go back, it's a shame I can't enjoy this model and these great repaints. Thanks all the same!

Unless anyone else has any ideas, I think this is an FSX DX9 only model - in which, incidentally, it looks and works very well.

Regards,

dl

DL, not sure if it helps but attached you will find my modded glass textures I use in FSX/A DX9:

cheers, Henk.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    DL, not sure if it helps but attached you will find my modded glass textures I use in FSX/A DX9:

cheers, Henk.

That fixed it Henk !!! It's a bit light - almost invisible - but enough to do the job.

Thanks so much - off to get your paints...

Kind regards

dl

DL, you can customize the transparency to your liking if you have Martin Wright's DXTBMP tool: Export the alpha channel, make it a bit brighter to increase opacity, then import it back into the texture file. I used these RGB values for the alpha's:

External canopy glass F-104G-0_T.bmp : 17/17/17
    VC glass F-104G-0_T.bmp : 0/0/0

I just spotted some recent Luftwaffe repaints for the Captian Sim TF-104G at simviation and following the suggested link to the product page (http://www.fspilotshop.com/captain-s...d4qbj8nm27e3f7) I saw listed a single-seater F-104G as part of the package. When I bought my copy from CS long ago it was just the two-seater. When did this change come about and was an update made available?

Oh, and sorry for resurrecting an old thread.

Frank, I bought my copy in Feb 2004 and then it was v1.2 which included the single and 2-seaters. If you can retrieve your purchase order no. you should be able to get a re-download from your CS account, the latest version I got is 1.3.

Members who have read this thread: 18