[Ask] How to change Me163_599 / Me163B cockpit? - Page 6
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: [Ask] How to change Me163_599 / Me163B cockpit?

oh, yes, Mr. MajorMagee! Ive used your wheel disc (rim) photo as a new base paint for the Komet wheel skins.
    is it ok for you? a four wheel skins are made now from this source, including the red and redwhite disc color version. I will post some shots later.

another nice news: I got permissions from Erwin Wiedmer (www.deutscheluftwaffe.de) to use his Me 163B instrument / panel photo for our Komet textures - so I will enhance the front panel texture a bit yet

ok, the "phantastic four" wheel skin set... see bottom

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Komet_new_wheel_01b.jpg   Komet_new_wheel_02b.jpg  

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

Thanks

Haven't been this excited since Sky Unlimited's P-51 Mustang was released! Unlike CFS3's GO-229 this aircraft saw action.I always thought the Me-163 should have been included in CFS3 originally. Excellent work O GREAT ONE!!! Keep us posted please and much thanks!!

oh, thanks for such kind of nice words

well, I still remember the Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe gameplay euphory of and to be honest since this I always wanted to see Me 163B in any "real" flightsim.
    there was a lot of Me 262 jets made for example, but up to Il-2 Sturmovik there was no flyable Komet made - meant at commercial scene, if I good remember. a bit later we got a flyable Komet with Wings Of Pray, and latestly we can fly this rocket birdy at World Of Airplanes. god thanks for that
    aside this I am very happy of the Flight Replicas FSX Komet release - this small team took it bit more seriously, it seems and it looks like a good Komet stuff, I would say. no wonder it is a payware - it just looks perfect, I suppose here needs to say I dont have FSX sofar, so I cant test it.

our CFS3 Komet solution should be a simple alternative for all Komet fans and combat pilots, given public as freeware...

ok, here is latest cpit screenshot, presenting the bit enhanced front panel texture.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails enb2015_1_27_23_35_48.jpg  

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Truly Beautiful!!
    Much rejoicing!!

Nice! I think this model will rival any of those. The FSX one I think is the best, but I think we may be the first to have a properly working rocket motor in an MS sim and of course we can actually shoot things with it!

That looks amazing! I just wish I could have gotten some open cockpit pictures too.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

June 10, 1945 Interrogation of Alexander Lippisch.

Lippisch indicated that the later stages of his development of flying wings were mostly related to the Me163 series. This airplane exists in three arrangements. The 163A had zero moment coefficient sections and obtained stability by washout. The 163B superseded this with a wing of nearly identical planform but with an airfoil with positive moment coefficient at the center. The tips were symmetrical and had 5.7 degree of aerodynamic washout. The leading edge was sweptback 29 degrees and a 40% span fixed slot was used. The wing of the 163C differed from that of the 163B primarily in that the twist was removed.

A fixed slot was used to prevent tip stalling with attendant bad rolling characteristics as well as longitudinal instability. Lippisch use fixed slots because he felt that the drag of a properly designed fixed slot was no greater than the actual drag of a moveable slot when manufacturing tolerances and flight deflections were considered. His fixed slots were designed to have low drag by connecting points of equal pressure. He estimated the local section drag was increased by 30% by the slot.

Lippisch said that the most serious stall problems were encountered upon recovery from turns. This was due to the use of down elevons at high lifts in this condition. This is not a steady state condition but a maneuvering condition.

The 163B airplane was rocket powered. It had 1500Kg thrust as weighed 4100Kg initially, 2100Kg of fuel were carried and all but 500Kg were consumed in the climb which took 3 minutes to reach 10000 meters. The remaining fuel was used for cruising and combat. Due to the inertia of rotating parts the engine required one minute to reach full power.

At high mach numbers a diving moment was obtained. The airplanes were placarded against exceeding M 0.75 by a Mach meter. Recovering from excessive speed could be made by cutting power. Wind tunnel experiments indicated critical stability Mach numbers of M 0.85 for 163B and M 0.92 for 163C.

A CG location of about 21% MAC was used. CG limits of 17 to 22% are normal. The elevons are specially designed. They have 26.3% of their area ahead of the hinge line and have a rounded nose. There is a large gap between the elevons and the wing and the wing ahead of the elevon is terminated in a radius. The elevons do not cause much instability due to upfloating. The leading edge slot which has an exit gap of 1.2% chord prevents serious upfloating near the stall.

Lippisch has done much work on lateral stability. Very little dihedral is used and roll due to yaw is kept as small as possible but still positive. Sufficient vertical tail is added to keep a conventional ratio of rolling moment due to yawing movement due to yaw. Lippisch desires to have a lateral center of pressure about 40% MAC aft of the CG. HE considers it necessary to use a vertical tail on tail-less airplanes. HE does not believe that these tails should be located on wing tips because of flutter problems and effects on the tip vortex on the rudders.

Lippisch has obtained a maximum value of lift of 1 – 1.25. The lift drag ratios of his airplanes are 163A 1:18, 163B 1:16, 163C not measured. These airplanes have an aspect ratio of 4.4.
    Last edited by MajorMagee; January 28th, 2015 at 10:05.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Great find! If you come across anything else like that please let me know. I am strongly considering purchasing air wrench and rebuild the air with it and add in the pieces that are already set. But first there are a few other aspects of the project I need to focus on. But I am trying to gather useful aerodynamic info, which that article was chock full of, thanks!

Blog Entries
    WOW!!!! A lot of info. there ,MajorMagee ! Wish i had a book with that much detail. Have only one decent book that covers only jet and rocket fighters of WW2. What is the title of the book you have? It is my hope that the Me-163 project's flight model is as close as possible to the real thing. It's better to take your time and get it right,than rush on it. Amazing work on the Me-163!!!Looks very professional .So thankful for the time and research that has gone into the Me-163 project!!

a doubled post originaly, sorry - will put there something usable

interesting sources: a Komet Handbook and other things:

deutscheluftwaffe.de - Messerscmitt A.G.
    Last edited by BorekS; January 29th, 2015 at 02:02.

a doubled post originaly, sorry - will put there something usable

a Memorandum Report on ME-163B - Army Air Forces
    Last edited by BorekS; January 29th, 2015 at 02:03.

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Wish i had a book with that much detail.
    well, I personally am owner of few books (translated into my mother tongue), written by real Komet pilots:

Rocket Fighter by Mano Ziegler

Top Secret Bird by Wolfgang Spate

there exists also a lot of monography books, which I have, like those:

Bojové legendy - Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet
    Me 163 Komet (Monografie Lotnicze 35)

A great source of info is a Robs site about Komet, this is a References page

There is a nice documentary movie about Komet, the Me-163 Komet - Wings of the Luftwaffe
    and few anothers like this one: Dr Reinhard Opitz - Me163 pilot

It's called Captured Eagles by Frederick Johnsen. ISBN 1782003681 or 978-1782003687
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the links,very useful. I loved the whole Wing series on the discovery/military channel too . The series is what sparked my interest in the Me-163 in the first place. Let's hope this project on the Me-163 will fly as great and accurately as it physically looks also.

thanks
    well, as to the visuals, the external 3d model itself is really dated and unchanged since 2003 infact. the main virtual cpit mesh (except the instruments, crated latest months newly) is so old too.

to be honest, ideal way would be to create the model cempletely newly

anyway, there are some wishes to fly this birdy also the CFS2 fans.
    I think doe to lowpoly model it would be pretty posible relating to the dropable Komet dolly it could be solved same like in CFS3, but maybe would be enough to make it simply, like FS2004 (FS9) allows - like a easy spoiler animation or something like that...
    will see.

another small news is I am in contact with a great 2D panel / gauges maker, with gaucho_59.
    so it seems our Komet could get a great looking gauges...

B.

I think you could say I'm "chomping at the bit". After talking with BorekS and gecko I'd love to see this one in CFS2. Going to try the air and cfg on BorekS early model and see how she handles. Wait that would be He as all German aircraft are male. Well either way I'm excited.

gaucho would be a great choice. Give him all the photos you can and he'll give you a masterpiece.

BorekS,

I think animateing the dolly with the spoiler key would work great. then just animate the skid with the gear. I believe that the old model works that way.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    Very interesting report/test. Shows what a excellent performing aircraft it is ,for a tailless design. Way ahead of it's time.Amazing!

Blog Entries
    All this talk of the Me-163 interested me enough to get me to reread my only good hard cover book on advanced WW2 aircraft.Really well detailed cutaway picture and plenty period photographs too. It's called World War II Fighting Jets by Jeffrey Ethell and Alfred Price IBSN 1-85310-406-x Covers all the players in including P-80,He-162,Arado Ar-234 and more. Thanks guys for all the reference material provided. Got tons of e-books, almost all aircraft, also. Those are next !!!!!

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Works for me..
    BRAVO!!
    Back into the Air..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Me 163 00001.jpg  

Looks like you forgot to install the effect package Owen.

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Looks like you forgot to install the effect package Owen.
    Yea not in that install.
    Just testing with and without in different installs.
    I like the red one, she is Too Cool..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails red 001.jpg  

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Yea the red one is fun..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails red 002.jpg   red 003.jpg   red 004.jpg  

hmm, a pinky suited pilot rides the red birdy?

btw, in the latest packages ("h" and "j) is the red skin too... the final version, not this old one
    from the package readme:

Aircraft add-on pack list:
    --------------------------
    * Me 163B-1a "Yellow 14"

Alternative skin sources:
    -------------------------
    * Me 163B-1a "191907"
    * Me 163B-1a "44065"
    * Me 163B-1a "V41"
    * Me 163B-1a "White 13"
    * Me 163B-1a "White 14"
    * Me 163B-1a "White 54"
    * Me 163B-1a "Yellow 26"

the only thing what you need to do is to rename the texture source. or you can make a new airplane skin slot.

Members who have read this thread: 2