FSX native Fokker D XXI RELEASED - Page 13
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 35678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: FSX native Fokker D XXI RELEASED

Already thought that

I like the white mice and the pointed shoes. I can't recall why I haven't chosen for it as the base pack repaint.
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

'OFF'

Meanwhile, the IL2

'ON'
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Quote Originally Posted by zsoltquack View Post
    'OFF'

Meanwhile, the IL2

'ON'
    Zsolt, is that CoD? If so, where are the addon planes to be found??

No CoD!

This is IL2 DBW 1.71

Zsolt
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Sorry Daan, but I kicked you out of your own aircraft.......................

Cheers,
    Huub

Don't like'm, he isn't that handsome right? Hehe...

That tie is fun isn't it? I got it from the photo of Guus Kiel.

I really like that black-orange-black on the prop!

message for Daan........

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks Huub, looks very fine! We're getting more accurate again

The patrol of the mice.........

Soon(ish) I will finish the story about Henk Overvest. The pilot of the "219".

Cheers,
    Huub

The Military Museum D-XXI replica......

All experts are convinced the Fokker D-XXI replica from the Military museum doesn't have the correct colours. The colours choosen by Daan are most likely more correct as they have been based on the correspondence between the technical bureau of the Aviation section from the Dutch air force and the paint supplier.
    Also the undercarriage of the replica is the wrong one. The legs are built like the Finnish aircraft had them. The Dutch version was longer and thinner. But to be honest , I personally think its look better with the more "beefy" Finnish legs.......

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub,

Yes, it's me again! Where can we find the "Mice-repaint"??

Before you ask, yes I did a search on "Mice"!!

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    Huub,

Johan
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post931812

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    Huub,

Johan
    Johan,

Daan has an update planned for the D-XXI in the future. Among other (minor) changes, this will make the model tack-pack compatible. I have offered Daan the repaints I showed so far for this update.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Johan,

Daan has an update planned for the D-XXI in the future. Among other (minor) changes, this will make the model tack-pack compatible. I have offered Daan the repaints I showed so far for this update.

Cheers,
    Huub
    I'm looking forward to!

Yes indeed, looking forward to this! Perfect companion for that beautiful Belgian Hurricane repaint of yours Huub!!

Cheers,

Johan

In my studies, I also noticed some areas in which our beloved FSX model is more accurate than the real-life replica. Sweet!

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Fokker D.21 TacPack Integration

Friends,

TacPack integration of the D.21 is on its way. It is currently being tested and optimised. There has to be done a trade-off though because of the following:

Visualising the rounds trajectory: the way to go is triggering *any* effect file by the TacPack trigger (so: simultaneously real firing and effect display, based on trigger input). The effect though, is only TRIGGERED by TacPack, so not guided. That means that the effect won't follow the trajectory. Which in turn means these effects may have no meaning or relevance at all! There aren't any variables in the TP SDK on trajectories either.

What I can do, on the other hand, is triggering a sound when firing, so you still get feedback whether the guns are operating or not while shooting in the air. Ground and AI impact should be visible. I also might add a smoke plume effect at the guns, but I wonder how strong this plume has been in reality. Imagine flying at 300 km/h, with a little smoke plume: would be hardly visible.

I'd like to hear any comments on this from you guys. Behind the scenes, we're working on it as well.

Hi Daan,

This wonderful aircraft was posted by D'Andre on AirDailyX around about a month ago, I just had to try it. I'm very glad I did as this aircraft is very fun to fly around with. I had it installed in Prepar3D v2.4 and v2.5, it looks outstanding. I cant wait for some of the repaints I've seen here being available. I've been flying the 1940's version and wanted to point out some issues I was observing with the aircraft. I know it's made for FSX but I wanted to pass on the info in case you wanted to future proof your outstanding efforts.

The only issues I have encountered so far are not major. The needle on the turn-slip indicator remains centred, but the ball does move. Leaning the mixture does eventually cause a audible decrease in engine RPM, but the manifold pressure does not show any change regardless of how much I lean the mixture. If the propeller is in low pitch, the RPM does not change either. I have only been able to lean by listening to the engine. The last point I'm not sure if it's occurring in FSX or not, but the range of the aircraft is very short. I've conducted 3 very long flights at various altitudes from 1,500 meters, 2,500 meters and 4,000 meters. In all cases the best range I was able to achieve was just over 300 miles. The last flight at 4,000 meters altitude I used all the fuel in the main tank and traveled 283 miles. According to the specifications I could find, I should be able to get around 578 miles. The aircraft is certainly falling short of that. Perhaps a FSX user could confirm if this a problem with it being used in Prepar3D v2.5 or not.

Thanks again for this great aircraft, I'm getting lots of use and enjoyment from it. A nice change from the usual fair of aircraft I use.

Cheers,
    Thad

Hi Thad,

Thanks for your kind comments, good to hear again someone is enjoying my creation

Anyway, I'll try to respond to the issues you mentioned:

- TSI; I need to review the code I made and used for this. It appeared to work fine in FSX though, so I thought it would be OK (btw, can you confirm you set the flight realism to the max?)
    - MP indicator: I used the standard FSX simulation variable for manifold pressure for this, so I can't give feedback on this. I might have a look in the P3D SDK.
    - RPM indicator: it should move, I believe it even does on my system. Again standard FSX var used for this gauge.
    - Range: I never tried out the range. The D.21 has a 80.5 gallons main tank, which is selected as 'Hoofdtank'. The auxiliary 11.9 gallons tank, 'Reserve', can also be selected. I'm sure there are some power and drag related issues on the performance, it's been a lot of tweaking since we don't have actual data on this (besides some engine data and a few reference speeds, that's it).

I want to note that 100% support for P3D is not feasible for me, since LM wants a huge (for me at least) amount of money for a license. But browsing through the P3D SDK (I believe it's free) might help for me.

Again, thanks for your input! I appreciate that very much

Daan

For the upcoming update V1.1: added new paints (by Huub), added TacPack functionality and updated the model. One of the most apparent model upates are the instrument lights dimmers at either side of the windscreen, though not functional. By the way, I might consider to change the texture for the thing, not really satisfied yet.

TacPack functionality is also added. I didn't include tracer effect, since the Dutch army didn't use them, but I added the gun sound effects. I did this by harnessing Doug's sound gauge, which works fine.
    To shoot, first one should pull out the 'Laden' and 'Zekeren' levers (image below), to unlock the guns. Triggering (AND round availability) triggers the gun and the sound effects.

Hi Daan,

Getting back to you on the anomaly's of your fine work.

I switched to the 1938 version of the Fokker, and now the TSI seems to be functioning, although I do have to make fairly high rates of turn for it to read a turn. I'm a real world commercial pilot and I have encountered these old gauges about twice in my experience. They are very sensitive to turn rates about the vertical axis in measuring yaw. A rate one turn of 3°/sec should deflect the needle about 18° (one full needle width) to the left/right of top center in the direction of the turn. Since there is no DG in this aircraft it's hard to test a timed turn to determine if the deflection is correct, so this may just be my misinterpretation of the rate of heading change to the bank angles I was using in relation to airspeed. I do have realism settings to maximum, I wouldn't have it any other way...

To be clear on my reference to the MP and RPM gauges, they do both work in Prepar3D. It was just their lack of indicating any changes when leaning the mixture. When leaning the mixture on the ground at full throttle and full RPM (prop full fine), the engine audibly begins to indicate a loss of RPM but both MP and RPM remain constant at maximum RPM and MP. Further leaning continues to cause the engine sound to indicate further loss of RPM for quite a bit until finally the RPM begins to finally show a drop, but now the engine is starved of fuel and nearly failing. I tested leaning until the RPM dropped by 100 at which point the MP was still maxed out. This is not possible. Assuming the propeller is full fine when leaning, the RPM should begin to drop the moment the MP begins to drop, the two should go hand in hand at the least. Even if I assume the prop governor is limited to automatically maintaining a maximum 2,600 RPM at high manifold pressures, as I lean, the MP should begin to drop until the governor can no longer maintain the 2,600 RPM limit because engine RPM and propeller RPM are now equal; the propeller can never turn faster than the engine.
    In cruise flight the test result is the same. I set MP to 90 kPa and RPM to 2,400. I began slowly leaning the mixture. Eventually I hear the engine indicating a drop of RPM, both MP and RPM maintain their 90 kPa and 2,400 respectively, this is where the problem is observed. As soon as the engine sound indicates a drop in RPM, the MP should also be reflecting this with a decrease in manifold pressure. Because the engine has a geared supercharger, there may be a slight delay. This would indicate to the pilot "peak lean" for maximum power. The RPM maintains its 2,400 because it is still being governed, this behaves as it should. As I continue to lean the mixture, the audible engine RPM continues to drop with no change to the MP, it maintains its indicated 90 kPa. Further leaning results in the the propeller RPM now beginning to drop, but still the MP indicates 90 kPa. This too is impossible. Proper behavior would be that leaning would cause the MP to start to drop from the indicated 90 kPa until the RPM is such that the governor is no longer able to maintain the 2,400 set RPM, however in reality you could never get this far because you would be doing serious damage to the engine and it would starve of fuel and quit producing power. Proper leaning method for this aircraft would be to lean until a drop of MP is first indicated and then enriched for peak MP, this would be "leaning for peak power". For "peak endurance" the mixture would be leaned such that the MP would peak and then drop and be decreased a specified amount as per the operations handbook for the aircraft, which we do not have so we would not know. It's only used when maximum fuel economy is the issue. Unfortunately this method can not be used because the manifold pressure remains constant regardless of fuel mixture settings. It only responds to throttle movement. Since there was no EGT gauge available with this aircraft, proper leaning is near impossible without proper MP indications. The best I can muster is using the first audible change in RPM. I am aware that this may be beyond the scope of what you are creating, but since other items in the aircraft behave more correctly than some payware aircraft I thought I would pass on the info as this issue could re-appear in other creations that you have in mind.

I also forgot to mention, the aircraft shakes when the aircraft is sitting on the ground without the engine running. I thought this was a hard coded effect and didn't pay much mind to it, but on one occasion after shutting down the engine, the shaking stopped. Going into the "save" menu and returning back to the flight, the aircraft was shaking again. This one time occurrence had me believing this may not be normal intended behavior.

I hope this doesn't come across as nit picking, because I'm not. Development of an aircraft should for the most part be fun! I've taken your creation from Washington D.C. to the far northern portions of Quebec as I navigate this aircraft over the North Atlantic to cross Greenland and onward to its home in the Netherlands. So far about 9 hours of flying and I have been managing just fine. The low and slow in this vintage aircraft has been a real blast.

On a side note, you mentioned that L.M. wanted a huge amount of money from you for a license. I'm not sure I understand, unless something has changed in the last year or so.
    FWIW, I have a Prepar3D Professional Developers license, and it costs me $9.95 US/month. It is not required to make creations for Prepar3D, it just gives users the ability to install Prepar3D Professional on two computers with one license and get more priority support on the Prepar3D forums. Basically it gives users closer/priority contact with the L.M. devs on the L.M. support forums, nothing more. The SDK for Prepar3D is free and available to anyone regardless of which version of Prepar3D they are using, excluding Professional Plus. There is no additional costs for making content for Prepar3D than there is for FSX. All versions of Prepar3D are identical except for the Professional Plus version. It has some additional features that allow for weapons functionality. I'm not aware of any developers in the traditional flight simulation community making products with Professional Plus in mind, it appears to be mostly used by business and corporate entities, hence its massive price tag. There are individuals making content for Prepar3D with nothing more than the $59.95 Academic license. The SDK is what is used to make the content, not the version of Prepar3D you are using, it's irrelevant. In the past I was in direct contact with one of the L.M. devs and was advised the only additional costs involved in developing for Prepar3D was if one wanted direct support from L.M. on development issues. If questions from any developers are posted in the Prepar3D support forum there are no more charges than one would get from the FS Developers Forum's. I just felt it was important to include this info so that readers of this thread don't get the impression that development for P3D requires some special license that costs the user or developer any additional costs, this is just not the case. If you wish to create a version of your Fokker D.XXI using the Prepar3D SDK and you don't have the Prepar3D client software, let me know by PM and I will happily test it for you. I would hate for the Prepa3D users to miss out on your talented efforts!

Cheers, and thanks again for sharing your great efforts.
    Thad

Hi Thad,

Thanks for your complete reply, I send you PM.

Regards, Daan

3D-printing and FS

Hi everybody,
    One part of the D.21 cockpit is a fuseholder. These fuseholders were made by the French firm Ragonot, but no fuseholder is know to exist today. As an experiment, I revised and refined the 3D-model of the fuseholder, in order to print it. This is what the mesh looks like, I sent these 3 separate objects to Shapeways (www.shapeways.com).
    And this is the resulting thing. Though the surface isn't perfect due to the plastic/printing structure, it is very accurate and exactly what I've been modelling. Fun to have it in your hands!
    Regards, Daan

Nicely done Daan, I think somebody in the North of the Netherlands will be very pleased!

Cheers,
    Huub

Hi there,

I am releasing the pre-release beta of the TacPacked V2.00 tonight to a narrow, selected team of betatesters. I expect not much problems, just a quick check if everything is in order.

Regards, Daan

Members who have read this thread: 18