FSX native Fokker D XXI RELEASED - Page 3
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: FSX native Fokker D XXI RELEASED

That's the way it looks from the outside. Nice uh?

The island of Ameland starts to shape in my windscreen. And I can look through the Goertz gunsight.

I still like the NL2000 scenery a lot. The 213 over Ameland, but not yet HuBoBe. HuBoBe means Huisje Boompje Beestje, literally House Tree Animal. It was an extreme low-altitude flight which Dutch pilots did to get rid of the Messerschmidts in May 1940.

Tower EHAL got met in sight. This model displayed is LOD100. I've got LODs 400, 100 and 5, which work perfectly.

Landing configuration with braking flaps! Speed is correct now and one can see the open slider windows. It's quite hot today!

Touchdown with a nice threepoint landing!

After taxiing back to parking, I open the left canopy and shut down the engine.

That's it for today! Thanks for watching!

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Really looking forward to this beauty!

Thanks!

Since beta testing progress is allright now, I decided to start working on the early D.21 version, like it was delivered to the Army. My apologies for having no screenshots yet, they will follow soon.

More info on differences can be found at my blog.

Greetz
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

I've got a picture for you now. It is showing the differences with respect to the war version. In this shot, one can see the specular and bump map combining nicely.

The early version's pilot has also been adapted: he now wears a white flying cap and a pair of glasses. This is done after photographs of early colors D.21s having white-capped pilots in the cockpit.

And I made a flight from the airfield of Teuge. Just taking off, and playing HuBoBe with the cows.

A typical Dutch view in my opinion: the tricolor, a Fokker and some flat green scenery.

Passing the airfield of Teuge. Still like the NL2000 scenery!

Looks great and somehow this pilot looks quite familiar Perhaps the weathering should be reduced a bit as the aircraft is much newer here than in the "orange markings" version. (just a thought).

And NL2000 is indeed beautiful scenery and certainly the best value for money (free!)

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks Huub! Again, the NL2000 scenery takes some attention. I've done quite a few little jobs and improvements recently, but the latest is... the custom environment map!

There you go!

And close-up to the compass

This map is IMHO better than the default environment map and it reflects much more accurate the Dutch scenery. Mind, I overdrive reflection settings for this purpose only now.

Regards!

Looks good and I really like the compass which actually works like the real thing did.

Cheers,
    Huub

Hi all,

Another beta has been sent to my testers. Since I had a bit of time, I started working on the Danish license built version. I can't really show pictures, but the main differences are:

- Different gunsight
    - No standard landing lights
    - No weapons
    - Tiplights moved
    - Large landing light right
    - Landing gear strut protection cover removed (was also in real, because snow was gathering there)
    - No radio antenna
    - the inside of course has even more differences!

Until now, the external model is done mostly and the VC is being worked on.

Did a bit of painting tonight and it resulted in this. This has to be the J-50, but is still in early stage of painting.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Nice work once again Daan!

That undercarriage looks weird though..
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Thanks Ferry! Well, the undercarriage is really what it should look. The Danish removed the middle part of the covering, because of snow was gathering there. I must be honest that I've always wondered why they didn't remove the wheel cover, most likely it would gather the most snow. But well, this is historically correct

I hope the beta is fun and satisfactory?

I know it is correct Daan, but it just looks weird!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1225534866_fs.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	11702

I love the beta and I hope to fly it more during my upcoming holiday in September.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

The betas are great Daan About the Danish version... as page 138 from Peter de Jong's book shows, they didn't remove covering on all aircraft.
    And I fully agree with Ferry, the "skinny" legs are historically correct, but definitely do look odd.

Cheers,
    Huub

Didn't the Finnish versions have the same snow problem?

The Danish D-XXI looked really nice in their silver colour scheme btw; nudge nudge, wink wink..

Well, I need to get a full overview of all Danish versions. Also about armament I guess...

I don't know Ferry, I didn't read about it and there are no photographs of Fokker's with this. It always confused me a bit that the Finnish didn't seem to have this problem, while the Danish had. Denmark=sometimes snow, Finland=a lot lot lot of snow

??? Anyway, photographs should tell the truth I guess...

Yeah, I'm thinking about the alu painted Danish planes too, but that model version is more like the Finnish one, so will be done later on I think. FD are also different since the Dutch made Danish planes had an earlier Mercury. This Danish version I'm working on in fact is the late one.
    But I will get some troubles with metal texturing. Anyway, it was painted in alu colors, so not bare, but yet...

The pilot in this version also has different clothing: Browny boots, blue trousers, dark leather jacket and leather flying cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutcheeseblend View Post
    It always confused me a bit that the Finnish didn't seem to have this problem, while the Danish had. Denmark=sometimes snow, Finland=a lot lot lot of snow
    Just a wild guess, but having lived in Finland, it is quite a bit colder in Winter than Denmark thus the snow is fluffier vs Denmark where it is warmer/wetter and compacts much more.
    Matt

Thanks for the input!

These colors seem to be better, still a bit of work left on the Danish externals.

More pics to be found on my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutcheeseblend View Post
    Well, I need to get a full overview of all Danish versions. Also about armament I guess...

I don't know Ferry, I didn't read about it and there are no photographs of Fokker's with this. It always confused me a bit that the Finnish didn't seem to have this problem, while the Danish had. Denmark=sometimes snow, Finland=a lot lot lot of snow

??? Anyway, photographs should tell the truth I guess...

Yeah, I'm thinking about the alu painted Danish planes too, but that model version is more like the Finnish one, so will be done later on I think. FD are also different since the Dutch made Danish planes had an earlier Mercury. This Danish version I'm working on in fact is the late one.
    But I will get some troubles with metal texturing. Anyway, it was painted in alu colors, so not bare, but yet...

The pilot in this version also has different clothing: Browny boots, blue trousers, dark leather jacket and leather flying cap.
    I have a feeling that the Danish Fokkers were fitted with a pair of Masden guns in underwing pods, maybe 20/23MM but I'll need to look that one up!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

The work with fitting the Madsen 20 mm guns (in underwing pods) was still going on when it was halted by the Nazi occupation.

Whether or not the pods made it onto J-50, your guess is really as good as any I think.
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I have a feeling that the Danish Fokkers were fitted with a pair of Masden guns in underwing pods, maybe 20/23MM but I'll need to look that one up!
    That's nearly correct The original plan was to fit all the Danish D-21 aircraft with 23mm Masden gun. However the plans were changed and the nearly identical 20mm version was fitted to the J-42. As there were severe problems producing these gun, not aircraft all were fitted with these Masden guns (if any).

Cheers,
    Huub

edit: Penz was faster than me!

Yes, for what I understood were the Madsen guns only used on J-42, the particular airplane which is photographed very well by the way. I'm planning something like this: now working on the late Danish version (no guns, camo scheme, Mercury 8), thereafter make a model for the Dutch built Danish planes. These looked more like the Finnish and had an older Mercury, and were painted alu. That model will have a Madsen pod I think...

Did some research for a moment:

Status April 9 1940 (according to mr. Peter de Jong: 978-90-8616-099-0) when Germany attacked Danish airfields

J-41 and J-42
    Dutch built, based at Kløvermarken, engine Mercury VI

J-43 - J-49
    2. Eskadrille at Værløse, but J-46 had no fuel tank and J-48 no tailwheel. Some had only nose-armament, some even nothing.

J-50 and J-51
    Also delivered (I better won't apply weathering to J-50 )

J-52
    Had not even made it's first flight

Because J-50 flew only 15 minutes, there is hardly weathering on the texture. That made the Danish color scheme very light, so Huub advised me new colors, making the thing darker, but still having the same look. Thanks Huub, it looks better now! Mind that I still have some work to do on this colors, applying a bit of toning and noise.

Scenery is Grenaa from Vidan Design and I made a wonderful flight this evening with the scenery, and environment textures from Flight Environment X.

Members who have read this thread: 18