FSX native Fokker D XXI RELEASED
Page 1 of 16 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: FSX native Fokker D XXI RELEASED

FSX native Fokker D XXI RELEASED

Personally I had never expected to see this one in FSX. But sometimes unexpected things happen A student Aeronautical Engineering without any experience started this project and so far he has been able to answer all challenges which he came across.

All pictures are still work in progress and although the model perhaps looks finished, there is still a lot to do.

The 213 over Vlieland

The fully clickable VC with 3D gauges. The compass is really a work of art.

The fact that the pilot is wearing a steel helmet is authentic.

Cheers,
    Huub

And some more

The beautiful detailed Bristol Mercury VIII

With the early markings

Oh my!!

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Very nice indeed!

It's really cool to see these "rare" types converted to FX native. !
    And that model looks beautiful !

If this is the model I think it is; the really unique thing is it is developed in Blender, a free 3D program that beats Gmax all to heck and is easier to use. Been watching this model hatch over at FSDeveloper for some time, now.

Best, Paul

The success of this (and any other Blender project) depends on the development of a successful FSX compiler. It appears this is now within reach with a Blender toolset which is a major subject at FSDeveloper.

Paul, it is the model you have been watching! And yes it has been made with blender.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by PutPut View Post
    If this is the model I think it is; the really unique thing is it is developed in Blender, a free 3D program that beats Gmax all to heck and is easier to use. Been watching this model hatch over at FSDeveloper for some time, now.

Best, Paul

The success of this (and any other Blender project) depends on the development of a successful FSX compiler. It appears this is now within reach with a Blender toolset which is a major subject at FSDeveloper.

Charter Member 2011
    been watching it over at FSdev as well, really hope it gets finished
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Great news! All power to the developer
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by PutPut View Post

Best, Paul

Very curious about this, as it could open up addon development to a wider audience depending on to what extent it is "easier to use". I am unfamiliar with Blender (beyond having heard of it in 3d modelling circles), but would be interested in hearing more regarding this FSX compiler and and comparative reports on ease of use between it and Gmax, understanding that there's still a learning curve.

Outstanding work. Thanks for the previews.

Hi there and thanks for those nice and friendly replies!

All I can say it is a challenging project, but also very nice to do. Be mentioned, without the help of Huub, it wouldn't have been possible to achieve the accuracy I have achieved now.

Cheers!

Dutcheeseblend

Good news!

Hope there will be some Finnish paint too ...

and maybe one model with skies like this: http://users.kymp.net/mode0522/plane...er%20d-21.html ?

The D-XXI played main part as fighter in our Winter War 1939-40. It took part into the Continuation War (1941-44) too, but not as first class fighter anymore.

Pekka

Outstanding and a great tribute to one of the unknown fighters of WW2.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

excellent news!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Pekka,

There were quite some differences between the Finnish (Mercury powered) D-XXI and the Dutch one. One of the most visual differences are the legs of the undercarriage. The Dutch D-XXI had thin legs to reduce drag, while the Finnish had a much heavier undercarriage to enable them to use skies.

However the main differences can be found in the cockpit. It took quite some efforts to reconstruct an accurate Dutch cockpit. The is a not so accurate replica in the Dutch Military Aviation Museum and especially the cockpit area contains a lot of errors and "alternative" instruments. There is an authentic, but very incomplete wreck in the Crash museum and there finally are a few pictures, which however do not give a complete overview (digital cameras did not exist in those days).
    As it will be impossible to reconstruct an authentic Finnish cockpit, I don't think there will ever be a Finnish version.

The FR-110 in the "Keski-Suomen ilmailumuseo" could posibly provide the needed information, but I really don't know how accurate and complete the cockpit of this Fokker is. But perhaps you are willing to find out?

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks Huub for stating this!

I can tell that changing the external model to a Finnish outlook is a job which is possible. Changing the cockpit though would be a very difficult job (anyway if the FR110 doesn't have an accurate cockpit).

First things first. I'm not yet finished with the Dutch cockpit (a few minor details still left, overall layout is definitive), so I can't promise things!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTK View Post
    Very curious about this, as it could open up addon development to a wider audience depending on to what extent it is "easier to use". I am unfamiliar with Blender (beyond having heard of it in 3d modelling circles), but would be interested in hearing more regarding this FSX compiler and and comparative reports on ease of use between it and Gmax, understanding that there's still a learning curve.
    Hi there!

Blender was my choice since I've been working with it for some years and felt at least a bit comfortable with it. A thing what I'm not able to say about Gmax. When the project started in April 2013, no means was there to get a Blender model into FSX. In fact, I had to convert it via ModelConverterX in some way to Gmax, do some animating and so on . Until DirectX export from Blender (incl animations) became possible (fall 2013). Arno Gerretsen was so kind to add features to MCX that could parse a visibility tag and mouse rectangle depending on the name of the model part in Blender. Animations could be tagged shortly afterwards.
    November/December 2013. My fellow capt_x from FSDeveloper started to write a toolset for Blender that in fact replicated the Aces toolset for (G)max . It eventually could tag an animation, add attachpoints, create FSX materials and properties and export to .X (and further to .mdl). The link below is the Blender section of FSDeveloper:
    http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/blender.136/

Information about the toolset can be found: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thr...oolset.428090/

It is clear that the names of both Arno Gerretsen and Felix Schneider (capt_x) must be mentioned in this case!

Regards,

Dutchie

this news is like a miracle to me... Never expected this to ever happen.

Great work, especially with the scarce accurate visual information on aircraft details!!! Looking forward to this development!!!

Regards
    Alex
    Dont grow up! ... It´s a trap!

Thanks for the HU Hubb!

And thanks to Dutchie for taking on the project.

Fantastic job, and like everyone else, am looking forward to it!

Cheers

Paul

and perhaps a Danish version?

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

There are actually more pictures and drawings available from the cockpit from a Danish D-XXI. And the D-XXI in the Dutch Military Aviation Museum has a few details from the Danish version.

But like Dutcheeseblend already said, its perhaps better to finish the Dutch version first before making plans for the next model. Personally I would prefer an early version Dutch version without aiming device and radio mast first (Aren't we all a bit greedy )

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Pekka,

There were quite some differences between the Finnish (Mercury powered) D-XXI and the Dutch one. One of the most visual differences are the legs of the undercarriage. The Dutch D-XXI had thin legs to reduce drag, while the Finnish had a much heavier undercarriage to enable them to use skies.
    Huub
    Thanks for the info Huub. Me personally the little? differencies between Duch and Finnish models won't bother. At last there will be a Fokker D-XXI, and that's the main thing. Maybe later on the Finnish Mercury or Twin Wasp model too?

Actually I visited the Keski-Suomen Ilmailumuseo a couple of years ago and took some pictures. Unfortunatelly not from all cockpits (including Fokker). For that one needs a permission I think. Now next time I go there I'll ask it of course (and for other airplains too). When I visited the museum there was some other interestings aircrafts too like Brewster BW-372. It was found on one lake's bottom in Russia a little more than ten years ago and I think it is the only one Brewster remaining model F2A 239? I am recalling that the Netherlands used those too - thought not the same model.

Pekka

Creating a Wasp will be a far more extensive job as one might imagine

Below is one of my nicest shots, showing the bump maps to good effect. The model is equipped with bump and spec maps.

Charter Member 2011
    not that it matters really, but finish the current one, THEN do the variants.

One thing i've just noticed which is bugging me, why did they put the hole in the rudder?? was it so it could be locked in place or was is a towing point??
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Members who have read this thread: 18