The new version of Dino's F-35 (2.40)

Thread: The new version of Dino's F-35 (2.40)

The new version of Dino's F-35 (2.40)

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Is this version compatible with P3D v2.2? I mean, Dino had the F-35 in that sim as one of the default planes. Is it OK if it is overwritten with this new version?

The "full" F-35 package is compatible with P3Dv2.2, and actually is a newer version.
    The only issue is that Tacpack functions will not work (well... for now at least!).
    You can install it no problem: the default F-35 will not be overwritten (folder structure is such that they can live side by side).

This os a picture of the three models in P3Dv2.2...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image78.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	7238

You are welcome.

By the way there are two features I had no chance to test:
    1) the new in flight refuel code (that should provide a realistic refuel rate) - it does not seem to work on the new Tomcat (I may want to backtrack to the old code if it is confirmed not to work).
    2) IFF "Friend" cue should appear if you are about to shoot a missile to a friendly target.

Dino,

good news, the new in flight refuel code for F-35 works * ....

.... but very, very, very slowly . I spent 4 minutes connected after the tanker and my fuel in 2 tanks (from 10?) jumps from 120... 124 (lb?) so for all tanks I perhaps must fly 1h : ]. It will be possible to increase it x4 or more ?

As I know, the light fighter (like F-16) needs near 5 minutes to fill all tanks, B-52 : 30 min. P
    erformance of fuel flow in Tankers - normal 1300-1800 l/min, max is 5600 l/min.

* maybe for F-14 is ok too but even more slowly?

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

@Yoyo,

thanks for reporting.

In truth I set the F-35 in flight refuel rate to be faster than the F-14.

The F-14 rate is strictly set to simulate a very conservative Probe & Drogue rate (1500 to 1800 pounds per minute... it may take up to 14 minutes to fully refuel the aicraft).

The F-35 is set as an average between the Probe and Drogue and Flying Boom rates (should be in the area of 3000 pounds per minute)... this is because the F-35A has a receptacle, and the -B and -C have probes, and they all share the same code (well...I have been a little lazy on this as my code is unique for all the variants but can tell which version you are Flying).
    Please confirm that the F-14 works or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cattaneo View Post
    @Yoyo,

thanks for reporting.

In truth I set the F-35 in flight refuel rate to be faster than the F-14.

The F-14 rate is strictly set to simulate a very conservative Probe & Drogue rate (1500 to 1800 pounds per minute... it may take up to 14 minutes to fully refuel the aicraft).

The F-35 is set as an average between the Probe and Drogue and Flying Boom rates (should be in the area of 3000 pounds per minute)... this is because the F-35A has a receptacle, and the -B and -C have probes, and they all share the same code (well...I have been a little lazy on this as my code is unique for all the variants but can tell which version you are Flying).
    Please confirm that the F-14 works or not...
    1 Liter its a near 2,2 Pounds, I wrote 1800 l (liters) so near 4000 (lb) pounds on minute. Im correct? : ) Maybe here its a problem, too low.
    For me for F-35 5 minutes is ok to fill all internal tanks.

In hindsight... I think I undestand where the issue is.
    There is a fault in my code so that the fuel flow rate is a total for all the fuel tanks, which are then refilled simultaneously... so if you are almost empty the refuel should work as intended... on the other hand, if you are almost full, the refuel rate can be very slow...

Will check when I will be back home tonight.

I checked F-16 data, yep, internal tanks has near 3200 kg = 7054 pounds, so if we take 5 minutes its near 1500 lb per minute. So data are correct, not liters but lb :- ) .
    Just in sim It's A Long Way to Tipperary .

Here some data too in the end: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_refueling /

As I said, I believe it is not a problem of the data (I rest assured I did my homework both even on wikipedia ;-)!) but the fact that my code assumes that all the fuel tanks are empty when you start refueling.
    So when all the tanks are empty the refuel rate is correct. If some tanks are filled, the refuel rate may be way too low.

I would appreciate if you could check that the Tomcat works (even if slowly) or not.

Thanks Dino, I'll go install this in P3D. This is just great!

From Dino's FB:

"NOTAM:
    In the recent upgrades of the F-14D and F-35, there is an identified bug in the in-flight refuel with Tacpack. Basically the total refuel rate is dependent on "how empty" you are... if you are almost out of fuel, it should be close to the real deal, but the more fuel you have on board, the slower it is.
    It is an easy fix - but with low priority. I may release a further upgrade soon. Non-Tacpack users can ignore it."

Dino never sleeps .

"The decision to remove a HUD from the cockpit of the real F-35 was a bold one...and the development if the HMD was difficult, it is shaping up to be a very interesting piece of hardware. I'll try to find some time in February to update the virtual F-35 with the latest publicly available information..."

Nice

Actually I should sleep more!
    Anyway, in the past few months we had a better look at some parts of the F-35 avionics... some of its functions are way beyond what I could implement (of what could be done) in FSX. But some other points could be improved with limited effort.
    The plan for now is to prioritize the MB.326 release (hopefully this weekend!!!) and then update the whole fleet.

By the way... well, chance is that sooner or later I will depart from FSX and I will move to P3DV2.
    For one, P3Dv2 has native functions that could allow a proper simulation of functions like the F-35 radar, the DAS and EOTS. I will probably never have the time to do them... but still...

It looks like TacPack for P3D will be with 2.5 upgrade or near the same time (not update, pity, I will must reinstall whole P3D+addons ).

Did You have plan to do all functions F-35s TacPack from FSX in P3D too ?

Well, we all know that Tacpack is coming to P3DV2.
    I do not know how (and if) they managed to implement functions like HMD and FLIR in DX11... but apart from "special" feature like those two, afaik, the F-35 should work as is.
    That means, once TP is installed into P3DV2, the F-35 weapons system should work - possible exception being correct visualization of the P3Dv2.

My statement about P3Dv2 is that it will be theoretically possible to implement functions like EOTS, DAS and ASR within the P3Dv2 SDK.
    It would take months for me to implement these features - and it is highly unlikely that I will ever be able to do that.

Some other features recently exposed (like the presentation of PHM page and of the ground collision avoidance warning) could be implemented soon.

Also, with a significant investment of time and money, it should be possible to implement a significant visual improvement...but that is probably out of question (no way to do that in the freeware realm...).

We'll see. Top priority is the release of the MB.326.

... and maybe something like this: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...017#post933017 , A-G radar? Just idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cattaneo View Post
    Well, we all know that Tacpack is coming to P3DV2.
    I do not know how (and if) they managed to implement functions like HMD and FLIR in DX11... but apart from "special" feature like those two, afaik, the F-35 should work as is.
    That means, once TP is installed into P3DV2, the F-35 weapons system should work - possible exception being correct visualization of the P3Dv2.

My statement about P3Dv2 is that it will be theoretically possible to implement functions like EOTS, DAS and ASR within the P3Dv2 SDK.
    It would take months for me to implement these features - and it is highly unlikely that I will ever be able to do that.

Some other features recently exposed (like the presentation of PHM page and of the ground collision avoidance warning) could be implemented soon.

Also, with a significant investment of time and money, it should be possible to implement a significant visual improvement...but that is probably out of question (no way to do that in the freeware realm...).

We'll see. Top priority is the release of the MB.326.
    I don't know if VRS intends to make it easier for devs to do it but for those who have any C++ skills, its vastly easier in P3D to do the FLIR/HMD as they have opened up the camera rendering to texture and camera read/write/create system in the P3D PDK. I have yet to make use of it but at least there is no having to dig deep in order to get it right like in FSX DX9/10.
    -JB

Wow, Dino, I can't wait to try that HMD with my Oculus Rift DK2 in P3Dv2!

A couple of clarifications,

- yes the A/G radar is definitely doable, as it is one of the new features introduced by P3Dv2... again, problem is finding the time. And that would not be FSX compatible, and would require the build of separate models and codes.

- I have already experimented camera-to-texture features in P3Dv2... I have yet to find a way to control camera orientation through XML, which is the only way I can program gauges. Same as above: the model will loose its FSX compatibility.

- The video posted by Yoyo is a demo of the REAL thing. No way you can do all of that either in FSX / P3D - in particular, no way I can do that. Way too advanced / complex.

- The flood of high-res pictures of the Lightning made me want to redo all the textures of the external model... I have already started doing that, but it will take months to complete. It is looking good so far.

Long story short: there are good opportunities to improve the F-35. I do not know when I will find the time.

Regards

Dino

A ridiculous amount of high res photos here:

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/f35-highlights.html
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Members who have read this thread: 37