Jump Drives

Thread: Jump Drives

Jump Drives

This may be the wrong forum for this but ..............
    About 2 weeks ago I bought 2- 8 gig jump drives. I plugged one in the front slot and was immediately asked if I wanted to use that drive as "Ready Boost", I choose yes and was amazed that it smoothed things out. I have since moved it to a rear slot and it still amazes me.
    FSX is smoother too with no lags, or hesitations or jumpy pans. Everything is just smoother.
    I may be wrong but I think it uses that drive to place swap files and it's faster than the hard drive is/was.
    I think I paid all of $6.00 each for them but I would try for maybe 16 or 32 gig drives next month.
    Try it, It just may be a benefit to you.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

From Wikipedia

"In computing, ReadyBoost is a disk caching software component of Windows Vista and later Microsoft operating systems. It allows any compatible mass storage device to be used as a temporary hard-drive memory cache for the purpose of increasing access speed to the hard drive. Potentially compatible ReadyBoost devices include USB flash drives, flash memory, Solid-state drives and SD cards. There is a limitation of 32 GB per cache file."

Here is the link to the Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

I'm going to try it with one of my flash drives today!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Is "Ready Boost" something that Windows (in my case, Windows 7 64 bit) automatically does, when a flash drive is inserted? Must not be, because my system has never done this. Need to configure manually? Or is it triggered automatically by certain flash drives? NC

Chief, Mine was automatically seen and then it asked me that question. "Ready Boost" is standard in Vista, Win 7 and Win 8. Try to use a fairly fast Jump Drive or SSD.
    Try it .............. you may be very surprised as I was.
    It can be activated by opening My computer, locating the Jump Drive and right clicking on on it and browse through the properties. I did this later after I moved it to a rear USB slot.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Chief, Mine was automatically seen and then it asked me that question. "Ready Boost" is standard in Vista, Win 7 and Win 8. Try to use a fairly fast Jump Drive or SSD.
    Try it .............. you may be very surprised as I was.
    It can be activated by opening My computer, locating the Jump Drive and right clicking on on it and browse through the properties. I did this later after I moved it to a rear USB slot.
    Thanks Joe. I will try that. I am wondering though, if I would even see any difference, since I am running 16gb of RAM? NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Thanks Joe. I will try that. I am wondering though, if I would even see any difference, since I am running 16gb of RAM? NC
    It doesn't matter the amount of ram ...Windows will always 'want' a paging file - something Readyboost can help.

Just tried this today and it really helped...nearly eliminated those occasional hiccups. Then I fired up P3D and went from a stuttering mess to a smooth flight. Definite improvement on my rig.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Too fast!

I got all excited when I saw this thread. I dusted off an empty 8GB SDHC card, plugged it in, asked Windows 8 64 to use it for Ready Boost.

Windows' answer: Sorry, you can't use this Flash Drive for Ready Boost 'cuz your machine is already so fast that it'd make no difference".

OK, it's true that on my 3.4 GHz i7 4770 machine, FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane 10 are all running smoothly from a 256GB SSD.

Ah, well.

Finally got around to trying this tip.... and got the following message:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boost.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	7249

So I guess I don't need it! NC

If you are using a SSD drive or a Flash card as well as a Jump Drive, you wont gain anything.
    Go to Help and Support of your system and search "Ready Boost" and you will find out about it.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Great find,Joe----thank you very much.
    Bought a 16GB USB Stick today and could set it up for ReadyBoost.
    I would like to suggest that you add it above in the Sub Forums under FSX Tweaks,so that we don`t loose it.
    Mike

ReadyBoost is for PCs with low RAM memory. PCs with 1 or 2 Gb (maybe 4gb) of RAM show more performance with Ready Boost but for high performance PC....its not necessary.

If any have an old netbook or old laptop/desktop with low RAM....plug a flash memory/SD card now! Its a good inversion.

If your system (like my own) is too accurate (efficient) and doesn't use "Ready Boost", you can make the "Ready Boost" job by yourself.
    The goal is to relocate the Windows cache in a USB device.
    My system use Windows 7/64, I7 2600K, 8 Gb RAM, SSD drive (C) and USB 3.0 key 16 Gb (empty & plugged in USB 3.0 port).
    Using the belower procedure, I have better smoothness and frame rate during "heavy situations".

Note : My FSX is a french language one, some words are maybe not well translated (symbol "*" in the procedure).

1. "Start" menu ;

2. "Computer"* ;

3. Select the target USB key and right click ;

4. Click "Properties" ;

Name:	577320SS001.jpg 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	7349

5. In the "Properties" window, open the "Hardware"* tab ;

6. Select the target USB key ;

7. Click on "Properties" ;

Name:	437566SS002.png 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	7350

8. In the new window, open the "Policies"* tab ;

9. In the "removal policy"* choose "Best Performance"* ;

10. Close different windows by clicking "OK".

Name:	491187SS003.png 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	7351

That's all !

Read the choice advice in the last window.
    Last edited by Fulbert; April 26th, 2014 at 06:30.

Thats true. I have 8 gigs but it runs great with "Ready Boost". It's a lot smoother with it, it may not be faster but it's smoother.
    I did post this up on the FSX Tweaks and Mr. Yo-Yo came in and posted and now I'm getting warnings about Malicious sites and cookies. Watch your self. I wanted to delete the thread but I can't.
    I have reported Mr Yo-Yo.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Charter Member 2015
    On my windows 7 64 system. I run windows off a ssd and when I go to check for ready boost it says not needed.....

David

Thats right, David. If you are running a SSD or a Flash mem card you don't need it, you already have it.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Members who have read this thread: 101