Bad memory,,,the puters not mine.

Thread: Bad memory,,,the puters not mine.

Bad memory,,,the puters not mine.

ok..how do i tell if my memory module have gone bad?..or do they?..thing is..i can surf the net ect all i want...but i cant run ANY games i might have on this puter without a memory issue..allways says memory module cant be sourced ,have they gone bad?..come loose in the case?..the pc has been moved around alot lately...

Dave, only way to be sure is shut er' down and pull and then reseat the memory sticks. Make sure any other wires, power cables, etc haven't also been loosened during the multiple moves. Memory sticks can go bad (fried due to electrical surges and such) but if the PC is fairly new that's not likely.

If, after re-seating the modules, the issue persists, I would take all out but one. Re-test. If no issue found, add second one and re-test again, and so on.

That way you will find the failing module.

Good luck.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

You can download a bootable memory tester which will normally show bad memory. Dependant on how much RAM you have depends on how long it takes, for instance my 16gb tested at 1 hour over the weekend.

If you have windows 7 there is a memory test application in the system. Just type Memory and run the Windows Memory Diagnostic software...

Parted Magic which you downloaded a few weeks ago has Memtest86+ on it.

Simply boot up to the selection menu where you have to option to choose 32 or 64 bit system. Scroll down the list to Extras menu. You will see option B is memtest86+.

Here is something to watch out for. My old Pentium 4 PC when it died suffered apparent memory problems. When I ran memtest86+ it showed errors in the memory. It had two sticks so I removed one and the other tested good. I removed the one and tested the other and it tested good. I placed them both back in and they tested bad. I tested each slot individually and both sticks alone in either slot tested good. However it never ran again the mother board had developed a problem. I could not find any blown caps or any other "looks like it failed" components so I scrapped it.

Testing memory takes a long time and the test does not have an end unless you have errors. It will cycle over and over until you feel it has tested enough and stop it.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

ok,thank you everyone...looks like i have to just do some work....gosh..been years since i worked...lol....ofcourse someone willing to lone me $1500.00 up front,and accept controlled payments...id be a happy camper...LOL..

Members who have read this thread: 50