F1 2014: The Chinese GP.

Thread: F1 2014: The Chinese GP.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

F1 2014: The Chinese GP.

Hamilton on a roll in a wet qualifying session today..

Pos No Driver Team Q1 Q2 Q3 Laps
    1 44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:55.516 1:54.029 1:53.860 21
    2 3 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:56.641 1:55.302 1:54.455 23
    3 1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull Racing-Renault 1:55.926 1:54.499 1:54.960 23
    4 6 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:56.058 1:55.294 1:55.143 22
    5 14 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:56.961 1:55.765 1:55.637 21
    6 19 Felipe Massa Williams-Mercedes 1:56.850 1:56.757 1:56.147 24
    7 77 Valtteri Bottas Williams-Mercedes 1:56.501 1:56.253 1:56.282 24
    8 27 Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 1:55.913 1:56.847 1:56.366 23
    9 25 Jean-Eric Vergne STR-Renault 1:57.477 1:56.584 1:56.773 23
    10 8 Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1:58.411 1:56.407 1:57.079 22
    11 7 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 1:58.279 1:56.860 17
    12 22 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:57.783 1:56.963 17
    13 26 Daniil Kvyat STR-Renault 1:57.261 1:57.289 18
    14 99 Adrian Sutil Sauber-Ferrari 1:58.138 1:57.393 17
    15 20 Kevin Magnussen McLaren-Mercedes 1:57.369 1:57.675 17
    16 11 Sergio Perez Force India-Mercedes 1:58.362 1:58.264 17
    17 21 Esteban Gutierrez Sauber-Ferrari 1:58.988 10
    18 10 Kamui Kobayashi Caterham-Renault 1:59.260 10
    19 17 Jules Bianchi Marussia-Ferrari 1:59.326 10
    20 9 Marcus Ericsson Caterham-Renault 2:00.646 10
    21 4 Max Chilton Marussia-Ferrari 2:00.865 10
    DNQ 13 Pastor Maldonado Lotus-Renault No time 0
    Q1 107% Time 2:03.602
    Note - Maldonado failed to make 107% requirement, so races at stewards' discretion. Drops 5 grid places as penalty for causing collision at previous round.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Icon2

Well, I watched the race until 0400...flag to flag....
    Great to see Daniel really sticking it to SeBRATien......

During the post race, the commentators stated that SeBRATien is great with huge amounts of downforce......

Looks like Vettel's going to have to learn mechanical grip to keep up with Daniel....

Great 1-2 with my two favorite drivers....

Hopefully McLaren will bring something good to Barcelona in three weeks time.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Hey All,

Like Juan Pablo said in open wheel you just get in the best car and cruise to victory - no challenge - all the car. All we have here is a changing of the guard about who has the superior car.

Now how can you rule out Vettel not winning if they had actually run the whole race? Just sayin...

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    Hey All,

Like Juan Pablo said in open wheel you just get in the best car and cruise to victory - no challenge - all the car. All we have here is a changing of the guard about who has the superior car.

Now how can you rule out Vettel not winning if they had actually run the whole race? Just sayin...

-Ed-
    So here you go....

1) The reason why the F1 Manufacturers cup pays MASSIVE amounts of money is precisely due to the fact that F1 is about the car. A perfect example of this is the Ferrari Tifosi - they care about Ferrari winning and not who is driving the car.

But...

2) It's not all about the car - a perfect example of this is Daniel Ricciardo beating the pants off of Sebastien Vettel this year in the same car....

NASCAR and Indycar follow a more cookie cutter/template approach to the car and thus manufacturer input carries less weight

And there, you go!

Hey All,

So all that matters is teammate battling teammate when team orders have mostly settled that issue. Sorry not impressed. That said I saw the race a week or two ago in which the owner said - just don't wreck each other (bring the cars home) - that IS how it should be - every race every week.

In this day and age racing of all kinds really has no rational basis being totally about the car anymore - liability and risk say so. If the rest of the world isn't there yet they will be.

And add to that the whole - why am I spending this money and getting nowhere thing. I would really like to see a history of F1 field sizes to see if what I suspect is true. Is there an identifiable list of F1 racing teams who could still exist but have quit F1? I do not know.

NASCAR has the same issue but keep the field at 43. Also they cannot let one manufacturer totally dominate all others.

-Ed-
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Cool

Sorry not impressed.

-Ed-
    Interesting comment considering how large the F1 global fan base is.

Hey All,

Do these fans actually really have a choice? Is there only one game in town?

-Ed-

Hey All,

Do these fans actually really have a choice? Is there only one game in town?

-Ed-

Plenty of choices....
    There are the Australian Supercar series, FIA WEC series, IMSA, ....

Hey All,

Uh no For example I don't think there is an Australian supercar race in China. Real choice - track and teams.

-Ed-

Question

If you're only talking China, then I have no idea what their choices are!

Hey All,

Nor do I - bout says it all - I think.

-Ed-

Question

A thought from another forum...
    If Vettel had moved aside when first instructed, would Ricciardo have been on the podium?

Looks like some potential manufacturers points were lost due to Vettel's arrogance....

Hey All,

You simply miss the point. It isn't (should not be) about manufacturer points. Really simple. F1 can do what it likes but I don't see it as any kind of Premier series - just who has the most money and can influence the rules to favor their cars. Why cheer for that?

-Ed-

Lightbulb

Hey All,

You simply miss the point.

-Ed-

No...
    You are missing the points as to what F1 is about....

Hey All,

No I'm not missing the point(s). I'm saying that idea of racing is over - F1 can live in the past as long as they want. it was over sooner in the USA. Nobody is going around talledega faster than Bill Elliot did - not because the cars aren't faster - they are but because of other reasons.

-Ed-

Hey All,

Says it all for me. Ricciardo didn't beat Vettel so nobody can claim he is better when they can't race. A motorsport that is all about owners, orders and the car has zero credibility.

-Ed-

Hey All,

Uh no For example I don't think there is an Australian supercar race in China. Real choice - track and teams.

-Ed-
    The V8 Supercar Series have run in Shanghai (China), Pukekohoe (New Zealand), Austen (Texas), Yas Marina (Abu Dahabi) and Losail (Qatar) IIRC.
    Unlike MASCAR .........
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Hey All,

Says it all for me. Ricciardo didn't beat Vettel so nobody can claim he is better when they can't race. A motorsport that is all about owners, orders and the car has zero credibility.

-Ed-
    Ed, you've just described NASCAR!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 5