ok im back with a computer question again..

Thread: ok im back with a computer question again..

ok im back with a computer question again..

ive read that one guys FSX needs on simforums?,and txnetcop gave me good advice...but i was reading that guys column and he said that the I7-XXX CPU is the one to use,like a 3.50GHz or higher the overclock to 4.0 minimum ,and to stay away from AMD ,he wrote that in 2013,and ive been looking,dreaming,hoping ect.and ive seen a few AMD CPUs whose "speed"? is anywhere from 4.0GHZ to 4.40GHz...so if they are making them to the same speed as he states you need to over clock the intel to,,,then are the AMD 4.0GHz still horrible?

I do not in any way claim to be a computer guru so i do not now anything about the correctness of the info in this link, if it't legit it has some good info:

http://www.jetlinesystems.com/performance.php

Blog Entries
    Hi Dave...
    My home system runs 4.40.....I have not had any problems with it.....
    Craig.
    SoCal Y22......North Pole, Alaska

Blog Entries
    Since the year 2000 Intel has been the far superior processor for gaming and that substantiated by multiple test sites. However I have seen AMD processors run FSX and P3D very well. It is also a bit less expensive to run the AMD platform, however Intel has become extremely competitive.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    ive read that one guys FSX needs on simforums?,and txnetcop gave me good advice...but i was reading that guys column and he said that the I7-XXX CPU is the one to use,like a 3.50GHz or higher the overclock to 4.0 minimum ,and to stay away from AMD ,he wrote that in 2013,and ive been looking,dreaming,hoping ect.and ive seen a few AMD CPUs whose "speed"? is anywhere from 4.0GHZ to 4.40GHz...so if they are making them to the same speed as he states you need to over clock the intel to,,,then are the AMD 4.0GHz still horrible?
    I
    I use an AMD 8350 and it does everything I need it to do for FSX.. and it was far cheaper then the Intel Processors. I have always used Intel and I do not regret going to AMD. I do not overclock either...
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

I've ran AMD processors for a lot of years, and only recently chose an Intel for my upgrade last year. In fact, previous to this current cpu, the last time I owned or built a pc with an Intel processor, it was a Pentinum II! So with that in mind, I've always had very good luck with them as far as gaming goes (which has always been my primary computer use).

I chose Intel over AMD on my last upgrade purely because I was following the conventional 'Intel performs better than AMD for FSX' wisdom. I'm not entirely sure that's always the case, but seeing as I needed to upgrade to something at the time, it seems like a safe bet. Thus, I currently have an i5-3570k which I usually mildly overclock for FSX to 4.0. Performance with FSX has been good, no complaints.

On a slightly different note, I have also always chosen ATI (before it became AMD) for my video cards in the past. This, however, I can verify did cause me issues when I started using FSX a few years ago. Nothing major, but to get decent performance with any quantity of clouds visible, I used to have to run a modded set of shader files. My recent upgrade in video cards is now Nvidia, which performs wonderfully for me in FSX (as it should.. FSX should barely even touch my 780ti..).

Up until a couple of years ago I was an AMD fan. That changed with my first Intel CPU the i7 3770K. I'm now using an i7 4770K overclocked to 4.2ghz. When AMD ceased trying to be the bestest and fastest, I became disenchanted and decided to try Intel. I've simply never looked back. I was very sorry to see AMD shift gears and/or fall by the wayside. Even though it was always a David vs Goliath situation, I thought AMD would always be competitive. I'm sorry they are not, but now days, I really love the performance I get from my delidded 4770K. FSX works like I always thought it should. Even better.

I have always been an nVidia fan because I'd read that Flight Sim worked better than on Radeon, now AMD. I'm still a solid nVidia user, especially with my GTX 780Ti.

Bob
    CPU: Intel i7-5960X OC 4.5
    MOBO: Asus X99 Deluxe
    RAM: 16GB (4x4) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2800
    GPU: Asus STRIX GeForce GTX980
    PSU: SeaSonic X850
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB (FS9)
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (FSX)
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    HDD: WD 7200 Black 1TB
    CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo (white)
    CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

I used to be a big AMD user as well. For years, AMD CPUs would run circles around Intel's CPUs and at a fraction of the cost. With the advent of the Intel Core2 CPU, that dynamic changed and AMD has trailed ever since. Yes, you can build a computer with an AMD processor and it will run FSX, but Intel CPUs will do it just a little better. If you decide to build with an AMD processor, then you are best off using a Radeon graphics card as AMD owns Radeon and they design their processors and graphics cards to work together. If you build using an Intel processor, then you can use either graphics card, but Nvidia cards seem to run FSX slightly better.

Just my dos centavos, the advice is free so consider it to be worth what you paid for it.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

If you go AMD get the 1100T the newer vishera chips arnt much of an advance even though they can clock well. Last AMD chip Ihad was a 6300@ 4.6Gig, but the Intel 4770K runs rings around it even at stock speeds. So now Im with Intel and will stay here for the foreseeable future as AMD seem to have given up or are hiding something.
    Intel 4790K @ 4.8GHz , 16 Gig Cas 10 2100 MHz ram, Nvidia GTX 970, 4Gig Video, Windows 7 64 Bit, Gigabyte GA Z87X-UD3H

Whatever else you do, get at least 8GB of RAM and a 64-bit OS. That leaves FSX free to use its maximum memory footprint of around 3GB+ without choking the system by paging the OS off to HD or SSD. (Win7 Ultimate 64-bit with 8GB here)
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

You can see my system in my sig line below. It runs FSX very well, locked at 30 FPS with most scenery sliders far to the right. I do not overclock, because I paid a lot of money for this computer and I don't really want to destroy it. I know, many people overclock with no ill-effects, and more power to them, but I'll pass just the same. Got enough speed anyway so why push it?
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Blog Entries
    Hard to find but definitely a winner CPU Dave PRB is right! I have OC'd them to 4.4GHZ easily and mated with 16GB of fast ram and this: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperCloc...7950642&sr=1-1 she will easily stay at 45 to 50fps

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-3820-.../dp/B006WVVA28

i thank you guys again...lots of help here,whats the secret to matching a processor to a motherboard?.....ted had told me at one point (if memory serves) that an asus X87 would be good...(i have everything he sent me writen down),but if i chose a differant processor..how do i match it up with the mobo..what numbers/word/gizmos do i look at to match?..i know the 1150/1155,and what about memory..i saw the comment up above "matched with fast memory"...well how do you pick one memory chip from another?..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    i thank you guys again...lots of help here,whats the secret to matching a processor to a motherboard?.....ted had told me at one point (if memory serves) that an asus X87 would be good...(i have everything he sent me writen down),but if i chose a differant processor..how do i match it up with the mobo..what numbers/word/gizmos do i look at to match?..i know the 1150/1155,and what about memory..i saw the comment up above "matched with fast memory"...well how do you pick one memory chip from another?..
    Dave I am in the middle of a gamer build right now for a guy and trying to get it done and tested this weekend. I will get with you Monday and give you the keys to the kingdom so you can decide for yourself what you want to spend and how you want to spend it.
    Ted

well thats awesome..thank you

Members who have read this thread: 63