Hawaiian Scenery for P3D

Thread: Hawaiian Scenery for P3D

Hawaiian Scenery for P3D

Wondering if anyone who was using the Newport Hawaii scenery has been successful in moving it to P3D_V2.2? I don't have it yet, but it looks pretty nice and it would certainly spruce up the very basic look of the Islands as they currently stand. Also, the description says that there is also autogen buildings and vegetation. . .how extensive is the placement. . .Thanks!

Hmmmm, nobody has it. . .ok so I went and purchased Molokai as a test (only $7.50US). Initial reaction. . .quite nice, but with some minor problems (for me anyway). The blur mask around the Island doesn't mesh with the default water as well as it could (remember though, this is FSX scenery in P2D_V2.2) and the autogen placement, while more than I expected, is still fairly sparse for my taste and I'll see if it's possible to add to it via the P3D Annotator. All in all, it's quite nice to fly over the Island and see what it actually looks like. I'm going for the other Islands in the series. . .especially at this price. (FSPilot Shop).

NOTE: Yes I can add more autogen using the Annotator, so I am moving ahead with that to fill more areas with trees and shrubbery.

Just some additional observations if anyone is even the slightest bit interested. . .Once over the Islands (Molokai, Lanai, Maui or Kaui), the variation in the water disappears and it actually looks quite normal. It's only as you approach the Island that the water doesn't match correctly, mostly due to the way the light hits the default water and the reflections. The autogen, if you have a working knowledge of the Annotator, is very simple to fix and with a little effort will fill in some of the more barren areas on the Islands. The ground textures themselves are excellent (especially for the price) and the only area that was "off" was the interior of Haleakala on Maui. It has a lot of color saturation that doesn't look very good actually. I'm not sure if that was the best they could get, or it was worse than that in the original and this was their attempt to correct it as much as possible. At any rate, everything else looks great, nice color. . .better than some other payware textures and it really adds to the fun of flying the Islands. . . .oh. . .also, no FPS hit that I noticed. Mine are set at 31 and during the tour it never dropped below 29fps.

Some shots of the Islands. . .a WIP now as I'll continue to add vegetation in areas where it needs it and buildings as well. Some of the "Oahu" shots clearly show the cloud shadowing.

I have been using some wonderful FSX freeware photoreal scenery I found on AVSIM (and probably other) library by a simmer name Charles Reid. He went from island to island upgrading them, hand placing the autogen, vegetation, custom buildings. Really a huge amount of work, (dare I say several years). I have all the islands in photoreal, mesh, autogen and even night lighting I believe. Just ported everything over to my P3D folders. Also added all the FSTD Hawaiian island airports to the mix. The only one I don't have is the big island. Megascenery offers that for only something like $5 because there are clouds on the photo tiles so they offered it add a big discount. Have not got it though.

Gee, just reminds me I haven't tried my Hawaiian stuff in P3Dv2 with all the cloud shadows... good thing it is Saturday,

Members who have read this thread: 27