Majestic Software Dash 8 - Q400 - Pilot Edition

Thread: Majestic Software Dash 8 - Q400 - Pilot Edition

Charter Member 2015

Majestic Software Dash 8 - Q400 - Pilot Edition

Is this hard on FPS and do you have to spend 4 years learning to fly it?

Thanks

David

Quote Originally Posted by Pepere View Post
    Is this hard on FPS and do you have to spend 4 years learning to fly it?

Thanks

David
    I found it no harder than any other aircraft to fly really, the FMC is a little different to others, but that's about it. The startup sequence is pretty simple as far as turboprops go.

As for frames, it can be a little heavy, especially if the weather is bad too, but it's bearable for me.

David, I've been flying it pretty steady now for about a month and Frame Rate wise in normal conditions it's just fine. I'm flying it on a laptop with a quad processor running at 2.9Ghz with an old GTX 260 nVidia card and it stays mostly where I have it locked at 26fps. I think it would easily be more but I like it there. Flying wise it takes some getting used to at first but I love the FDE on it. Very honest and predictable. That being said it will keep you on your toes to do everything you need to fly it in a realistic manner, but I like this compared to the 737NGX or 777 by PMDG where a lot of the workload in navigation is handled for you by the fms. Don't get me wrong those are great also. I just finished watching all the excellent video tutorials I purchased from Airline2Sim and learned a bunch more helpful info and real world tips. BTW the 737NGX is a little less frame friendly on my machine but still perfectly flyable, hope this helps ya decide.

Steve

the mjc q400 is considered amazingly fps friendly compared to similar high fidelity payware. if you have decent hw, it will run as smooth as the default planes. do a google search and you'll get more opinions.

I have to agree with everyone here, its great! In fact, I spent the afternoon taking it on a short flight on the West Coast.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

It is probably one of the most advanced simulations available at the moment.
    It combines an exceptional depth of systems accuracy with the impact on FSX
    of a default aircraft.
    It does this by using FSX only to display the aircraft and running everything else
    outside.
    Better than that, the developers have responded to customer requests and the
    several updates, with more to come I expect, have continued to improve on its
    initial excellence.

It takes about five minutes to learn how to start the engines and take off but much
    longer than that to be able to fly it successfully

Charter Member 2015
    Thanks for the info... I've been waiting for it to be on sale and Just Flight has it for $47.99 this weekend that's not a whole lot off, but I guess I will not get it for $10.00 anytime soon.

David

Pepere,
    I'd recommend it without hesitation, particularly at that price. As others have mentioned, despite its systems depth it runs as smoothly as default on almost all setups. Once installed, a little easy legwork is required in initially configuring your controller...particularly for the throttle zones and condition lever detents. All of this is very well explained in the manual and not difficult. Beyond that, it's actually a fairly easy plane to get the hang of. If you've toyed with any other advanced simulations in FS (PMDG, Level-D, etc), then it won't take long to get accustomed to the Q400. And ohhhh....those sounds! Easily some of the best aircraft engine sounds in FS! I love the deep purr at takeoff and the way the props 'nibble' at beta when taxiing or on landing.

Good luck!
    -Mark

Of course the biggest problem, and the main reason I'd never buy it, is the actual aircraft is hideous!

Dave,

This is what I love about the human race; the ability to have different/personal opinions.

I happen to love this version of a modern prop-liner.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Charter Member 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    Dave,

This is what I love about the human race; the ability to have different/personal opinions.

I happen to love this version of a modern prop-liner.

Me too.

David

A common mistake is confuse complexity of the aircraft with depth of simulation.

Majestic Q400 is the best aircraft for FSX in terms of simulation (UNS-1 FMS, beta range, sounds, flight model and of course, performance...).

And the Q400 is not complex as B777 or Tu-144D (most complex addons in FS universe).

Charter Member 2015
    Got it - now need to read manual!

David

i love this aircraft. FPS of a default aircraft, system depth, and fun to fly! What more could you ask for!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by Pepere View Post
    Got it - now need to read manual!

David
    You won't regret it for sure. May I also suggest the FS2Crew and Airline2Sim addons also, after you get some flight time under your belt. Have fun!

Steve

Members who have read this thread: 65