The Salem Rep

Thread: The Salem Rep

The Salem Rep

Hi All,

Could one of you kind gents consider doing a skin of the FDG P-51 Malcolm Hood in the livery of Kid Hofer?

His story was one of "a loose cannon on deck". I've found it very interesting since the first time I read about him. Maybe more of one I can relate to.

The VB plane with his texture is really nice but getting a little long in the tooth. It's been my go to Euro plane for a lonnnng time.
    So I thought I'd throw this out here.

Here's To Hoping,
    Dave

DV, the expert Smashing Time may be able to bang out a quickie for this one. A couple of years ago he did this skin for the Warbirdsim Malcolm Hood P-51. Although he's long retired from CFS2 skinning, he's not very far away here at the other forums and his familiarity with Salem-Representative is a plus as he may still have a WBS template he can use for this.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...esentative-zip

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Blog Entries

which particular digital model?

Quote Originally Posted by dvslats View Post
    Hi All,

Could one of you kind gents consider doing a skin of the FDG P-51 Malcolm Hood in the livery of Kid Hofer?

His story was one of "a loose cannon on deck". I've found it very interesting since the first time I read about him. Maybe more of one I can relate to.

The VB plane with his texture is really nice but getting a little long in the tooth. It's been my go to Euro plane for a lonnnng time.

Here's To Hoping,
    Dave
    Which is the model you want painted???? Each product has its particular set of textures! I would be glad to do it for you... just PM me...
    Gaucho_59....

ps. you can see the quality of my work in my thread... "I just finished a new panel for the Storch"

Blog Entries

I posted a test pic of my WIP for you.. but don't see it

Hi All,

Here's To Hoping,
    Dave
    Here it is again...
    Still have to refine it... so send those photos... especially his kills and invasion stripes if you want them... let me know which one you want... early or late in the war..

Hi gaucho, early would be great. No invasion stripes needed.

You got that out quick! I'll be looking for some better pictures in higher resolutions.

Thanks, Dave

Blog Entries

I don't know about higher resolutions....

Hi gaucho, early would be great. No invasion stripes needed.

You got that out quick! I'll be looking for some better pictures in higher resolutions.

Thanks, Dave
    There is a particularity to the original textures... I work them at better than 300 dpi... but
    when I put them in the sim... it only takes them at 256 colors... if I put the original work
    in 8 bit color... it shows a blank for the textured airplane.... maybe something to do with
    instructions in the mdl... or somewhere... But even that does not square off... because I
    do repaints of originals that are 8 bit color...and the sim refuses to accept re-done textures
    unless the are in 256 colors... and of course... that loses some painting subtleties applied...
    The resolution of the original is what it is... can't make a silk purse out of a sau's ear...
    I am afraid the resolution has to be there... unless a complete brand new texturing is done..
    and that would take quite some time... starting from scratch... which sort of goes beyond
    the call of duty for a favor to a fellow simmer...hahahaha
    I think the final product will be pleasing to the eye though... the reason those payware models are so
    neat is that the original paint work is done on mapped textures that are some 10 to 15 years
    ahead of the FDG old models.....
    If you look at my repaints in my thread on FS2004... you'll see how GOOD the can look at this resolution...
    G.

Blog Entries

Well, this is the best I could do with the sau's ear...

Pretty much finished... just a few touches left... should be able to send it soon:
    It is not a silk purse... but I think it will do good service.... I put new rims and tires
    on it... the FDG ones are lousy textures... (well maybe they are no the original ones...
    folks that repaint tend to leave good things alone... so probably the lousy wheels were
    part of the original donation ware)...

Cheers,
    G.

Hey gaucho, these look fantastic!

I understand what you mean about the texture resolutions in CFS2.
    16 bit is as good as it gets. The only thing that is perfect in life are our wives. (so they think lol)
    No problem for me though.

My previous post was poorly written by me. I was only speaking of the internet pictures I sent to you. Those were low res.

Anyway I'm looking forward to installing your work.
    You should really think about up-loading the Hofer texture...in due time of course.

Thank You Very Much Gaucho,
    Dave

Hey , I,ll second that request , Dave , upload that bird Gaucho , lookin good ,

Members who have read this thread: 25