building a new PC for FSX

Thread: building a new PC for FSX

building a new PC for FSX

I am looking to build a new PC for FSX and I'm looking for what people are using for theirs. If I am building a new one. I want it to kick ass...but on a moderate budget.

So, what I'd like to do is ask you to post your systems set up, JUST the PC.....and what your typical FPS is and its important that all sliders are maxed. I don't want to play around this time....

My system is good but its about 5 to 6 years old.......don't ask my how I am doing it....but I am flying right now at 40-50 FPS. Most sliders maxed out. But....I am out of room on my PC and I'm afraid its gonna crap soon.

thanks in advance.

To be honest, my first thought was that if you're flying a 4 or 5 year old pc with most sliders maxed and still getting 40 to 50 fps, baby that thing like it's made outta gold!

Granted, I guess there's a lot of variables there - different scenery and different planes could likely reduce that 40 or 50 fps in a flash. But still, sounds like you get some pretty decent mileage out of your system, so I'd consider carefully whether upgrading is really worth it.

Edit: I meant to throw my specs and results in there but i went ahead and hit the post button...

My system has a middle of the road i5-3570K that I usually run oc'd between 4.0 to 4.2. For graphics I have a 780ti, but it's a bit overkill for FSX of course (not it's purpose in life, really). I have 16gb of ram, and run FSX on a SSD. Nothing else is remarkable about my pc; my ram isn't anything special, my SSD is a cheaper one, and I don't worry too much about stuff like other running processes. That said, I lock FSX to 30fps through Nvidia Inspector, have fairly high levels of AA applied, and in most planes over most scenery with any type of clouds, it generally never budges from that smooth 30fps. I'm sure I would notice some issues if I flew anything PMDG-like into big centers with lots of AI, but that's not really my thing, so therefore my pc works absolutely perfect for me.

Have you seen Nick Needham's FSX computer system 'Bible'? - http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-...opic46211.html. It's a lot to plough through (and to be honest his style can take some swallowing) but for what it's worth I don't think you'll find a better guide anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWeevil View Post
    ...and to be honest his style can take some swallowing...
    You're not kidding: 10 paragraphs or so was more than enough, however much he may know. Unfortunately my rig is 6yrs old, so I'm waiting to read recommendations too...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

so am i...ive been "working" on getting a new one...im down to one of those "BareBones" units from tiger direct,its AMD (which i know others have said not to )

but this is what im looking at now..

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...rkey=B69-00115

have to add some stuff to it,graphics card,dvd burner,i want a sound card..not integrated..

and i want to add a 15K rpm hard drive just for FSX.it costs $147.06 USD..what could it hurt..the SSD's scare me in that most ive looked at have less capacity than my currant FSX install.

Members who have read this thread: 45