The Million Dollar Ride
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Million Dollar Ride

The Million Dollar Ride

Hey guys,

I had so much fun flying Padburgess's challenge this weekend, I thought I'd share something of my own.

A Seattle reporter once got a ride in the right seat of an A-6 through the Cascade Mountains dubbing it "a million dollar ride". From what I remember, the ride in question was the VR-1355 low level route. Having never flown it myself (I tried once, but was weathered out by mountain obscuring clouds) I've always been dying to give it a go. So, inspired by Padburgess, I have plotted the route in Skyvector, stripped the chart (as much as SV allows), and calculated some legs.

I just tried it and it is truly a beautiful ride through the mountains.

I've attached all the strip maps and waypoint logs run at every 60kts (it's an easy mile a minute calculation that I actually guess wasn't necessary since SV ran all the numbers anyway, but old habits die hard). I've also included some maps to get you to point A. This isn't quite like the other route as you will not have a valley to follow. This will be low level (500ft maximum) time/distance/heading with map interpretation. It's not a particularly easy route, especially down low. Keep honest on your headings and airspeed, form a big picture of the terrain that you are flying over from the chart, and remember "Clock to Chart to Ground". If you keep your speed and timing then don't get suckered into turning early (or late) by an inviting landmark...trust your numbers!

You will not likely be able to maintain 500ft the entire way, due to the rugged terrain. Just do you best using terrain masking and enjoy the several opportunities for inverted ridgeline crossings that the route gives you!

For those who like a challenge, pick a time on target at the last point and see if you can get to the final point on time...+/-30sec is the normal criteria for proficiency. I actually didn't do my full flight planning for you. It's much easier to add the times and keep elapsed time from point A rather than restart your clock at every point, so up to you on that. My apologies for the odd map orientations. They should be track up, but SV puts the distance and heading North up.

Anyone up for it?

Strip Charts:

A-B:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A-B.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	6817

B-C:

Name:	B-C.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	6818

C-D:

Name:	C-D.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	6819

D-E:

Name:	D-E.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	6822

E-F:

Name:	E-F.jpg 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	6821

F-G:

Name:	F-G.jpg 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	6820

Flight logs at 60kt intervals...

Name:	60kts.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	6823 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	120kts.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	6824 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	180kts.jpg 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	6825 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	240kts.jpg 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	6826 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300kts.jpg 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	6827 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360Kts.jpg 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	6828 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	420kts.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	6829

Not the best logs and crammed for space, but should get you going...

Oh, depart from KHRI and route will end fairly close to NAS Whidbey Island.

From KHRI, hold course 246 for 34mi. Point A is on the north side of the Columbia River. It's not particularly easy to see, but here's some help to get you on your way.

Flying west down the Columbia, you will see Crowe Butte State Park on an island in the middle of the river...

Name:	3CroweButte.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	6830

Further west you will see Willow Lake on the south side as a sort of river delta crossed by bridges...

Name:	4WillowLake.jpg 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	6831

You can see just beyond Willow Lake on the north side a very small river valley (dry in FSX)...the origin as it crosses the road is Point A...

Name:	5PtA.jpg 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	6832

Here's Willow Lake circled in the flight map (the arrow is the initial leg more or less for orientation). Point A is at about 10 O'clock on the red circle.

Name:	Start Point.jpg 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	6833

And here it is in Google Maps...

Name:	Point A.jpg 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	6834
    Last edited by Deacon211; April 13th, 2014 at 16:20.

Deacon211, very nice work on the strip chart. Wish I had a dollar for every strip chart I made at VA-128, the A-6 training squadron at Whidbey Island. We could all go out for dinner on me. I'm not familiar with VR-1355 from back in the day. Interesting how it starts right outside R-5701, the Boardman bombing range. I would expect a VR route to terminate there, rather than start.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Deacon211, very nice work on the strip chart. Wish I had a dollar for every strip chart I made at VA-128, the A-6 training squadron at Whidbey Island. We could all go out for dinner on me. I'm not familiar with VR-1355 from back in the day. Interesting how it starts right outside R-5701, the Boardman bombing range. I would expect a VR route to terminate there, rather than start.
    You know, I thought the same thing. I actually started the chart from Whidbey then saw the arrows pointing the wrong way.

Being a Yuma/Kingsville guy, we rarely got to get that far north; so I have flown only a few of the routes up there. Must have been a blast going through the RAG with such great terrain to fly through.

I recall going on a det there once in August. We closed the canopies in Yuma where it was 105 at least and tanked the whole way.

When we opened them in Whidbey, it was 65....it felt like outdoor air conditioner!

EDIT: Here's an EA-6B on the backside of the route by Bunting Lake I think...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ELJkITPr0A
    Last edited by Deacon211; April 14th, 2014 at 04:40.

Is "Skyvector" easy to use? I ask from the viewpoint of a retired CPO in senility training

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Is "Skyvector" easy to use? I ask from the viewpoint of a retired CPO in senility training
    So easy that it's remarkable that it's free!

A great place to access airport data, view sectionals, WACs, and Enroute charts. Plotting is no more difficult than right clicking and "adding to route". I do all my FSX flight planning there.

Sounds like a great learning opportunity for me, thanks! NC

Most of the MTR's have been done in FSX flightplan format on Avsim:

northwest_us_flightplans.zip

I've got a current AP1B, but most of these don't change and you don't need to worry about "no-fly" areas on FS.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Most of the MTR's have been done in FSX flightplan format on Avsim:

northwest_us_flightplans.zip

I've got a current AP1B, but most of these don't change and you don't need to worry about "no-fly" areas on FS.
    Nice! That would be very helpful for those with a moving map or just for reference.

But I actually had some fun doing it the old fashioned way...makes missing that turn more hair raising!

Deacon

Anyone wanna educate me about what's possible regarding flying those low-level routes in a strict late-70s to very-early-90s scenario without spending a dime on a VC-equipped kite?

(I need a military freeware aircraft with VC that really did fly any of these routes. F-111? F-5? T-38? T-33?)

- Edit:

https://sites.google.com/site/shess0.../AS-F111-Panel

And Pease AFB to boot!

https://sites.google.com/site/shess0757/projectpeaseafb
    Last edited by Bjoern; April 14th, 2014 at 13:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Anyone wanna educate me about what's possible regarding flying those low-level routes in a strict late-70s to very-early-90s scenario without spending a dime on a VC-equipped kite?

(I need a military freeware aircraft with VC that really did fly any of these routes. F-111? F-5? T-38? T-33?)

- Edit:

https://sites.google.com/site/shess0.../AS-F111-Panel

And Pease AFB to boot!

https://sites.google.com/site/shess0757/projectpeaseafb

Well, I can't imagine that there isn't a freeware everything for FSX by now of varying quality. Have you browsed through Simviation and seen what they had to offer? The routes are open to everyone in the mil, so any of the ones you mentioned, plus all other period correct jets and even transports would be a fair choice. Even the default Hornet is probably in there for the 80s-90s...If you can stretch your timeframe a bit, I don't think you can beat Dino's F-14D or T-45C...

....speaking of which:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk9LQtPsCdk

Deacon

OK, here's my first run:

Taking off from KHRI...

Name:	1KHRI.jpg 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	6885

Coming up on Pt B...the hill crest

Name:	6PtB.jpg 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	6886

Crested the ridge and found Mt Adams on the other side...cool!

Name:	10MtAdams.jpg 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	6887

Pt C...the northern knob of Clear Lake

Name:	11Clear Lake.jpg 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	6888

The eastern edge of Bumping Lake serves as a good cross check between Pts C an D.

Name:	12Bumping Lake.jpg 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	6889

A couple of big drop-offs which are great for ridgeline crossings.

Name:	14Ridgeline.jpg 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	6890

Pt D at the end of Keechelus Lake.

Name:	15Keechlus Lake.jpg 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	6891

Terrain starts to get pretty rugged after D.

Name:	18.jpg 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	6892

Came upon this hidden mountain lake. Always one of the best parts of low levels for me was wondering if any human had ever stepped foot here 100 miles from nowhere..

Name:	20Hidden grotto.jpg 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	6893

Screwed up my timing taking pictures and was sweating the turn at Pt E a bit, especially since it was a pretty broad mountain top between to river valleys. Felt much better seeing Glacier Peak on the back side.

Name:	23Glacier Peak.jpg 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	6894

According to the chart, put it on my right side and was feeling fairly confident I was back on course.

Name:	25Glacier Peak.jpg 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	6895

Actually wound up a little right of center and wasn't entirely sure I was going to see the next checkpoint as it was another mountain top amongst many but spotted it as I crossed the Suiattle River and made the final turn to the target.

Name:	26Suiattle River.jpg 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	6896

Unfortunately, that was the last of it. In saving my pictures and checking the chart I accidently hit whatever combination of keys was required to reload the scenario! Aaaaaaaaaaargh! Foiled again!

Well, that was my war story. Laugh a little. Cry a little.

Anyone else?

Nice course, Deacon!

I would like to give it a go, if that's OK. The only caveat is that I'm using FS9. I followed your routing on my SV map, and I deduce that the turns on VR-1355 correspond to the various Waypoints.

NC - You'll like Skyvector a lot, especially since they added the new Digital US Sectionals; they're much clearer than the old charts. Also adding the World VFR, Hi and Low Charts makes most Global planning much easier!

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPilot2 View Post
    Nice course, Deacon!

I would like to give it a go, if that's OK. The only caveat is that I'm using FS9. I followed your routing on my SV map, and I deduce that the turns on VR-1355 correspond to the various Waypoints.

NC - You'll like Skyvector a lot, especially since they added the new Digital US Sectionals; they're much clearer than the old charts. Also adding the World VFR, Hi and Low Charts makes most Global planning much easier!

I registered for SV. Took a look at it. Wish there was a way to print the generated flight plan. NC

Nice course, Deacon!

Sure man, have at it...you don't need my permission! it's all in good fun.

I have FS Genesis mesh. Are you running anything beyond stock FS9? I'd be curious to see how well the scenery matches in other builds. With FTX and FSG I was pretty impressed that I could follow the chart and actually recognize the terrain from the videos...pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I registered for SV. Took a look at it. Wish there was a way to print the generated flight plan. NC
    Yeah, I wish you could export it. I had to do the print screen trick to get the logs above.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon211 View Post
    The routes are open to everyone in the mil, so any of the ones you mentioned, plus all other period correct jets and even transports would be a fair choice.
    The F-111 is fun enough and period accurate. It'll have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    The F-111 is fun enough and period accurate. It'll have to do.
    Personally, I think the 'Vark is an ideal choice for something like this; she's ideal for the Mission!

Deacon & NC - At one time, SV had a Print option, but due to the FlightPrep deal they had to disable that feature.
    FYI there's another neat site that gives real time Aviation Wx, with METARS and the ability to track the Wx along your entire route:

www.avnwx.com

I have a stock Install of FS9... nothing like UT, or REX running in the background. I have a couple small LC areas around Denver and Moab,
    but that's it. I'll post screenies at the WP's so you can see if there's a difference in views.

Personally, I think the 'Vark is an ideal choice for something like this; she's ideal for the Mission!

Deacon & NC - At one time, SV had a Print option, but due to the FlightPrep deal they had to disable that feature.
    FYI there's another neat site that gives real time Aviation Wx, with METARS and the ability to track the Wx along your entire route:

www.avnwx.com

I have a stock Install of FS9... nothing like UT, or REX running in the background. I have a couple small LC areas around Denver and Moab,
    but that's it. I'll post screenies at the WP's so you can see if there's a difference in views.

Very cool and I agree that the F-111 is a great choice for low altitude stuff. I looked over at Simviation and there are a few recent choices for 70-90s era fighters, with VCs. The latest freeware F-16 looks pretty good.

I'd love to see what this route would look like in ORBX PNW...spot on I'd imagine and an improvement over my FTX/FSG setup.

Bjoern,

Check this out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQDsD5gXUY4

The 1st story is all about the bird you want to use; in this case, it's the "SparkVark".

I decided I needed a FAM run before I do a timed run. I made a flight plan in Plan-G from the VR-1553 route on Sky Vector. This was a bit of a pain as the checkpoints were not all easy to locate. I did not use that plan in the Sim using the GPS, but tracked my progress while connected to Plan-G, and looked out the window for the checkpoints. This is not easy! I found myself flying cross-ways over valleys thinking “I think I'm supposed to go down there into these valleys, and pop up over the next ridge, which comes up pretty darned fast (*gulp*)... Also, the Royal Navy Sea Venom, while a fine machine, doesn't have enough gas to make the entire run (oops). I got my strip charts all set up with times and courses in big red letters ready to go for the "real" one. Anyhow, here's some kodaks of my FAM flight.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Nice one PRB! Those are beautiful shots. Is that ORBX PNW?

It is a bit of a challenge, but that's part of the fun.

Just a general note to anyone who gives it a go. You don't need to stay 500ft even in the valleys. I actually think that it'd be near impossible. Ideally, if you were planning this route, you would put some terrain between you and any known radar site, so as long as you were below the crest, you'd be masked.

In the videos, some guys are flying down the valleys, then popping over the ridges. You can certainly do that, but it will require some really good route knowledge and Zen to stay more or less on the route proper and on your timing. A moving map is huge for this and most tactical jets have some groovy timing software that takes most of the guesswork out of it.

LOL, having said that, I have gone off into BFE a few times as a nugget and looked down to see that making my TOT required a speed that defied the laws of God and man.

Deacon

Thanks Deacon. Yep, that's ORBX PNW. Rgr on terrain following. Might try this with the A-7E. It has a moving map, and a HUD, which also comes in handy in this sort of flight.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 144