Any WWII Axis scenery for FSX??

Thread: Any WWII Axis scenery for FSX??

Any WWII Axis scenery for FSX??

Now that I have a nice collection of WWII German aircraft, I was wondering if anyone knows of any addon scenery for that era - preferably with static and ai aircraft??

Lionheart Creations once offered Operation Valkyrie for FS9 which is pretty neat, but I haven't come across anything like it for FSX.

Any suggestions??
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

try here

http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/node/104 for a Luftwaffe field, and a fictional north African one here

http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/node/102

Didn't quite escape.
    Part of the reason is that information on Luftwaffe airfields during WW2 is kind of lacking, like almost entirely lacking - particularly for the Battle of Britain era.

Many of the Luftwaffe operational airfields were exactly that - fields. Like Caffiers, there's nothing left of the airfield at all, just the field bit. Caffiers is unusual in that I found an excellent map detailing the operational area and the hedgelines/roads have remained the same surrounding it. Regarding the more permanent structures, following WW2, the French, unlike the British, upgraded pretty much all of their military airfields using NATO money, then quit NATO and gained a lot of very nice jet capable air bases, thank you very much NATO!

They then upgraded them again in the early millennium, either as regional commercial airports, or even more modern military ones, depending on whether they were still in use or not. In total, I have found sufficient detail to locate a whole two more airfields that were used by the Luftwaffe at the time of the Battle of Britain, although since I started looking, one of those has become a new Autoroute junction and a tram depot.

I'm still hoping to add at least one Stuka and one He111 base some time soon, but they will be almost entirely guesswork, unfortunately, as to exact location and layout.

Cheers,

Ian P.

I think Simviation still has Doebritz available:

This is another one of my historical airports. If NAS Pensacola is the birthplace of American Navy Aviation, Flugplatz Doberitz is the birthplace of German Military Aviation. It is argueably the birthplace of the Luftwaffe. In 1910, only a year after Johannesthal was established, the German Government established Doberitz for the sole purpose of developing pilots and tactics to take the airplane to war. It served as both a training site and defense site throughout world wars I and II. After WWII it was behind the "Iron Curtain" and served the Soviets in various capacities, but not as the historical place it held within German Military History. The airfield is recreated here as it appeared in the 1920's to late 1930's. Throughout WWII, Doberitz continued to grow, and was host to all manner of military aircraft. With alumni like Max Immelman and Manfred Von Richtofen, most if not all of the German Aces had cycled through Doberitz at some time in their careers. Doberitz is now a nature park.This iteration fixes autogen problems for Ultimate Terrain X Europe users.

I have a picture of the control tower with a Stuka parked out in front.

Jim

Use the searchword "Flugplatz". Doberitz did not work for me.

Iam working on a WW2 Abbeville France airfield. Like has been stated, finding specific information is hard. I have a handfull of sources with some fair maps and layouts, some pictures.
    Being a frontline airfield, the Germans did build up Abbyville quite a bit, but also made good use of existing wooded areas and a couple of towns that do not exist in FSX.

Francois Dumas was working on an expandable D-Day scenery. It looked nice.

Don

Here are some screenshots I took of the FS9 Operation Valkyrie by Lionheart Creations to give you an idea of what I was looking for in FSX.

-- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    Part of the reason is that information on Luftwaffe airfields during WW2 is kind of lacking, like almost entirely lacking...

..... they will be almost entirely guesswork, unfortunately, as to exact location and layout.
    True, but if one is willing to invest your own cash then appropriate B&W airphotos can be scanned (using a photogrammetric scanner) by and purchased from the RCAHMS. With appropriate control points, DEM and the right [photogrammetric] software these can be processed into orthophotos, thus providing a layout for use in ADE and photoscenery for the simulator (esp. if hand coloured).

I hope that helps? Happy to discuss more by PM if needed...

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

From my materials most of the French and Belgium airfields, as Ian pointed out, where just fields with a scattering of old buildings and barns that were heavily camouflaged. Generally planes were parked within the surrounding trees and hedgerows. Attached are a few of the more visible structures.
    Wevelghem was a French airdrome heavily used by JG 26.

http://www.bahavzw.be/database/conte...egem-vliegveld

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages...m_airfield.htm

Cherbourg had an airport that was used during the battle of Britain.
    As attached, even a Fighter Command center was rather inconspicuous. Not much to find of the German airports deep inside Germany. The more prominent ones were easy targets for the Allies.
    By late in the war a lot of “bases” were using roads and highways within forests.

Sources:
    Jadgeschwaderb2 “Richthofen” , Holger Nauroth
    Jadgwaffe series ‘Holding the West
    ‘Defending the Reich’
    JG26 Photographic History of the Luftwaffe’s Top Guns, Donald Caldwell
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Smashing Time; April 14th, 2014 at 09:15.
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
    Henny Youngman

http://mil-airfields.de/germany/airbases.htm

Basically, 70 to 80% of all german airports used to be Luftwaffle fields.

Shorten the runway by 50 to 60%, replace the buildings with some generic metal hangar models from somewhere, remove reventments and hardened shelters and you've got yourself, in most cases, a cozy Reichsverteidigungsflugplatz for all your Me-262 adventures.

Didn't quite escape.
    Money is something I completely lack right now, unfortunately, Andy. Anything I do will be using resources I can obtain for free, unfortunately.

The place I'd really like to do, if I was insane enough and had the time/skill to model it all would be the colossal night fighter base at Venlo on the Dutch/German border. Most of the layout is still visible in aerial photographs, indeed part of it is still a military storage depot, but the site itself is just HUGE.

http://fliegerhorstvenlo.webklik.nl/...gerhorst-venlo

Direct link to map from that site: http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Grotefoto-XJY7MFSN.jpg

Anyone fancy helping?

Ian P.

A beautiful project Ian. However a huge one! I really admire your courage. I can't really help you as I don't have the skills and I don't have any additional information about this airfield.

As I live very close to the now closed "Fliegerhorst Katwijk" (aka NAS Valkenburg) I realise that German airfields will be very complex to create in FSX. The airfield was really huge and the Germans parked their aircraft quite far from the actual airfield. So the infrastructure is spread over a huge area. This particular airfield was also intergrated in the "Atlantik wall"so there were many bunkers on and spread around the airfield as well

The same is valid for airfields like Deelen (Fliegerhorst Deelen near Arnhem) and Leeuwarden (Fliegerhorst Leeuwarden near the city with the same name).

Cheers,
    Huub

Money is something I completely lack right now, unfortunately, Andy. Anything I do will be using resources I can obtain for free, unfortunately.

The place I'd really like to do, if I was insane enough and had the time/skill to model it all would be the colossal night fighter base at Venlo on the Dutch/German border. Most of the layout is still visible in aerial photographs, indeed part of it is still a military storage depot, but the site itself is just HUGE.

http://fliegerhorstvenlo.webklik.nl/...gerhorst-venlo

Direct link to map from that site: http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Grotefoto-XJY7MFSN.jpg

Anyone fancy helping?

Ian P.
    Yes! I would love to help!

Cees

Part of the reason is that information on Luftwaffe airfields during WW2 is kind of lacking, like almost entirely lacking - particularly for the Battle of Britain era.

Many of the Luftwaffe operational airfields were exactly that - fields. Like Caffiers, there's nothing left of the airfield at all, just the field bit. Caffiers is unusual in that I found an excellent map detailing the operational area and the hedgelines/roads have remained the same surrounding it. Regarding the more permanent structures, following WW2, the French, unlike the British, upgraded pretty much all of their military airfields using NATO money, then quit NATO and gained a lot of very nice jet capable air bases, thank you very much NATO!

They then upgraded them again in the early millennium, either as regional commercial airports, or even more modern military ones, depending on whether they were still in use or not. In total, I have found sufficient detail to locate a whole two more airfields that were used by the Luftwaffe at the time of the Battle of Britain, although since I started looking, one of those has become a new Autoroute junction and a tram depot.

I'm still hoping to add at least one Stuka and one He111 base some time soon, but they will be almost entirely guesswork, unfortunately, as to exact location and layout.

Cheers,

Ian P.
    Sorry, but France quit NATO to own nuclear weapons without the "difficulties" to be a USA dependent country. Please, can you stop French bashing for a while?
    JMC

Icon22 Reply...

Gents,

Remember, please keep SOH apolitical.

Thanks,

P.S. - I am going to post some screenshots of Marseille in the CFS2 forum that I just turned into GSL. (global scenery layer - destroyable scenery) I've also done Toulon, Saint-Raphael, Frejus, Imperia, Porto Mauzirio, Genoa, La Spezia, Naples, Palermo, and other French cities. I have the layouts, it may be possible to turn them into scenery using comparable objects...who knows?
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Please, can you stop French bashing for a while?
    Sorry JMC but I've read that passage a few times and don't see any French bashing????

Anywhoo.. good project
    ATB
    DaveB

Audembert?

I can turn out conjectures effortlessly......

Cees
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Audembert-2015-apr-22-001.jpg   Audembert-2015-apr-22-002.jpg   Audembert-2015-apr-22-003.jpg   Audembert-2015-apr-22-004.jpg   Audembert-2015-apr-22-005.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    I can turn out conjectures effortlessly......

Cees
    Hello,

This airfield available?

Zsolt
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Members who have read this thread: 45