Not a Bad Idea...

Thread: Not a Bad Idea...

Not a Bad Idea...

There is no doubt our favorite flight sim is showing its age, CFS3 is over 10 years old, and my game CD's are definitely displaying their age. The playing surfaces are getting pretty scratched up with all the hours of enjoyment playing the sim. So, I decided to go on eBay and see if I could find a new copy of the game. Luckily enough I did, and it only cost me $10. Upon arrival, I received both game CD's, with flawless playing surfaces. Also included was the original box which was slightly crushed, no biggie, game CD sleeve, manual, original ads for Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick, and the foldout area of operations page. The whole idea was if my original CD's get too scratched up to read, I have a mint copy of the game I can use if that day ever arrives, and for only 10$, I thought it wasn't a bad idea. I'll still use my older copy of the game, but at least if it decides to hit the fan, I can still play. I also have the games patches saved on a flash drive since the games website is no longer up.
    Last edited by Lt. Heinz Becker; April 10th, 2014 at 05:32. Reason: typo

Lt. Heinz Becker

Blog Entries
    Yep, good idea. I recently got another copy off Ebay for a few pounds just to keep as a spare. I've also got complete installs saved on USB sticks.

It's also available as pay to download:
    http://www.old-games.com/getfile/10728
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

My CDs are still in pristine condition...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Mine too, but what a good find with that game site Clive! A couple of old titles there I remember fondly and one I really wanted again. Cheers!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Is the downloadable one the DVD (not CD) version?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Great site, just got Aces Over Europe which was the first flight sim I ever had. Hard to believe that was 20 years ago now. It was fun to fire it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    Is the downloadable one the DVD (not CD) version?
    If the DVD version doesn't need a disc in the drive all the time, that would be good.

edit: the download apparently doesn't need a disk in the drive...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Awesome find of that site. Found some of the oldies that would no longer load from the 3,5" disks.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Two copies in my bookshelf too, the original double CD and the "remastered" DVD version which remains in its factory wrap. I thought about getting another double CD a while ago as I saw one in a second hand shelf in a local store but overkill is overkill, I'm pretty sure the existing ones will do the job as long as necessary.

Like to know where the DVD's, etc come from..never enough!!

Hmmmmmm...

The download is a copy of someone's non-vanilla installation, not the installer. No use for installing from scratch, bother: back to eBay methinks.
    Tom

I still prefer a CD version compared to a download. A download is convenient, but like hairyspin found out, you can't be too sure exactly what you are getting. My big concern has always been viruses, root kits, malware and other nasty things you can get into. It is nice to have that Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity sticker on the side of the box so I know exactly what I have, and for $10, I couldn't say no. I had a malware not too long ago that prevented Windows update from running, and it was a pain to get rid of. Needless to say now I am a lot more careful about what I download from the internet.

Lt. Heinz Becker

Members who have read this thread: 27