FSX/P3d Native C-119?

Thread: FSX/P3d Native C-119?

FSX/P3d Native C-119?

Hello!
    I've been stalking this forum for a long time now, and I've seen the question pop up a couple times, but, I'm here to pose it in a slightly different manner.
    I'm an avid lover of the C-119 Flying Boxcar, and, an amateur 3D modeler. I can push pixels and screw with vertices. Some of my beginning model work ended up in the Narwhal submarine mod posted at Subsim.com. But, having seen that there is no NATIVE FSX C-119, and I find the Daisuke Yamamoto version a little lacking (The cowlings on the engines, for instance, are too large and the bell housings on the front are too large) I was planning on developing one myself. But the task has such proved more than a little daunting.
    It sucks because I was also looking at doing an AC-119 version as well.
    The big thing is that I have zero experience with building animations. And I found a C-119 model that I can kitbash a little with some guidance.
    I'd love to build one for all the other Boxcar fanatics out there but I simply haven't the skills.
    But I do have tenacity and ambition, and a model I can tear apart and build into a more accurate C-119 without digging into animations and the like. I can lay down diagrams left and right to help build an accurate VC, I have plenty of pictures and I can sketch out a good period panel in a heartbeat.
    My question to everyone is, I can provide as much help as possible and, as I said, a decent model.
    Is there a person or group of people willing to help me make this a reality? I'm also not a shabby texturer....

SH427

PS. I know 99% of the time when this plane pops up promises are made and progress is hinted at and then nothing. I fully intend to not let that happen.

well im not able to help...but id sure love to have the C-119 in an airtanker version........

I think you've come to the right place for that. Lots'a folks interested in planes for old people here and probably willing to lend a hand.

Animating stuff in a basic fashion is no rocket science.
    Basically, you animate your part with keyframes and then tag said part with a suitable animation in (G)Max' "Animation Manager". Some constraints apply tom stuff like rotation direction or deflection angle or similar, but they've been discussed so often before that you will find an answer here or over at FS Developer.
    Writing custom code to drive animations is a bit more tricky and requires a programmer's mindset and a leap of faith, but they're doable as well.

In any case, I wouldn't make my willingness to develop dependent on the participation of others. Be mentally prepared to go all the way on your own in the worst case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    planes for old people

really?...i mean really?....for old people?...wow..thats like hittin below the belt.....

kids these day eh guys?.........or shall i refer to yall as old fogeys?....

and Bjoern?...this is for you buddy....

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    and Bjoern?...this is for you buddy....

Heheheheheheh.

Well, think about it...
    With the average age among the membership (about 115 years) and the inclination to fly anything that does *not* contain one of the following...
    - Glass cockpits
    - Seating for more than a hundred
    - FMCs
    - Computers in general
    - A selfie of the better/worse half stuck to the centerpost
    - Music from the 90s to the 10s
    - Funny cat videos on the iPad that is used as an electronic flight bag
    ...I think I've got a pretty good foundation for this assessment.

Don't be sad though...I think the guys at CalClassics are even older as they still marvel at the novelty of a turbojet.

*Hops into hybrid car and makes a run for it while listening to hipster music while sipping a triple straberry cinnamon frappucchino and looking forward to new episodes of his favourite v-logger*

Heheheheheheh.

Well, think about it...
    With the average age among the membership (about 115 years) and the inclination to fly anything that does *not* contain one of the following...
    - Glass cockpits
    - Seating for more than a hundred
    - FMCs
    - Computers in general
    - A selfie of the better/worse half stuck to the centerpost
    - Music from the 90s to the 10s
    - Funny cat videos on the iPad that is used as an electronic flight bag
    ...I think I've got a pretty good foundation for this assessment.

Don't be sad though...I think the guys at CalClassics are even older as they still marvel at the novelty of a turbojet.

*Hops into hybrid car and makes a run for it while listening to hipster music while sipping a triple straberry cinnamon frappucchino and looking forward to new episodes of his favourite v-logger*
    your point?.....i mean afterall, the only thing i understood about all the above is the funny cats videos...got to watch ellen for those...and watch that hybrid car.....my jazzy powerchair could smoke that thing ya know.....

It sure is nice to be an old fart (I'm not even 30 yet)

Oh well. back to work

Quote Originally Posted by SH427 View Post
    It sure is nice to be an old fart (I'm not even 30 yet)

Oh well. back to work

LOL..dont give up man...lots of us want this..i just finished watching the DVD fire bomber...great section on the 119 as a tanker

Hey Bjoern, what's a cool dude like yourself doin' hangin' out with us old farts?

SH427, seems like you have the foundations of a modeller already there. If you already have some poly pushing, vertex screwing, texture gluing experience then you have more than many others who can't spell Gmax and you have an enthusiasm for the C-119. You'll never know until you try, so get busy!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SH, if you still need examples for FSX aircraft:
    https://code.google.com/p/fsx-dornier-328/ For 3DS Max 9, has a download for source files.
    I've sent you a PM for an example for a GMax made aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Hey Bjoern, what's a cool dude like yourself doin' hangin' out with us old farts?
    Entertainment and civil service type of stuff (help the elderly).

Entertainment and civil service type of stuff (help the elderly).
    Don't listen to him - he thinks we are too senile to read his other posts (like the Bf-109 thread) where he admits...

- Edit:
    Too slow in every regard. Gettin' old...
    Now SH427, while Bjoern mutters in the background we'll get back to your dilemma.

...but I simply haven't the skills.
    But I do have tenacity and ambition, and a model I can tear apart...
    The tenacity and ambition will overcome the lack of skills if you apply them. There are people here who will help with all sorts of things but I'll bet they will be more forthcoming if you grind away (probably learning a few new things along the way), then wave your hand and ask specific questions when you run up against a serious roadblock. As has been said, that sort of help will probably appear quicker, and with less input from (as it was known in the OLD days) the 'peanut gallery' when it's a direct question and asked over in the developer's forum here or even on FSDeveloper.

Would we like to see a C-119 for FSX, YES! Even better if it came from the hard work of someone new to the world of modeling!

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Hey Guys! sorry for the lack of updates. I've been hard at work on the model itself. I built a rough copy, and now I'm going through and adding the tons of detail I feel the aircraft should have. And, I will admit, this aircraft won't be freeware anymore. I've been contacted to build one for a payware company, who, until I know my limits, will remain nameless. You're welcome to guess though. No pictures though, it's a rough model and it's not much to look at anyway
    works still in progress! No worries!

Awesome! Really excited about this. I'd definitely love to help with textures when you're ready. Maybe slap 8 doors underneath for a tanker version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0531011219.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	7020

hey tanker guy..the other night when i was talking to Phil Wallick ,he was telling me that he sat at GV ATB and watched these C-119s fly in and out...that musta been a thing to see...

Yeah I bet Phil has some great stories! He sent me a copy of his DVD a couple months ago. Great Footage

Quote Originally Posted by tankerguy72 View Post
    Yeah I bet Phil has some great stories! He sent me a copy of his DVD a couple months ago. Great Footage
    oh yeah..great dvd that...id like to have that razorback T6 tanker in FSX,it was fun talking to him ,we had so many people we knew in common..cool guy to talk to

News?

It's been a while since the last post on this. Any more news? Freeware? Payware? Anywhere? I have downloaded all the C-119's I can find and all of them I have are lacking one thing or another, and mostly a lot of stuff. I'm now hard into P3D and that's part of the problem as not everything from FSX works in P3D. As an old ex Boxcar driver, I sure would like to have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingboxcar View Post
    It's been a while since the last post on this. Any more news? Freeware? Payware? Anywhere? I have downloaded all the C-119's I can find and all of them I have are lacking one thing or another, and mostly a lot of stuff. I'm now hard into P3D and that's part of the problem as not everything from FSX works in P3D. As an old ex Boxcar driver, I sure would like to have a good one.
    This is one of those airplanes from my past that I would love to have in P3D, but like you've mentioned, the ones that are available are so long in the tooth that they're little more than a flying shell in P3D. The C-119 was my transportation on a flight from Perrin AFB in North Texas to Stewart AFB in Upstate New York in the late 60's. . .it was an experience.

Members +
    HB, Ca.-Seattle,Wa.-Fujieda-Shizuoka-Japan
    Phil and I go back quite a few years ago. His father and my grandfather were both cops in Pomona, Ca (his dad made chief) We'd go to Catalina all the time. They had boats docked next one another in Long Beach years back when I was growing up. Anyone here whether Phil fared the fires ok up in Paradise, Ca?
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 22H2 Build 19045.4123
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)
    Core i7 3770K
    G-Skill Trident X 32GB DDR3 CL7-8-8-24
    Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB
    1TB Crucial MX500 SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    2TB PNY CS900 SSD
    LG Blue Ray Burner DL
    Rosewill mid tower Challenger
    Corsair RM 750 PSU
    Inateck KU5211 USB 3.2 Adapter
    LTERIVER PCE-G2S4 PCIe 4port SATA card
    X56 HOTAS
    Grassmonkey Joseph II Puck
    Oculus Quest 2
    TM 2x MFD Cougar
    T-Mobile Home Internet 5G (KDV21)

SOH-CM-2023
    I've got a quick and dirty MCX conversion of the old FS9 Boxcar that had the engine pod, laying around my hard drive somewhere... I'll see if I can locate those pesky 1's and 0's somewhere...
    You can't take the sky from me...

Turbojet......one of those new tools you use to speed-dry dope on fabric........right?

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    This is one of those airplanes from my past that I would love to have in P3D, but like you've mentioned, the ones that are available are so long in the tooth that they're little more than a flying shell in P3D. The C-119 was my transportation on a flight from Perrin AFB in North Texas to Stewart AFB in Upstate New York in the late 60's. . .it was an experience.
    Airplane Heaven has a C-119 payware. I use it in P3d4.4, looks great. I am no expert on C-119 different versions, but check it out on the internet. Good luck --

Members who have read this thread: 67