O/T It's a sort of dual boot anyway...

Thread: O/T It's a sort of dual boot anyway...

O/T It's a sort of dual boot anyway...

I gave up on W7 because it doesn't do CFS3 as nicely as XP (yet...) but want W7 for SF2. So I had to find a work-around, and IT WORKS! That may not surprise you, but it does me.

I had to install XP in IDE mode, because there are no H/Z87 AHCI drivers for XP, or so I thought. Actually, there may be, but post-installing them could be amusing. W7 needs to be installed in AHCI mode to get it working perfectly, so I've now got two separate hard drives, and plug in the one I want, and alter the BIOS setting accordingly. As long as I set it right, it works.

No idea what happens if I leave them both plugged in... XP will BSOD in AHCI mode, in any case.

Will EasyBCD help here, or is it simply going to get in the way?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Hmmm. I don't think EasyBCD is going to help, because AHCI or IDE is set in the BIOS and takes effect before EasyBCD gets a look-in. Bother!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

True, but it might leave me able to leave both HDDs plugged in all the time, so I can get at files which are on the other drive. At the moment, I've got the two system drives and a third shared one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Nigel, not sure if it's a sensible comment, but maybe (gecko or someone) some time ago put upa post, where the trick might have been two drives with an OS on each and maybe sepaate game copy on each too..so the OS selected runs the games on the opposite drive. Maybe uslng the boot option on the later OS (say 7) "which OS do you you want to boot from?"..to to take care of it. Post did say it could be an occasional corruption issue. Wish I still had the book mark.

I think that was Rene, my dual boot attempt utterly failed, ended up making do with windows 7 and am now the happier for it.

Update - I now leave both drives plugged in at all times, but if I go into the BIOS and set it to AHCI. it boots into W7, and if I set it to IDE, it goes into XP. No need to do anything else. The only down side is that while in W7, all my HDs are accessible, in XP, only the non-W7 drives - so my XP OS drive and 'shared' drives - are.

It works for me...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Question No Dual Boot for me

My Windows 8 PC is an HP. I contacted HP and they said a dual boot would invalidate my warranty. I gave up on trying a dual boot of XP and Windows 8.

I will try MajorMagee's fix for ETO with Windows 8. He has instructions for separate installs for each five ERAs of ETO. See Ndicki's JAN 3, 2014 thread.

Maybe MajorMagee's fix would work for Rising Sun. Has anyone tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by ndicki View Post
    It works for me...
    Sounds like a result Nigel! (phew...!)
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Members who have read this thread: 24