France Confirms Horsepower Reduction Coming To Sprint Cup

Thread: France Confirms Horsepower Reduction Coming To Sprint Cup

Lightbulb France Confirms Horsepower Reduction Coming To Sprint Cup

So how will they impose a horsepower limit?

Will every engine have to be put on a dyno before qualifying and racing?

Will they simply require a specific RPM limiter module for the ignition system?

Will they reduce engine size?

Or will all races become restrictor plate races?
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Steve Byrnes said (no plates). Engine redesign package being worked on. The purpose seems to be for engine life and reduced expense per race along with safety.

Cool

How about really big engines?

Attachment 6241
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Now that's a big engine!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    How about really big engines?

Attachment 6241

whats this from?....good looking unit.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    So how will they impose a horsepower limit?

Will every engine have to be put on a dyno before qualifying and racing?

Will they simply require a specific RPM limiter module for the ignition system?

Will they reduce engine size?

Or will all races become restrictor plate races?

Good questions!
    F1 only limited RPM and/or boost.

How the heck do ya' limit horsepower?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    whats this from?....good looking unit.
    Train Simulator 2014 Dave.
    Just for something different.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post

Good questions!
    F1 only limited RPM and/or boost.

How the heck do ya' limit horsepower?
    Good question, I guess they will do it in the same way they require all drivers and teams to race at 100%.

The simplest and easiest way to make the drivetrain more durable would be to use 7000 rpm limiter chips. And even with that you will still see failures. It is inevitable with manufacturing that some defective parts will make it into the product line.

Hey All,

100% is relative to the team you are on. If it mean't go all out all the time that would be pretty dumb racing - no strategy just hope you have the best surviving car. Who would want that? And at the plate tracks how would 100% ever allow a driver to sit in the back till the end? Never was the 100% rule intended in this way. The intent was/is to stop team racing strategically positioning drivers and really matters at the end of the year.

I've no idea how they are going to limit horsepower - rev limiters are the obvious but I suspect it will be - as suggested in that article - a "new" car and have to do with more than just the engine.

Now trains are nice I hear but I've actually never been on a train and trains have to have tracks.

I prefer this for big.

From Farm Simulator.

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Icon2

Another rule change...
    One step close to becoming a Spec Racing (IROC) series....

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    ... How the heck do ya' limit horsepower?
    As Terry has pointed out above, the way they're going to reduce HP is by making a new (smaller) engine, as opposed to “limiting” the HP of existing engines with plates and such. As for enforcing the new HP limits, I imagine they'll do it the same way they're doing it now. Teams can't stick in any engine they please. It has to be an “approved” engine, right? So, next year the approved engine will be different. Smaller.

Will it make better racing? Heck, who knows? It certainly won't make worse racing, as Ed has already explained. But better? I'll bet not. Both the Trucks and Nationwide series have better racing (well, if it wasn't for Gibbs Racing playing in the little league games that is...) But why? Is there something about the Big Time Money And Sponsorship in Cup that is making drivers cautious? They're all driving the same equipment, after all. Maybe they all make so much money up there in Cup that racing for the sake of racing has become less important. I have no idea. Whatever it is, I don't think less horse power will fix it.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Question

Rev Limit = Good Idea
    HP Limit/reduce = bad idea

What's the limit?
    What's the threshold before penalty?

Cars dyno'd after every race?

Wild guess here but: Same way they do it now, but, erase "950" and substitute "750"... ?
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

I would hope there would be a corresponding decrease in down force so that the driver still has to hustle the car somewhat.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Wild guess here but: Same way they do it now, but, erase "950" and substitute "750"... ?
    But today's 950 is only an estimate....what's the 750 and estimate or limit?

Quote Originally Posted by joe bob View Post
    I would hope there would be a corresponding decrease in down force so that the driver still has to hustle the car somewhat.

Ok, so NASCAR mandates a reduction in engine size, say from the current 5.86L down to 4.8L. Bore and stroke dimensions will be reduced, this will reduce horsepower, but shorter stroke engines can usually reach higher RPMs than longer stroke engines. I don't think horsepower is what is leading to drivetrain failure, I think it is the very high RPMs to which the drivetrain is subjected.

Can NASCAR become the same as IROC, yes, they certainly can and I expect they will have the same fan base as IROC. Where is IROC today? It's gone.

And by the way, are we really seeing a higher incidence of equipment failure?

NASCAR's point in all this is to preserve engine life and expense. They said the HP cut would be around 75 to 100 but when you change HP you must make major changes to the car as well. The best racing comes when a driver has more power than he can use. In other words the engine never reaches max revs in high gear, this gives the driver throttle response at all times and the engine never runs flat out which increases it's life. To achieve this you have to get rid of some of the aero, down force, and tire grip so that the car is slower overall. Your basically taking it back to the 70's - 80's era.

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    To achieve this you have to get rid of some of the aero, down force, and tire grip so that the car is slower overall.
    This is what F1 has done...But agreed, you need way more power than grip!

Members who have read this thread: 9