Backdate without generic airport buildings

Thread: Backdate without generic airport buildings

Backdate without generic airport buildings

Hi,

I would like to backdate FS9 resp. to have all generic airport buildings deleted. Is there a way to achieve that in some few steps?

Thanks for your advices.

Bernard

Members +
    It has already been done.. Have a look at 'Golden Wings'...
    http://oldhangararchive.jrwilliamsart.us/

Some amazing old stuff there & the Golden Wings downloads are at the bottom of the page.

It's great stuff.

Yes, I know and have Golden Wings installed. But it just delete - some - airport buildings in the States, not elsewhere in the world. So it's amlost useless for my project.

Bernard

Members +
    It's been a long time since I've flown my GW, but I could be mistaken, about all the airpors being taken out/regressed. Anyhow, if not, I hope it is going to be easy to sort out. What era are you thinking of doing?

GW3 regresses some airports in the States, but the rest of the world remains by default. For the moment I intend to keep only the Afcads generated by the APxxxxxx files in the main scenery folder.

Bernard

Using a program like Instant Scenery will allow you to make thumbnails of all objects including the default buildings. Using the thumbnails you can locate the buildings you don't want and move them where FS9 won't find them.

If you want to work on one airport at a time, you can use Exbuilder V.2 to remove the stock buildings, trees ect.

You can download it here:http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/Design.htm

Dave
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

At selective airports I already use ExcBuilder for removing generic buildings. But about thousand airfields would be concerned ...

Bernard

You'll have to do it one airport at a time with Airport Design Editor.

I'm very, very, very slowly putting my FSX airports back into the 1980s...it's a bloody tedious task, but I've got time. I modify as I go, say I don't have any specific pattern. If I want to fly a particular route, I simply modify the origin and destination airport(s) beforehand.

The really annoying thing is that FS doesn't have any generic airport buildings! A limited number of big airports have custom buildings, but the rest of FS's gazillion airports either have generic buildings of kinds that don't belong on airports, or they're small fields that have no buildings at all. The large majority of airports in FS are cluttered with office buildings, apartments and warehouses, but have nothing that even remotely resembles a terminal or a hangar. Aside from those few big airports with their custom buildings, control towers seem to be the only type of generic airport building in the sim.

Maybe the lack of generic hangars and terminals was deliberate, MS's way of inspiring people to create and release add-on airport sceneries.

More likely, MS just forgot to put hangars and terminals in the sim.
    (sigh...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Maybe the lack of generic hangars and terminals was deliberate, MS's way of inspiring people to create and release add-on airport sceneries.

More likely, MS just forgot to put hangars and terminals in the sim.
    (sigh...)
    There's 10000+ airports in FS9 alone. I'm 101% sure that MS had more important things to do than putting halfway accurate buildings onto every airport.

Most of the default terminals are in the OBxxxx files, found in the default scenery. These can be inactivated (by adding .orig to the end) and they will disappear. This will not remove other things like GA hangars, etc. There is an OB file for each small group of airports.

Hope this helps,

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    There's 10000+ airports in FS9 alone. I'm 101% sure that MS had more important things to do than putting halfway accurate buildings onto every airport.
    Yeah, but they could've made some generic hangars. With 10000+ airports in FS, there can be no excuse for failing to include any generic hangars!

If they'd put generic hangars in FS but forgot apartment and office buildings, would you make excuses for them filling FS9's 100000+ cities and towns with hangars and control towers?

Would you???

It was just another stupid MS mistake, like when they admittedly forgot to put in all those bridges and stuff. At least then they had the sense to issue a patch to add them in. They could've easily done the same with generic hangars, but they didn't bother.

?? There are hangars at almost every airport. They are those pink/brown buildings with multipart doors. I agree they look very little like typical hangars, though. They may be modeled after a hangar in Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by tgibson View Post
    Most of the default terminals are in the OBxxxx files, found in the default scenery. These can be inactivated (by adding .orig to the end) and they will disappear. This will not remove other things like GA hangars, etc. There is an OB file for each small group of airports.

Hope this helps,
    Yes, it seems to help, even I actually applied it with Golden Wings only. Based on some few checks, I effectively got there an almost "virgin" world. Thanks Tom!

Bernard

Members who have read this thread: 44