Windows 8

Thread: Windows 8

Windows 8

Help!

If I change something in a aircraft.cfg it has no effect! I can bring it out to the desktop to change it (not allowed in program files!), but after putting it back the old .cfg file seems to still be valid! What is happening here???

Cees

Permissions or lack of them.

I wrote this for Windows 7 it might apply to Windows 8 I am not sure.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post570809

The key is you must give your log on ID full permissions to the FS9 folder. Once that is done you should be able to edit files at will.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

This is what you need.

Recommended for all those who have installed FS in the default directories.

Dave

Thank you!

Thank you! That is very helpfull!

Cees

Glad to help. Please make sure that you take ownership from the base FS directory. It'll hoover up all the subdirectories and files automatically.

You'll also need to keep the download somewhere safe, as service packs can overwrite the settings.

Dave

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    Glad to help. Please make sure that you take ownership from the base FS directory. It'll hoover up all the subdirectories and files automatically.

You'll also need to keep the download somewhere safe, as service packs can overwrite the settings.

Dave
    Man, am I glad I'm still XP!!!

This stuff gives me the creeps - FS turning into a monsterous Jekkyl that scoops up all in its path!

sounds like window HATE!
    Last edited by nigel richards; March 25th, 2014 at 22:26.
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Windows 8 might the following meaningless (I run 7) but two other causes that I know of are relatively simple. First is right click on the offending notepad file and make sure attributes doesn't have read only checked. Second involved FS itself and something about the last saved flight being the one using the current aircraft. Usually selecting another aircraft the going back to the first does the trick. I often change something visual like a light to see if a cfg edit took effect too.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Blog Entries

Icon28 Hi... I am from the govt and am here to help you....

Quote Originally Posted by aeromed202 View Post
    Windows 8 might the following meaningless (I run 7) but two other causes that I know of are relatively simple. First is right click on the offending notepad file and make sure attributes doesn't have read only checked. Second involved FS itself and something about the last saved flight being the one using the current aircraft. Usually selecting another aircraft the going back to the first does the trick. I often change something visual like a light to see if a cfg edit took effect too.
    Only here it turns into... "Hi, I am from Microsoft and I am here to help you...."
    I've been battling the permissions war and "you need permission from the administrator" since W7... and now Windows 8 (in my fancy super rig built by my son...)

It seems that MS is basically addressing multiple user computers with a company administrator...and we poor individual owners are left out in the cold...
    this rig-am-a-roll of permissions... and blocking files coming from outside the network, etc. - I guess - makes sense in company networks where they want to keep
    employees in line... but ... pray tell... I don't need to ask my own permission to work on files.. I AM THE FRIGGING AMINISTRATOR!!!! I OWN THE FRIGGIN COMPUTER!!!
    For crying out loud... if I DOWNLOAD SOMETHING... it is because I trust the source... if I want to change attributes... it's because I want to...
    If I screw up the system... so be it... I OWN IT!!!
    Mr. MS.... don't try to help me... my motto is "if it ain't broke DON'T fix it... and don't re-invent the wheel"!!!
    Make different DISK OPERATING SYSTEMS for institutions and don't mess with individual owners... who are responsible to themselves!
    Back in the 80s... when men were men... lol... they had Window for Work Groups... (good for institutional users) and just plain Windows for regular folks...
    I seems that instead of getting better they get SNAFU'ed.... probably the average programmers at MS are whiz kids in their early 20s...
    whose mommies and daddies never taught them to think out of the box....
    Cheers,
    G

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/

A very useful site for both W7 and W8.
    Tweaks available to 'Grant Administrator Full Control' etc.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Blog Entries

`Where are those tweaks

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/

A very useful site for both W7 and W8.
    Tweaks available to 'Grant Administrator Full Control' etc.
    Where specifically are those tweaks to 'Grant Administrator full control" etc.?

Members who have read this thread: 44