Lockheed S-3 Viking - The Sequel Thread - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Lockheed S-3 Viking - The Sequel Thread

Blog Entries
    I'm into realism, in fact the more the better...please leave the scratches.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

...The scratches will stay, but I am considering to provide alternate textures for those who do not want them.
    I am also looking into the working mirrors for P3DV2 - they are easy to implement but they need a bespoke vc model... will do that once it is consolidated (although it seems there are no big issues)...

Dino

Jet windshields are rarely scratched. The type I fly is quite a large fleet with a utilization rate of 10.8 hours a day, operating in high density traffic areas (I'm based at Atlanta Hartsfield, which is the busiest airport in the world), and I fly a lot. You just don't often get them...except for once in awhile, and it may only be one tiny little scratch.

no more scratches

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cattaneo View Post
    Thanks for the appreciation - I knew the new glass would have been somewhat controversial... the attempt is to try to render the small scratches / wrinkles that affect such kind of parts (btw the best rendition for such effect is in Microsoft Flight - yes, the infamous one).

As you guessed the "scratch" (I do not remember the file name by heart) governs that effect. It is better to replace it with a 64x64 black bitmap rather than removing it. Scracth was completely absent from 0.9.
    I
    Dino
    took your advice. Much better now (for me ). Thanks for tip.

Is there any chance you might upgrade the windows to a bit darker shade? The tinting is a feature that is very visible on the S-3.

Hello,

-Thank you Dino!

Alain

-

Wing fold.

Per the S-3B NATOPS the time to fold the wings takes 20 seconds,

If your interested in getting a more realistic sequence make the below change in the aircraft.cfg file.

The numbers displayed are decimal equivalent of percent per second.

[Folding_wings]
    wing_fold_system_type=4
    //fold_rates=0.14,0.13
    fold_rates=0.05,0.0487

Russ
    Many may fly and some are rewarded
    handsomely, but the wings of gold of a
    United States Naval Aviator mean more
    than flying. It is dearly bought, requires
    sacrifice to keep and represents a way of life.

Wing fold time is one change I forgot to make.
    Will look into the darker tint.

...and in general, my apologies if I miss somethings, I try to listen to *ALL* the feeback I get (and it is quite a lot) and I keep track (thorugh a CR spreasheet) of it...but sometimes I miss some specific items (this is for Russ who already pointed out the incorrect wing folding time).

I guess I'll have to update the S-3 sooner than I expected... sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cattaneo View Post
    ...The scratches will stay, but I am considering to provide alternate textures for those who do not want them.
    Dino
    Dino,this would be great(whitout more tinted glass)!
    And many thanks for the 1.0.
    Mike

Dino Thx for this Excellent Plane, love it.
    There is a Little Bug on the Model.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Projekt1.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	12288

Hope someone comes out with some cleaner paints. S-3's for the most part when they were gray and white were keep pretty clean.

outstanding job Mr. Cattaneo. Thank you. -

-Damien

Quote Originally Posted by big-mike View Post
    Dino,this would be great(whitout more tinted glass)!
    And many thanks for the 1.0.
    Mike

+1 from me

Thanks Dino for thinking about options on canopy glass

Many, many thanks for all your generosity and hard work.

DEAS GU CATH

Dino,

As a suggestion to the glass issue, maybe you could "borrow" a page from the Cessna 150-K 'Ti Bush:

They offered a few glass options including the scratch effect and a few others. See #50 on link below

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ench-VFR/page2

This is from their manual and addresses the various glass options:

Reflections on windows:
    In Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\C150-K TiBush\... we will find an alternatives directory.
    This directory contains textures files which can modifiy reflections on the aircraft windows. We have work on theses textures to mitigate theses reflections which
    are too important in some cases.
    If you want to change theses reflections or if you prefer green /blue windows you have some replacement textures in this directory alternatives:
    7 files for glass_CV.dds et 3 files for glass_ext.dds
    How to:
    a) In C150-K TiBush\texture\ rename the 2 files glass_CV.dds et glass_ext.dds to glass_CV.dds.sav et glass_ext.dds.sav
    b) Copy the 2 textures chosen in the alternatives directory in the C150-K TiBush\Texture\
    c) Rename theses files to glass_CV.dds et glass_ext.dds

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Dino,

As a suggestion to the glass issue, maybe you could "borrow" a page from the Cessna 150-K 'Ti Bush:

They offered a few glass options including the scratch effect and a few others. See #50 on link below

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ench-VFR/page2

This is from their manual and addresses the various glass options:

Reflections on windows:
    In Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\C150-K TiBush\... we will find an alternatives directory.
    This directory contains textures files which can modifiy reflections on the aircraft windows. We have work on theses textures to mitigate theses reflections which
    are too important in some cases.
    If you want to change theses reflections or if you prefer green /blue windows you have some replacement textures in this directory alternatives:
    7 files for glass_CV.dds et 3 files for glass_ext.dds
    How to:
    a) In C150-K TiBush\texture\ rename the 2 files glass_CV.dds et glass_ext.dds to glass_CV.dds.sav et glass_ext.dds.sav
    b) Copy the 2 textures chosen in the alternatives directory in the C150-K TiBush\Texture\
    c) Rename theses files to glass_CV.dds et glass_ext.dds
    While this is a cool idea....why wouldn't someone want a more true to life tint to the windows? Seems we beg for accuracy a lot on forum, but a very common and distinctive tint to a window would seem to be an obvious must have to make the plane more realistic. Actually, on the main canopy there is an additional shaded area on the top sections over the pilot and copilot in addition to the normal window tint.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawka4m View Post
    While this is a cool idea....why wouldn't someone want a more true to life tint to the windows? Seems we beg for accuracy a lot on forum, but a very common and distinctive tint to a window would seem to be an obvious must have to make the plane more realistic. Actually, on the main canopy there is an additional shaded area on the top sections over the pilot and copilot in addition to the normal window tint.

I just threw that out there for consideration. It really doesn't matter (to me) if any of this comes to fruition. Just offered as suggestions.

10-4

Well, IMHO, everybody has a slightly different perception of what a model should look like.
    If I recall correctly from my philosophy class in high school, Plato wanted to banish the painter from his ideal Republic - as trying to mimic the reality on an image is foolish and a waste of time.
    On a more basic level, in my opinion, the a good model is not necessarily "realistic" (in terms that it should mimic a photography) but rather convey the idea of what it tries to represent.
    For some reason I am not terribly happy with the S-3. It is difficult to say why, but it fails to convince me and I do not think it is my best model yet. It is also true that, so far, no major issues have been highlighted and users seem to like it.
    Anyway, as for the glass, I will provide an alternate texture that removes the scratches/wrinkles - although they will stay as default because I like them. The T-45C upgrade will have them, and will also have the alternate texture.

As for the wing hinge, I knew about the misalignment - there is a problem in the model so tha if I align the hinge properly the wings would clash - I will have a look and see if I can improve it but most likely I cannot.

I will let the Viking apart for few days and see if other issues arise - then I will make an update.

Thanks for your feedback and appreciation.

Name:	image.jpg 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	12312Click image for larger version. 

Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	12313
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	12315 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	12316
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Thank you Dino, for your generous gifts and continuous support to improve them.

Jeff
    I pass gas!

Yes, ditto for me, too. Thanks for the great models. Outstanding work!

Very nice, always good to see another Hoover being an old crew member of one. There was a feeling something was a bit off as I looked at all the pics in this thread tho, the crew scale seemed funny, I don't recall the rear windows being so big compared to the pilots size. Then while looking at real pics I found what I was looking for. Sorry, I don't mean for it to sound like criticizm but the model just feels 'weird' when I look at the ingame screenies. Just an observation.

Attachment 12324
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Members who have read this thread: 38