Glowing Heat B-58 Hustler for FSX on Flightsim Store!!! - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Glowing Heat B-58 Hustler for FSX on Flightsim Store!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    I'm just fiddling around with Alpha Channels and a little color replacement, as I learn the ropes of repainting...CenturySeries, I hope you don't mind...I won't make this one available without proper permissions...Not even sure what the actual aircraft looks like in RL...Just a little fictitious fun! All WIP, of course.
    I like that Rick

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Looks better by the day...!

One thought - do we really need those MSFS icons??

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Looks better by the day...!

One thought - do we really need those MSFS icons??

DaveQ
    Seems some peeps like them [they're on everything]...though when I get 'creative' I hook them into 'real' switches on the panel...

Panel is coming along...
    Now has functioning Gear handle and Stick...and redid the gear lights to align correctly with the photo background...indexer reflection in glass...tidied up the fire-handles...
    ...still haven't found a suitable gauge for that thing left of the Ralt....

Attachment 7888

Eventually the gauges that don't have it will get glass...

Found another set of photos with info re gauges so could assign some I'd been unsure of.... seems that odd thing left of the Ralt was a clock in this ver...and the Ralt wasn't...it was a Tot Fuel Flow...

Getting knobs and buttons to function - and still remain close-ish to the original photo...need to redo the gauge glass refs...and yet to get the throttles functioning...

Attachment 8037

Alternate Snoopy I

WIP -- Adding some weathering to the engines panel lines, and some highspeed oil smears to the ailerons. I've decided to test out what bug spatter might look like on the gear tube covers...still very much WIP.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Found another set of photos with info re gauges so could assign some I'd been unsure of.... seems that odd thing left of the Ralt was a clock in this ver...and the Ralt wasn't...it was a Tot Fuel Flow...

Getting knobs and buttons to function - and still remain close-ish to the original photo...need to redo the gauge glass refs...and yet to get the throttles functioning...

Attachment 8037
    Those of us who worked on the original Alphasim version still have all the books. Do you need something looked up? Also keep in mind, are you working from a photo of a trainer or a bomber?

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Those of us who worked on the original Alphasim version still have all the books. Do you need something looked up? Also keep in mind, are you working from a photo of a trainer or a bomber?
    Indeed, although mine will soon be relegated to the top of the book shelf. The VC has gauges in their right places if you need a visual reference of an operational bomber.

http://50.137.56.231/b-58/crew_pilot.cfm
    This is the page I found - with the list/placement of the gauges. Seems there was more than one 'layout' for the 58...a bit like the 105 [I have just about every book printed on the Thud] where I even saw the ATT/HSI placements reversed in an otherwise identical panel. It took quite a bit of fundamental rewrite of some xml [and graphics] to end up with my 2D of that one [learning on-the-go]...

Took me 13 'windows' to get all that to look right...alphas and masks for all sorts of things...but 'everything' functions...even the probe in 2D. The only disappointment was/is the internals of the canopy...I think I'll need to get to the US and con someone to let me get into one and take photos...

Attachment 8059

Note the mirrors...and the functioning reflections of them [and the gauges] in the canpy glass [ignoring they lift with the canopy opening....hadn't worked out how to replicate them as static AND disappear as the glass lifted....and yep, even the maplight and switch 'works'...

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Frank...hi....thanks for the offer...

These two critters in this photo....finding a 'matching' Mach meter has been a no-go [so far]...and the 'thing' at the bottom...it's hard-modelled in the VC of the Glowingheat but it's not at all in the Alpha 58.... and those controls on the left panel...

Attachment 8060

Here's the photo that I started the panel from/with ...

Attachment 8061
    Last edited by Jafo; May 9th, 2014 at 18:22. Reason: added photo

These two critters in this photo....finding a 'matching' Mach meter has been a no-go [so far]...and the 'thing' at the bottom...it's hard-modelled in the VC of the Glowingheat but it's not at all in the Alpha 58.... and those controls on the left panel...

Attachment 8060

Here's the photo that I started the panel from/with ...

Attachment 8061
    Hi Jafo,

The lower instrument you have circled I used a little artistic licence with. It's supposed to be the Pilots Data Indicator which shows distance to destination, groundtrack and seconds to go. I modelled the VC to represent this gauge using GPS information, so when you're flying towards the next waypoint it will show you distance to go and time to go.

The other items - well the pod drop button was in the alpha B-58 and is also in the Glowingheat B-58 - that is the bottom left small switch, while the other two are - top small circle Bailout Alert switch, bottom right small circle is the Landing Gear Downlock override button. Neither of which can really be successfully used in FSX.

2D panel looks good, there's only a few colour images of the panel, I'd love to go to the US and take a few photos of this panel and indeed the real aircraft. Oh and in case anyone is wondering where the Snoopy variant currently resides - well it's technically not scrapped, but it's not looked after either - it's in the desert near Edwards!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1952203.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	8070

Artistic Licence is what it's all about...

I think I'll stick with the alternate layout that has the clock left of the fuel flow...[tot fuel is behind the stick]...and slowly re-jig the others to more closely follow the photo it all started from.
    I've dispensed with the separate refuel and eng gauge windows as they're all 'functioning' within the main 2D ...all the knobs on the right panel now do 'stuff', and the throttle is animated [as a single - being lazy]...
    eventually gotta redo the bezels on all 24 eng gauges so they're less scruffy....

Attachment 8125

Created a rod for my own back with those bezels....24 of em...all different size/shape....gonna have to find a way to 'cheat' ...
    Last edited by Jafo; May 11th, 2014 at 20:38. Reason: added pic

Ah....lateral thinking....added a 'bezel' graphic as a gauge....about 28 times...worked slightly better than expected... Rewrote the ASI ...now off to hunt down a more 'correct' Mach meter than what I've been using...

Ultimately, the 2D panel has a 'well-used' look ....like after a few thousand hours over Vietnam [same Idea as my 105 panel]...

David has an eight hour jump on me since he lives at basically Zulu time.

From looking at your image with the yellow circles and comparing it to the B-58A flight manual here is what I find.

On the main panel that big gauge on the top row is the Airspeed-Mach Indicator.
    The gauge with the "V" shaped window is the Pilot's Data Indicator.

On the forward left console the red collared button is the Weapon Release Switch.
    The switch to the right of it should be a button and is the Landing Gear Downlock Override Button.
    The switch above it is the Bailout Alert Switch.

Frank ....thanks for the added info.
    Because I can't find something like that 'Pilot's Data Indicator' I went with that tabulated drawing I linked/showed earlier...that has a 3-gauge clock to the left of the Tot FF meter [and below the Alt].... that way it's possibly legitimate in at least one iteration...

Redid the ASI I was using...and the Machmeter as per the original photo... tidied up things via the bezels so here's the status quo...

Attachment 8154

I probably should quit cheating and animate the throttles separately...

I've been fiddling around with making a little more used cockpit...I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel just touch up the current textures...comments welcome. I'll be upfront, I may or may not know how to do what you might request as a change or critique...I'm just having a lot of fun doing what I can as I learn! I haven't hit every panel yet, and so what you see is still WIP... not quite sure how to not get the rudder pedals to bleed over like they are?

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Like the darkened, used cockpit look
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

I like the idea of an alternate 'scruffy' look to the VC innards...though I'm sort of de-scruffing my 2D...it's a bit too fuzzy round the edges...

Meanwhile...back at the other end of the 58 ... the frustration is still there...when these are the IDENTICAL 3 stage effects that don't work on 2 and 3 happily working on all 4 pipes...in the Alpha ver...

Attachment 8222

Well, it's getting closer...my skills are limited but I'm having a lot of fun and learning a lot!

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

I like the idea of an alternate 'scruffy' look to the VC innards...though I'm sort of de-scruffing my 2D...it's a bit too fuzzy round the edges...

Meanwhile...back at the other end of the 58 ... the frustration is still there...when these are the IDENTICAL 3 stage effects that don't work on 2 and 3 happily working on all 4 pipes...in the Alpha ver...

Attachment 8222
    The old Alphasim version is a port over in fsx and I believe the model is being treated differently to a native FSx model. I do not think there is anyway around this. I tried many different effects trying to determine whether it was an issue with effect radius but in the end AI settled on a hybrid modelled/fx driven burner because I couldn't get a pure fx effect to display properly on all four engines.

The worn cockpit looks good although I prefer cleaner cockpits, but it's just a matter of personal taste.

Thanks to the PC Aviator July 4th Sale I (finally) got the Hustler. First thing I did after installing was download the awesome repaints from Dave Quincey! On my 1st flight I noticed a nasty engine exhaust texture mapping issue. Then I found this thread and clearly I am not the only one having this issue. Anyway, I fixed it myself:

- Below 95% rpm, the engine burner cans were untextured black holes - now they are textured.
    - The inner engines burners were clipping out at certain viewing angles, now they are OK.
    - I also updated the [smokesystem]: Before, all engines would smoke depending on engine 1 rpm. Now each engine's smoke depends on the rpm of that particular engine.

I uploaded the fix to the SOH Library (category FSX Other)

Other than that, I am very happy with the Hustler, she handles very nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GH_B-58_Burners0.jpg   GH_B-58_Burners1.jpg   GH_B-58_Burners2.jpg  
    Last edited by hschuit; July 2nd, 2014 at 06:52.

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    Thanks to the PC Aviator July 4th Sale I (finally) got the Hustler. First thing I did after installing was download the awesome repaints from Dave Quincey! On my 1st flight I noticed a nasty engine exhaust texture mapping issue. Then I found this thread and clearly I am not the only one having this issue. Anyway, I fixed it myself:

- Below 95% rpm, the engine burner cans were untextured black holes - now they are textured.
    - The inner engines burners were clipping out at certain viewing angles, now they are OK.
    - I also updated the [smokesystem]: Before, all engines would smoke depending on engine 1 rpm. Now each engine's smoke depends on the rpm of that particular engine.

I uploaded the fix to the SOH Library (category FSX Other)

Other than that, I am very happy with the Hustler, she handles very nice.
    Thanks for the mods!

burners look great! everyone needs to get this

d

I just updated the file in the Library to v2 - adjusted the smoke/burner texture/FX RPM ranges to better match the power schedule from the manual - page 15:

Idle Thrust - 67% RPM : No smoke
    Taxi Thrust - 80-85% RPM : No smoke
    Dry Cruising Thrust - 85-100% RPM : Smoke on
    Min Afterburner - 100-101% RPM : Smoke on + low burner textures stages 2->4
    Max Afterburner - 101-106% RPM : Smoke off + medium/high burner textures stages 5->7 + burner flame
    Overspeed - 106% RPM : High burner textures stage 8 + burner flame
    Last edited by hschuit; July 3rd, 2014 at 08:28.

Members who have read this thread: 132